Backup Errors

Stevef

Oct 21, 2005, 9:45:04 PM10/21/05
PLEASE HELP / SERIOUS

I don't understand why no body is responding. I have been w/o any backups
for at least 2 weeks now. Please see event log below:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 12302
Date: 10/21/2005
Time: 8:29:43 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JAMINT
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An internal inconsistency was detected in
trying to contact shadow copy service writers. Please check to see that the
Event Service and Volume Shadow Copy Service are operating properly.

Data:
0000: 2d 20 43 6f 64 65 3a 20 - Code:
0008: 42 55 45 43 58 4d 4c 43 BUECXMLC
0010: 30 30 30 30 37 32 39 32 00007292
0018: 2d 20 43 61 6c 6c 3a 20 - Call:
0020: 42 55 45 43 58 4d 4c 43 BUECXMLC
0028: 30 30 30 30 37 32 31 39 00007219
0030: 2d 20 50 49 44 3a 20 20 - PID:
0038: 30 30 30 30 37 39 38 38 00007988
0040: 2d 20 54 49 44 3a 20 20 - TID:
0048: 30 30 30 30 37 38 39 36 00007896
0050: 2d 20 43 4d 44 3a 20 20 - CMD:
0058: 6e 74 62 61 63 6b 75 70 ntbackup
0060: 2e 65 78 65 20 62 61 63 .exe bac
0068: 6b 75 70 20 22 40 45 3a kup "@E:
0070: 5c 50 72 6f 67 72 61 6d \Program
0078: 20 46 69 6c 65 73 5c 4d Files\M
0080: 69 63 72 6f 73 6f 66 74 icrosoft
0088: 20 57 69 6e 64 6f 77 73 Windows
0090: 20 53 6d 61 6c 6c 20 42 Small B
0098: 75 73 69 6e 65 73 73 20 usiness
00a0: 53 65 72 76 65 72 5c 42 Server\B
00a8: 61 63 6b 75 70 5c 53 6d ackup\Sm
00b0: 61 6c 6c 20 42 75 73 69 all Busi
00b8: 6e 65 73 73 20 42 61 63 ness Bac
00c0: 6b 75 70 20 53 63 72 69 kup Scri
00c8: 70 74 2e 62 6b 73 22 20 pt.bks"
00d0: 2f 64 20 22 53 42 53 20 /d "SBS
00d8: 42 61 63 6b 75 70 20 63 Backup c
00e0: 72 65 61 74 65 64 20 6f reated o
00e8: 6e 20 31 30 2f 32 31 2f n 10/21/
00f0: 32 30 30 35 20 61 74 20 2005 at
00f8: 38 3a 32 39 20 50 4d 22 8:29 PM"
0100: 20 2f 76 3a 79 65 73 20 /v:yes
0108: 2f 72 3a 6e 6f 20 2f 72 /r:no /r
0110: 73 3a 6e 6f 20 2f 68 63 s:no /hc
0118: 3a 6f 66 66 20 2f 6d 20 :off /m
0120: 6e 6f 72 6d 61 6c 20 2f normal /
0128: 6a 20 22 53 6d 61 6c 6c j "Small
0130: 20 42 75 73 69 6e 65 73 Busines
0138: 73 20 53 65 72 76 65 72 s Server
0140: 20 42 61 63 6b 75 70 20 Backup
0148: 4a 6f 62 22 20 2f 6c 3a Job" /l:
0150: 73 20 2f 66 20 22 5c 5c s /f "\\
0158: 42 61 63 6b 75 70 2d 70 Backup-p
0160: 63 5c 42 61 63 6b 75 70 c\Backup
0168: 73 5c 42 61 63 6b 75 70 s\Backup
0170: 20 46 69 6c 65 73 5c 53 Files\S
0178: 6d 61 6c 6c 20 42 75 73 mall Bus
0180: 69 6e 65 73 73 20 53 65 iness Se
0188: 72 76 65 72 20 42 61 63 rver Bac
0190: 6b 75 70 20 28 30 31 29 kup (01)
0198: 2e 62 6b 66 22 20 2f 55 .bkf" /U
01a0: 4d 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 M
01a8: 2d 20 55 73 65 72 3a 20 - User:
01b0: 4a 41 4d 49 43 4f 4e 53 JAMICONS
01b8: 5c 53 42 53 20 42 61 63 \SBS Bac
01c0: 6b 75 70 20 55 73 65 72 kup User
01c8: 2d 20 53 69 64 3a 20 20 - Sid:
01d0: 53 2d 31 2d 35 2d 32 31 S-1-5-21
01d8: 2d 33 39 35 39 33 33 30 -3959330
01e0: 33 31 35 2d 33 30 32 32 315-3022
01e8: 39 31 31 34 37 2d 32 37 91147-27
01f0: 38 39 38 37 38 34 36 35 89878465
01f8: 2d 31 31 32 38 20 20 20 -1128

