SBS2003 with Server SP2 Vista client

me

Mar 21, 2007, 8:17:00 AM3/21/07
I need someone’s assistance. Monday afternoon I installed SP2 for Server 03
on my SBS2003 R2 server. Everything went fine, I have no bad events in my
logs, nor did I experience any of the other SP2 related issues found here.
The only bad thing that I’m experiencing is with a Vista laptop running Vista
Ultimate. It was inadvertently left on when the server rebooted. After the
server was finished doing its thing the laptop was then rebooted. The laptop
logs onto the domain and outlook opens but is slow to react such as switching
from contacts to inbox. Then I noticed that if I attempted to open , let’s
say a word document, it take about 5 – 10 minutes to open the doc and forget
about browsing the server to find anything. However, the system runs
applications fine if the data is on the local computer. It browses the
internet fine as well. None of the other computers on the domain have this
issue they are all XP. I checked DNS to see if it somehow got messed up and
it was fine. I removed the laptop from the domain and added it back using the
“add a computer wizard” and connect computer form the laptop. Yes, I have the
patch for SBS and yes that worked fine. However, I still had the same issue.
I then removed the drive and placed a brand new one in the laptop. Reloaded
Vista Ultimate and Office2007 attempted the same tasks and had the same
results. Does anyone have any other bright ideas?

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Mar 21, 2007, 12:55:39 PM3/21/07
I'm wondering if it isn't some of the new networking features of Vista
(particularly auto-tuning) that are having issues:

Remote Desktop Vista Ultimate to Server 2003 Web SLOW OH GOD SO SLOOOW
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing/browse_thread/thread/58fba2acb6690b26/3af559cff7ad9fdb?lnk=st&q=netsh+interface+tcp+set+global+autotuninglevel%3Ddisabled+&rnum=1&hl=en#3af559cff7ad9fdb

Slow communication after Windows 2003 SP2 installation
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.general/browse_thread/thread/fd6450f68aa66be8/85e2561543d0b3e3?lnk=st&q=windows+2003+sp2+slow&rnum=1&hl=en#85e2561543d0b3e3

Maybe turning off auto-tuning on the Vista client may help:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
and reboot

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

"me" <m...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I need someone's assistance. Monday afternoon I installed SP2 for Server 03
> on my SBS2003 R2 server. Everything went fine, I have no bad events in my
> logs, nor did I experience any of the other SP2 related issues found here.
> The only bad thing that I'm experiencing is with a Vista laptop running
> Vista
> Ultimate. It was inadvertently left on when the server rebooted. After the
> server was finished doing its thing the laptop was then rebooted. The
> laptop
> logs onto the domain and outlook opens but is slow to react such as
> switching
> from contacts to inbox. Then I noticed that if I attempted to open , let's

> say a word document, it take about 5 - 10 minutes to open the doc and

me

Mar 21, 2007, 1:36:21 PM3/21/07
Now the laptop seems faster than ever! I don’t care about increased speed in
the future I only care that it works now. Why would this slip by testing, I
guess we are the guinea pigs for service packs.

POP

Mar 21, 2007, 2:18:19 PM3/21/07
Hi me, are you now saying after applying the suggestions from Merv this
fixed your issues ?

"me" <m...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

me

Mar 21, 2007, 2:40:33 PM3/21/07
Yes I am! I Turned off auto-tuning as Merv suggested and it fixed my issue.
All is well in PA!

GeraldF

Mar 22, 2007, 3:00:58 AM3/22/07
In article <uCUmCn9a...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>,
mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com says...

> Maybe turning off auto-tuning on the Vista client may help:
>
> netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
> netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
> and reboot

Was debating upgrading several workstations to Vista.
What is this autotuning, and how could this slip by all the
beta testers?

me

Mar 22, 2007, 9:35:39 AM3/22/07
Receive Window Auto-Tuning in Windows Vista

To optimize TCP throughput, especially for transmission paths with a high
BDP, the Next Generation TCP/IP stack in Windows Vista (and the next version
of Windows Server, code-named "Longhorn") supports Receive Window
Auto-Tuning. This feature determines the optimal receive window size by
measuring the BDP and the application retrieve rate and adapting the window
size for ongoing transmission path and application conditions.

Receive Window Auto-Tuning enables TCP window scaling by default, allowing
up to a 16MB maximum receive window size. As the data flows over the
connection, the Next Generation TCP/IP stack monitors the connection,
measures its current BDP and application retrieve rate, and adjusts the
receive window size to optimize throughput. The Next Generation TCP/IP stack
no longer uses the TCPWindowSize registry value.

Receive Window Auto-Tuning has a number of benefits. It automatically
determines the optimal receive window size on a per-connection basis. In
Windows XP, the TCPWindowSize registry value applies to all connections.
Applications no longer need to specify TCP window sizes through Windows
Sockets options. And IT administrators no longer need to manually configure a
TCP receive window size for specific computers.

With Receive Window Auto-Tuning, a Windows Vista-based TCP peer will
typically advertise much larger receive window sizes than a Windows XP-based
TCP peer. This allows the other TCP peer to fill the pipe to the Windows
Vista-based TCP peer by sending more TCP data segments without having to wait
for an ACK (subject to TCP congestion control). For typical client-based
networking traffic such as Web pages or e-mail, the Web server or e-mail
server will be able to send more TCP data more quickly to the client
computer, resulting in an overall increase in network performance. The higher
the BDP and application retrieve rate for the connection, the better the
performance increase.

The impact on the network is that a stream of TCP data packets that would
normally be sent out at a lower, measured pace, are sent much faster
resulting in a larger spike of network utilization during the data transfer.
For Windows XP and Windows Vista-based computers performing the same data
transfer over a long, fat pipe, the same amount of data is transferred.
However, the data transfer for the Windows Vista-based client computer is
faster due to the larger receive window size and the server's ability to fill
the pipe from the server to the client.

Because Receive Window Auto-Tuning will increase network utilization of
high-BDP transmission paths, the use of Quality of Service (QoS) or
application send rate throttling might become important for transmission
paths that are operating at or near capacity. To address this possible need,
Windows Vista supports Group Policy-based QoS settings that allow you to
define throttling rates for sent traffic on an IP address or TCP port basis.
For more information, see the resources on policy-based QoS.

GeraldF

Mar 22, 2007, 11:00:29 PM3/22/07
In article <A3933DAC-21F3-4AB3-A04C-040FE7F1B169
@microsoft.com>, m...@discussions.microsoft.com says...

> Receive Window Auto-Tuning in Windows Vista
>
> To optimize TCP throughput, especially for transmission paths with a high

Great discussion of the concept, but why would the Vista
Machine become sluggish, by your description, it should
dominate the other machines and slow them down!

barrywinters

Apr 3, 2007, 1:07:40 PM4/3/07
The recommendation to turn off autotuning has solved a problem that has been bugging me for weeks. I had experienced very slow startup (about 5-6 minutes) on Vista machines connecting to an SBS server as well as significant performance hits within Vista. This occurred on both Business and Ultimate. After applying the fix of turning off autotuning, startup occurrs in about 50 seconds.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

ad...@bazar.de

May 18, 2007, 4:18:20 AM5/18/07