Installed .NET Framework 2.0? Getting .NET Runtime errors in your event log? Here is your workaround!

Karl Middleton

Jan 5, 2006, 2:18:47 AM1/5/06
Good afternoon NG,

Started getting these events on a customer Terminal Server and on
workstations following WSUS installing .NET Framework 2.0. The customer also
began to report go slows on the Terminal Server and we are getting the
ocassional Outlook hang with corresponding Application Hang errors in the
event log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: .NET Runtime
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 5/01/2006
Time: 5:39:30 PM
User: N/A
Computer: KGM-DESKTOP
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Unable
to open shim database version registry key - v2.0.50727.00000.

A trawl of Google found this post on MSDN:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=131584&SiteID=1

Looks like a known error with .NET Framework 2.0 and I couldn't find any
patch on www.microsoft.com. It will only affect you if your users are not
local admins on the workstation or Terminal Server.

I performed little bit of registry detective work and I can now offer a
workaround solution for SBSers who are having this problem until MS come out
with a proper fix. If anyone knows if they have, let me know. I couldn't
find one.

1. Open Server Manager on your SBS server
2. Open for editing your Default Domain Policy under the Group Policy
Management branch of the Server Manager | Advanced.
3. Go to Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings |
Registry
4. Right click and select Add Key.
5. Navigate to
MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\policy\AppPatch\v2.0.50727.00000
6. A security box will appear. Click Add and select Authenticated Users.
Tick the boxes to give Full Control access. Click OK and OK again
7. Close the GPO editor. Close the Server Manager
8. Click Start | Run and enter GPUPDATE and click OK. This pushes the new
policy out
9. Reboot the server and the workstations.
10. You should now be able to run Outlook without getting the error.

Obviously this is only a workaround until MS fixes the cause. When that
eventually happens, just go back into the registry editor and delete the key
detailed in step 5 above.

Good Luck!

Karl from Oz

Nathan Liu [MSFT]

Jan 5, 2006, 11:05:15 PM1/5/06
Hello Karl,

Thank you for posting in the SBS newsgroup.

I am sorry for the delay in responding due to high post volumes, thanks for
the understanding.

I appreciate your shared workaround for the Event Error "Event Source: .NET
Runtime, Event ID: 0", your workaround will benefit many other users, and
we really value having you as a Microsoft customer.

Additionally, I want to inform you that I'm currently performing deep
research on this issue and I will update you as soon as possible.

Thank you for waiting.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Nathan Liu (MSFT)
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
>From: "Karl Middleton" <nos...@nospam.com>
>Subject: Installed .NET Framework 2.0? Getting .NET Runtime errors in your
event log? Here is your workaround!
>Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 18:18:47 +1100
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Nathan Liu [MSFT]

Jan 9, 2006, 7:59:49 PM1/9/06
Hi Karl,

Thanks for the waiting.

I have confirmed this issue with our PROGRAM MANAGER, he confirmed: we are
working on a quick fix engineering (QFE) update for this issue, please
kindly wait for it release.

Please also kindly note that this event log occurs when a non-admin process
loads managed code into a process via com interop and is generally harmless
(other than polluting the event log). Thanks for the understanding.

Thanks again for your shared workaround for the Event Error "Event Source:

.NET Runtime, Event ID: 0", your workaround will benefit many other users,
and we really value having you as a Microsoft customer.

I appreciate your time and cooperation. Please do not hesitate to let me
know if you have any further concerns, I am looking forward to hearing from
you.