Please help,

Steve

Stevef

Oct 21, 2005, 9:54:02 PM10/21/05
Yes I have seen
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;907574&sd=ee it
didn't help. My registry was as the article stated.

Steve

Brandy Nee [MSFT]

Oct 24, 2005, 3:26:07 AM10/24/05
Hello Steven,

Thank you for posting to the SBS Newsgroup!

I am sorry for the delayed response due to weekend. Please understand that
the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support professionals to
answer your systems and applications questions. Your understanding is
greatly appreciated!

I understand that you keep receiving Event ID 12302 when you performing
Backup. If I have misunderstood your concern, please let me know.

I understand that you have tried KB 907574 and it did not work, please note
that this KB does not apply to Windows Server 2003.

Based on my research, this issue can be caused by varies of factors. You
mentioned that you have not had a successful Backup for two weeks already,
a suggestion is contact Microsoft Product Support Services via telephone to
save your time and be more efficiently solve your problem. There will be a
dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be
advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a
look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for
regional support phone numbers.

Here, in Public Newsgroup, we are still glad to be of assistance on your
issue. Please help to gather following information for research. My reply
is a bit long, so please take your time to perform the steps and gather the
information for further research:

1. When did this problem occur? Did it coincide with some special events,
such as the installation of some software or hardware?

2. Did you install any third party backup software, such as Veritas Backup
Exec?

3. Did you ever install Visio?

In addition, let us perform the following suggestions:

Suggestion 1: Check the Volume Shadow Copy service

Let us perform the following steps to check the Volume Shadow Copy service
and make sure that it can properly startup:

1. Click Start, Run; type SERVICES.MSC in the Open text box and then click
OK.

2. In the Services window, find the "Volume Shadow Copy" service and then
double-click to open it.

3. From the "Startup type" dropdown list, select Automatic if it is not the
current selection, then click OK.

4. Find the "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" item and then make sure it also
is set to startup automatically.

5. Restart your computer.

Suggestion 2: Re-register some dll files
--------------------------------------
Based on my research, this problem may occur when some .dll files are not
registered properly. For example, if you have ever installed SQL Server or
MSDE you should register the SQLVDI.DLL file, and the Sqlvdi.dll file can
become unregistered when you uninstall SQL Server Desktop Engine (also
known as MSDE 2000) from a computer that is also running Microsoft SQL
Server 2000. If you have not installed SQL Server, this file does not exist.

Let us perform the following steps to register them:

1. Click Start -> Run.

2. Type the following commands one by one in the text box to register them:

regsrv32 ole32.dll
regsrv32 sqlvdi.dll

3. Restart the server to test this issue again.

Suggestion 3: Install hot fix
-----------------------------
Have you installed hotfix 833167? If not, I suggest that you install the
hot fix and then restart the server to test this issue again.

833167 A Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) update package is available for
Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=833167

Suggestion 4: Check Visio key
-----------------------------
Have you ever installed Visio? If so, please backup and delete the
[HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlset\Control\ContentIndex\Catalogs\visio]
registry key to test this issue again. It is reported that the key may not
be deleted when you uninstall Visio. This may cause this issue.

If this issue still persists, please manually run NTbackup and backup some
files to Local drive, then send all the Backup logs to my mailbox
(v-br...@microsoft.com) so we can perform further research on this issue

a. Click Start, click Run, type ntbackup, and then press Enter. The Backup
or Restore Wizard launches.

b. On the Welcome to the Backup or Restore Wizard page, click Advanced Mode.

c. Click the Backup tab. From the Job menu, choose Load Selections.

d. In the File Name box type %sbsprogramdir%\backup.

e. Click Small Business Backup Script.bks to select, and click Open.

f. Please choose Local Drive as backup destination.

g. On the Backup tab, click Start Backup.

h. Can the problem be reproduced?

i. Send following Log files to my mailbox:

All the Backupxx.log files in the folder 'C:\Documents and Settings\SBS
Backup User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
NT\NTBackup\data'.

All the Sbsbackuplog0x.log files which can be located under the folder
'%sbsprogramdir%\Support\Backup Logs'.

Please take your time to perform the steps above and collect the
information for us to troubleshoot your issue. If anything is unclear,
please feel free to let me know. I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Brandy Nee

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmVm?= <Ste...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: Backup Errors
>Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:45:04 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Stevef

Oct 24, 2005, 6:48:04 PM10/24/05
Hello Brandy,

Thank you for your help.

No changes have been made other than that which comes through Windows
updates. This SBS server is one of the cleanest I have ever seen. Backups
have run religiously for months. I don’t even remember the last time I saw an
error logged in the event viewer. It is a dual AMD MP processor with 1GB
memory. A single SCSI dedicated for %systemtroot% only, mirrored of course.
Also has an Adaptec RAID5 controller with 7 SCSI drives. Demand is low and
Shadow Copy Snap Shots are to this day reliable up to 2 weeks. I can only
assume it may have to do with SP1. No other software or hardware changes have
been made. The SBS backup points to a dedicated Windows XP box with a
dedicated 160GB slave over the LAN.

Per your instructions:

I have changed the Volume Shadow Copy service from manual to automatic, it
is now running. Would prefer to leave it on manual but will wait for your
opinion on that.

The RPC was already set to automatic and it is running.

When I try to register the dll’s I get an error warning stating that it can
not find regsrv32. I do a search for regsrv32 and can not find it either.

While I didn’t think that any of the symptoms regarding hotfix 833167
applied to my problem, I did contact Microsoft and obtain the hotfix. When I
tried to apply it I could not, the message stated that, “setup has detected
that the service pack of this system is newer than the update you are
applying. There is no need to install this update.”

Note: I can manually run a full Exchange backup, just nothing that uses
Shadow Copy. Yet Shadow Works everywhere else...???

Source VSS
Event ID 12302

Please reply,

Steve

Brandy Nee [MSFT]

Oct 25, 2005, 3:19:36 AM10/25/05
Hello Steve,

Thank you for posting back!

Inside the Backup log you have applied, I notice that you backup to a
computer in the SBS domain. Also, I found following error messages, please
see:

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:0xffffffff.
Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:ffffffff

Based on my experience, this issue can be caused if Volume shadow copy
(VSS) thinks the system is still in setup process. Please perform the steps
below to check the status.

Step 1:
==============
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall Windows. Microsoft cannot guarantee that
problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved.
Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Open the registry and located to the following key and check if the
following keys present:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\setup

SetupType REG_DWORD 0x0
SystemSetupInProgress REG_DWORD 0x0
CmdLine REG_SZ
SystemPrefix REG_BINARY D70B000000C03D7A
SystemPartition REG_SZ \Device\HarddiskVolume1
OsLoaderPath REG_SZ uniqueid REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\KIN
UpgradeInProgress REG_DWORD 0x1

If you find UpgradeInProgress value is 0x1, please change the value to 1,
this should resolve the issue.

[NOTE]: The registry does not require restart, however, if the issue
persists, please restart the machine to check the status.

Step 2:
=========
Use the following steps to re-register the .dll files in Command-line.

Cd /d %windir%\system32

Vssvc /Register
Regsvr32 ole32.dll
Regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
Regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
Regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 msxml4.dll

Test the issue again.

Step 3:
========

If the issue persists, as I required in my last reply, please manually run

[...]

Please take your time to perform the steps. If anything is unclear, please

Best regards,

Brandy Nee

--------------------
>thread-index: AcXY7P7F8GBj6YABRFuE8CcvLiSC8g==

>From: =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmVm?= <Ste...@discussions.microsoft.com>

>Subject: RE: Backup Errors
>Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:48:04 -0700

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Brandy Nee [MSFT]

Oct 25, 2005, 9:54:55 PM10/25/05
Hello Steven,

Thank you for posting back!

I am glad to hear that the information helps and thing is working correctly
on your side now.

It is my pleasure to work with you on this post. If you need any assistance
in the future, please feel free to post back to this Great Newsgroup. We
are glad to be working with you again!

Thank you for using Microsoft newsgroup. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Brandy Nee

<85322EED-F6FC-45AD...@microsoft.com>