Re: Reinstall Exchange on SBS 2003 SP1

Anna Clark

Dec 5, 2006, 10:18:01 PM12/5/06
Hi pnadon:

What has occured that is pushing you to this painful position? Perhaps
there is an easier way. Please let us know, maybe the experts here can
point you to an easier solution.

--
Regards:

Anna Clark
-----
Please do post the conclusion or solution
to your issue so that others may benefit.

"pnadon" <pna...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need to reinstall Exchange (SP1) on this server. I have Trend Micro
Client
> / Server / Messaging for SMB and Blackberry Enterprise Express installed.
>
> I intend to follow method two in the instructions given here:
>
> http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=594992
>
> I will, of course, have solid backups before I start this process.
>
> Will a resintall keep the configuration and the data?
>
> Has anyone reinstalled Exchange with either or both of these applications
> installed? I would like to minimize any surprises.
>

> Thanks,
> pnadon

pnadon

Dec 5, 2006, 11:43:01 PM12/5/06
Thank you for your reply.

A co-worker made some configuration changes to IIS without using the
wizards. Those changes broke OWA, Companyweb, and reporting.

We have tried a couple of the fixes for some of the components (for example:
"How to reset the default virtual directories..."
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883380 )

The next step appears to be to reinstall IIS and/or Exchange.

pnadon

Terence Liu [MSFT]

Dec 6, 2006, 5:47:55 AM12/6/06
Hello Pnadon,

Thank you for posting here.

From your post, I understand that you want to reinstall exchange on your
SBS 2003 server. If I am off base, please feel free to let me know.

The steps in the page you find is correct and you can go through it:
http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=594992

The steps in above link are in-place reinstall, the configuration and the
data in exchange will be keeping. However, I suggest you to backup you
exchange first.

How to Back Up and Restore an Exchange Computer by Using the Windows Backup
Program
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=258243

We do not test reinstall exchange on the SBS with Blackberry Enterprise
Express installed. However, I suggest you to disable or uninstall whole the
3rd-party softwares to make sure the reinstall success.

Additional information:

How to remove and reinstall IIS and Exchange
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320202/

How to reinstall Internet Information Services 6.0 in Windows Small
Business Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/ 887305/

Hope above info help.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Best regards,

Terence Liu(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?cG5hZG9u?= <pna...@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: Reinstall Exchange on SBS 2003 SP1
| Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 16:11:01 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

pnadon

Dec 27, 2006, 9:31:35 AM12/27/06
The recommended link to "techarena.in" is not available...

FYI

pnadon

On Dec 6, 5:47 am, v-ter...@online.microsoft.com (Terence Liu [MSFT])
wrote:
> HelloPnadon,

> Thank you for posting here.
>
> From your post, I understand that you want to reinstall exchange on your
> SBS 2003 server. If I am off base, please feel free to let me know.
>
> The steps in the page you find is correct and you can go through it:http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=594992
>
> The steps in above link are in-place reinstall, the configuration and the
> data in exchange will be keeping. However, I suggest you to backup you
> exchange first.
>
> How to Back Up and Restore an Exchange Computer by Using the Windows Backup

> Programhttp://support.microsoft.com/?id=258243

> We do not test reinstall exchange on the SBS with Blackberry Enterprise
> Express installed. However, I suggest you to disable or uninstall whole the
> 3rd-party softwares to make sure the reinstall success.
>
> Additional information:
>

> How to remove and reinstall IIS and Exchangehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/320202/

> How to reinstall Internet Information Services 6.0 in Windows Small
> Business Server 2003http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887305/
>
> Hope above info help.
>
> Thanks and have a nice day.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Terence Liu(MSFT)
>
> Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support
>
> Get Secure! -www.microsoft.com/security

> This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. If you have issues
> regarding other Microsoft products, you'd better post in the corresponding
> newsgroups so that they can be resolved in an efficient and timely manner.
> You can locate the newsgroup here:http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx
>
> When opening a new thread via the web interface, we recommend you check the
> "Notify me of replies" box to receive e-mail notifications when there are
> any updates in your thread. When responding to posts via your newsreader,
> please "Reply to Group" so that others may learn and benefit from your
> issue.
>
> Microsoft engineers can only focus on one issue per thread. Although we
> provide other information for your reference, we recommend you post
> different incidents in different threads to keep the thread clean. In doing
> so, it will ensure your issues are resolved in a timely manner.
>
> For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly. Please

> checkhttp://support.microsoft.comfor regional support phone numbers.

> Any input or comments in this thread are highly appreciated.

> --------------------

>snip<

Terence Liu [MSFT]

Dec 28, 2006, 5:21:19 AM12/28/06
Hello Pnadon,

Thank you for kind update.

The link http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=594992 is provided
from you in your originally post.

I also try to open it, it is not available now. May be some change happened
on the page.

The following is the general steps in the link:

Reinstall Exchange 2003:

A. Click Start, point to Control Panel and click Add or Remove Programs.
B. Select Windows Small Business Server 2003 and then click Change/Remove.
Click Next in the Setup Wizard.
C. On the Windows Configuration page, click Next.
D. On the Component Selection page, in the Action column, select "Install"
(or Reinstall) for Exchange 2003 and then click Next.
E. Go on through the wizard to finish.

Please note that you might have to enable NNTP services before reinstall
NNTP services, you can enable it through services.msc.

===========

To reinstall Exchange (with SBS 2003 SP1 already applied):

1. Switch to the SBS 2003 CD2, and then run "setup /reinstall".
2. Choose to 'Reinstall' against all the valid listed components in the
pop-up page, and then start the reinstallation.
3. Choose 'Yes' when prompting to overwrite the newer version files.
4. Once the installation is completed, install Exchange 2003 SP1.
5. And then, reinstall SBS 2003 SP1.
6. Rerun CEICW which will recreate the OMA and Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
directories.

Hope these steps will give you some help.