sbs2k3 - Move default user share to another server?

kagates

Apr 15, 2005, 11:32:52 AM4/15/05
Hello,

I have two servers in my AD (win2k & sbs2k3). What I would like is for
the default user share to be on the win2k server when I add a user via
server manager on the sbs2k3 server.

Is this a possibility, or will I have to eternally move the user folder
manually?

Thanks,
--Kevin Gates

Jerry zhao (MSFT)

Apr 18, 2005, 4:40:55 AM4/18/05
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your post.

From your description, I understand that you would like to configure the
location of ''Users Shared Folders'' to the win 2000 machine instead of the
SBS Server 2003. If I'm off base, please let me know.

In SBS 2003 environment, the "Add new users wizard" creates new folders
under this directory for each user account. Based on my knowledge, we
cannot move particular user folders to another disk partition; however, we
can move whole ''Users Shared Folders'' to another disk partition. To do
this, we will need to use xcopy command to move the folder and NTFS
permissions and then create new sharing on the new folder. Regarding the
detailed steps, I would like to suggest you refer to the following document:

>>>Moving SBS 2003 Data Folders <<<
These folders include: Users Shared Folders, the Windows SharePoint?
Services and Monitoring databases, Exchange databases and log files, Sent
Faxes folder, and ClientApps shared folder.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/6/11671e4d-fb21-489c-870f-db36fd2
1a7d2/SBS_MoveDataFolders.DOC

This document provides step-by-step instructions for moving each of the
data folders for Windows Small Business Server 2003. You can choose to move
one or all of the data folders. For example, you can choose to move only
the Users Shared Folders and no other data folders. Additionally, it is not
necessary to move the data folders in the order presented in this document.
For example, you can choose to move the Exchange databases and log files on
one day and then the Users Shared Folders on another. However, it is
strongly recommended that you always complete and verify a full backup
before moving any data folders.

If there is anything else that I can do for you, please feel free to
contact me, and I will be happy to help!

Best regards,

Jerry Zhao (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

kagates

Apr 18, 2005, 9:45:50 AM4/18/05
Jerry,

Thanks for your reply. However, I had already found that document as I
was combing through the past messages. Although it did help for the
users that I already had setup, now I'm looking for a solution for
future users. I suppose what I'd really like to be able to do is change
the location that the wizard creates those folders in the first place.
Even if it means diving into the registry, I'm comfortable with that.

Thanks again,
--Kevin Gates

Jerry zhao (MSFT)

Apr 19, 2005, 7:12:56 AM4/19/05

Thanks for you kind reply.

Actually, we can not change the default path for the users' home folder.
The Add User wizard looks for the "Users" share and creates folders for
users in the share. This is a by designed feature in SBS 2003 server.

Moreover, the method pointed out in the previous post can only move the
folder to other place on the same machine. That means you can not set the
home folder on the win 2000 server.

SBS was designed for small businesses to be able to purchase less hardware
and have less knowledge yet still have a servicable server environment
including many of the features previously reserved for larger corporations
due to costs involved. To that end, the wizards and configuration of the
system in general, is intended to be very straightforward to setup and
maintain so the wizards are left to handle many aspects previously having
to be managed. Since it is impossible to account for every scenario, the
wizards are set to function on a best practices setup for small businesses.

However, this is a great idea for a future product enhancement. You are
welcome to add your suggestions to make Microsoft products easier and more
powerful to use, by visiting:
http://register.microsoft.com/regwiz/regwiz.asp

Please kindly post back if there's anything still unclear or you have
concerns with, thanks!