Vista cannot join SBS network

Morten Sørensen

Oct 9, 2007, 10:53:00 AM10/9/07
Hi

We have a updated SBS 2003 SP1 - all updates from Microsoft Update installed
- including the 926505 and 911829. The SBS is a premium without ISA enabled.
I have installed Vista Business client on a total clean computer.
All updates from Windows Update also installed on this computer.

Now I try to connect the Vista client to our SBS server - I uses the
\\server\connectcomputer homepage.

But when I press the Connect to the network I get an error. After it has
downloaded and runned nshelp.exe it displays the following:

"An error occured while trying to copy the Client setup files...."

I have tried the following without luck:
1) Disabled the firewall on the client
2) Trusted the server on the client.
3) Disabled Checksum offload on the server (and rebooted it)
4) Disabled offline files on the client.
5) Tried to copy the nshelp.dll to the client computer, but the folder is
read only and I cannot change that.

I will hope you can help me - because if not I will be forced to go back to
Windows XP.

Kind regards
Morten Sorensen

Mike Serbin

Oct 9, 2007, 11:56:00 AM10/9/07
Try turning off the user account control inside the control panel. The user
account control locks down parts of the C:\ drive that the wizard needs to
use in order to use connectComputer.

Colin

Oct 9, 2007, 2:22:05 PM10/9/07

Robert Li [MSFT]

Oct 11, 2007, 5:04:16 AM10/11/07
Hi Didier,

Thanks for posting in our newsgroup.

From your description, I know that you cannot run the connect computer
wizard on Vista machine and get the error message
"An error occured while trying to copy the Client setup files....". If
that's not right, please don't hesitate to let me know.

If the client passes the Client Operating System Check, setup will enter
the Start.htm page and ask you to download an ActiveX Control. If you
accept the download, the ActiveX Control (NSHelp Class - nshelp.dll) will
be copied from the server (http://ServerName/ConnectComputer/nshelp.dll) to
the client (%windir%\Downloaded Program Files). Please check if you have
full control permission for that folder.

In addition, please check the following:

Please check your IE security settings. Because SBS Network Configuration
Wizard is an ActiveX control which will be downloaded from server to client
while running start.htm, if the security settings for ActiceX control is
"denied", you cannot run it.

You may add the SBS 2003 server's IP address or FQDN to the clients' Local
Intranet zone:

1. On a client computer, start Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. On the Security tab, click Local intranet zone, and then click Sites.
4. Click Advanced.
5. In the Add this Web site to the zone box, type the ConnectComputer
server's IP address or the ConnectComputer server's FQDN
(servername.domainname.local), and then click Add.

Note You must type the ConnectComputer server's IP address or the
ConnectComputer server's FQDN in the http://IP address or http://FQDN
format.

6. Click OK, click OK, and then click OK.
7. Check again.

If the problem persists, please help me collect the following information
for deep research:

1. The screen shot of the error message when run the connectcomputer Wizard.

2. %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Clients\
SBSNetSetup.log

3. Run ipconfig /a >c:\ipconfig.txt and send c:\ipconfig.txt to me.

Please send the information to v-ro...@microsoft.com with subject:
40697494-Vista cannot join SBS network

I am looking forward to hear from you.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here: