Sharepoint Service, company web reinstallation

Rickuk99

Nov 17, 2005, 8:01:05 AM11/17/05
I can not reinstall the intranet component (company Web/ sharepoint) of SBS
2003 SP1, here's the history.

Installed server fine with sharepoint running fine from sbs 2003 with SP1
disks.
Upgraded to SBS Premium, followed the instructions for SQL and imported the
Sharepoint database.

All worked fine, sharepoint running on server looking at sql database
instance. I then had a problem with the sql, as it would not talk to
network only local server.

I uninstalled Sharepoint, i.e. rerun setup and ran maintenance to remove the
intranet component. Then uninstalled SQL, so far so good.

I then tried to reinstall sharepoint, i.e. intranet from sbs disks and the
installation fails. I have followed all the directions in KB 829114 and
still have the same problem. I have tried with and without sql installed
and always fails. I have attached some of the info from the event logs. I
believe the problem is with the server being SP1 however any help.

Event logs.
Msiinstaller 1015 - Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x800401F0

windows Sharepoint service 2.0 1000 - #50070: Unable to connect to the
database on butts01. Check the database connection information and make
sure that the database server is running.
windows Sharepoint service 2.0 1000 - #50070: Unable to connect to the
database sts_butts01 on butts01. Check the database connection information
and make sure that the database server is running.
windows Sharepoint service 2.0 1000 - #50070: Unable to connect to the
database on butts01. Check the database connection information and make
sure that the database server is running.

Charles Yang [MSFT]

Nov 17, 2005, 10:22:55 PM11/17/05
HI Rick,

Welcome to SBS newsgroup.

Issue description:
============

I understand that you want to reinstall the companyweb on your SBS 2003
premium.

Analyzing and suggestion:
=============

Before we go any further, can I assume that you could not reinstall
companyweb, the SBS installation failed? If so, we suggest you perform a
completely reinstall of companyweb then tried to reinstall the companyweb,
you can refer to my suggestion below:

I. Rename the registry keys and folders:

1. Rename HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer
2. Rename Program Files\Microsoft Integration\Windows Small
Business Server 2003 (If you are in the middle of RC to RTM upgrade, rename
Program Files\Microsoft Integration\Windows Small Business Server
2003\Release Candidiate instead)
3. Rename Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server
4. Verify Program Files\Windows for Small Business Server exists on
the server. If not, you need to send him a copy of the folder from your SBS
2003 server. (Or you can manually rebuild the files from CD1\Setup\i386)

II. Once we rename the registry keys and folders, SBS setup is going to be
running like the first time.

1. Insert SBS setup CD 1, and then run setupsbs.exe to rerun the
setup.
2. In the ''Component Selection'' page, make sure ''Server Tools''
and all the sub-components (including ''Intranet'') are selected to
INSTALL.
3. Once it is completed, click Start, click Control Panel, and then
click Add or Remove Programs.
4. Select Windows Small Business Server 2003 and then click
Change/Remove. The Setup Wizard appears.
5. Click Next to start the wizard.
6. On the Windows Configuration page, click Next.
7. On the Component Selection page, in the Action column, change
Server Tools to Maintenance, change Intranet component to Remove, and then
click Next.
8. On the Component Summary page, click Next.
9. Click Finish.

10. Uninstall Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (SHAREPOINT). In Add
or Remove Programs, select Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (SHAREPOINT)
and then click Remove. A dialog box appears. To confirm that you want to
remove, click Yes.

III. Delete Registry Keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\Intranet
2. Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\SHAREPOINT
3. Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web
Server Extensions\Ports\Port /LM/W3SVC/4: (Do not delete "Port
/LM/W3SVC/1:" because it is FrontPage Server Extension 2002 which is
installed on the Default WebSite. If you see additional "Port
/LM/W3SVC/X:", backup and then remove them)

IV. Delete IIS Virtual Directory:

1. Delete SharePoint Central Administration (Do Not Delete
Microsoft SharePoint Administration. It belongs to FronPage Server
Extension)

2. Delete Companyweb

Note: If AV software install any extra IIS virtual directory, also remove
them if possible. They sometimes use port 8081 which will conflict with our
SharePoint Central Administration virtual directory.

3. Delete Application Pool

There should be only 4 application pools (DefaultAppPool,
ExchangeApplicationPool, ExchangeMobileBrowseApplicationPool, and
MSSharePointAppPool). Besides those 4, delete all extra.

V. Rename Folders:

1. Rename C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SHAREPOINT
2. Rename C:\Inetpub\companyweb

NOTE: Location of the MSSQL$SHAREPOINT folder is determined by
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\Monitoring\MSDE_Location. Check
out this registry key and determine the real location of the folder.

VI. Clear the contents of the %temp% folder. If you are not able to clear
the contents then reboot the server or reboot into safe mode. Other
contents to clear would be in the c:\program files\Microsoft
Integration\Windows Small Business Server 2003\Logs everything inside of
the Logs folder.

Then do the following steps.

VII. Install the intranet component:

1. In Add or Remove Programs, select Windows Small Business Server
2003 and then click Change/Remove. The Setup Wizard appears.
2. Click Next.
3. On the Windows Configuration page, click Next.
4. On the Component Selection page, in the Action column, change
Server Tools to Maintenance, change Intranet component to Install, and then
click Next.
5. On the Logon Information page, click Next.
6. On the Component Summary page, click Next.
7. Click Finish.

VIII The Installation should still fail, then apply the patch located at:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CB7E90A1-DE9D-4A83-
85F8-951E9F055BF0&displaylang=en

IX. If companyweb still doesn't work, open up a command prompt and
navigate to the directory ''C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small
Business Server\Client Experience\Provision'', and then run the following
commands:

Note: It may take several minutes for this installation to complete; it is
a silent command. You can bring up task manager and look at the process
graph, when it stabilizes, it should be done.

stsprovision -path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business
Server\Client Experience\Provision -oeminstall -exch

stsprovision -path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business
Server\Client Experience\Provision -install -exch

Additional information:

These two sharepoint error indicate that your sharepoint is not worked
correctly, as your companyweb is not worked, so the error should be
cleared, if you have install the companyweb correctly.

For the MSI installer error, you may also refer to the following MS KB
article to un-register and re-register Windows Installer to verify if we
can get rid of this problem.

324516 "The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error message
when
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324516

We really appreciate your effort here, please carefully go through my
suggestion above to do a clear reinstall of companyweb. I will be glad to
be of further assistance.

Best regards,

Charles Yang (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
| From: "Rickuk99" <rick...@yahoo.com>
| Subject: Sharepoint Service, company web reinstallation
| Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:01:05 -0000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Rickuk99

Nov 18, 2005, 9:25:44 AM11/18/05
Many Thanks for your post Charles

Not sure if I am closer or further away,

Before taking the steps you advised, I have done some restores of files and
databases and have a half working site.

The error I get now when going to the company web page is "The virtual
server that is referenced here is not in the config database". If I looked
in sharepoint central administration, under virtual servers, my company web
is listed but "Not Administrable". Am I close or do I have to go through
you post.

Regards Richard

""Charles Yang [MSFT]"" <v-ch...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Charles Yang [MSFT]

Nov 20, 2005, 8:21:04 PM11/20/05
HI,

Thanks for updates.

It seems you perform a restore of companyweb, it seems to be expected error
messages, I am not sure if you have check the KB article below, it should
be helpful when you perform a disaster recovery for the companyweb.

827701 'How to perform a disaster recovery operation of SharePoint Services
- http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827701

I really appreciate your effort here, please strictly follow that article
which is very helpful to your issue.

Best regards,

Charles Yang (MSFT)