Monitoring and Reporting Post WSUS 3.0

Bill Vogel

May 11, 2007, 7:46:00 AM5/11/07
Hello,

This morning when I received my server performance report email there was an
error message displayed. (see below)

The page cannot be displayed
An error occurred on the page you are trying to view.

To work around this problem, perform the following steps. After each step,
try again to access the page.

Ensure that the MSSQL$SBSMONITORING service is started.
Ensure that the server is not low on memory or disk space.
Restart the server.
Verify that the server is functional and that there are no system-wide
problems.
Run the Set Up Monitoring Reports and Alerts task in the Server Management
Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.

The monitoring service is running.
I am not low on disk space.
The server was just restated yesterday after loading WSUS 3.0
I've re-run the reports and alerts taks.

There is an Event ID 1 displayed in the event viewer. See message below.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ServerStatusReports
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 5/11/2007
Time: 6:00:55 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ADELPHIA-SBS
Server Status Report:
Error Message: The specified item could not be found in the database.
Stack Trace: at
Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccess.ExecuteSPGetComputerById(String id)
at
Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.ComputerTarget.GetById(String id)
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateEvent.GetComputer()
at
Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.DataProvider.GetUpdateInstallationCount(DateTime
start, DateTime end, String GroupName)
at
Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.StatusPage.Utility.GetInstalledItemCountByGroup(DataProvider dataProvider, WSUS_GROUPS groupID)
at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.StatusPage.Utility.GetUpdateSettings()
at usage.frmPerf.renderReportWorker()
at usage.frmPerf.renderReport()

What does this mean?? How do i fix the reporting? Any help appreciated.

--
Thanks,
Bill V

Binu Kumar

May 12, 2007, 12:32:30 AM5/12/07
Make sure we dont have web.config under C:\Inetpub\wwwroot, if its there,
rename it and try to browse Monitoring in IIS.

--
Binu Kumar (MSFT)
SBS 2000/2003

"Bill Vogel" <Bill...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robert Li [MSFT]

May 13, 2007, 11:56:16 PM5/13/07
Hi Bill,

Thanks for updating and also for Binu's report.

I'm sorry for the delay due to the weekend.

From your description, I know that there is a error in server performance
report and you also get Event ID 1. If I am off-base, please don't hesitate
to let me know.

Based on my research, Event ID:1 is caused by the specified item could not

be found in the database.

Please try the following steps:

Step 1: Please rerun Set Up Monitoring Reports and Alerts wizard, will the
same issue occur?

1. Open Server Management.
2. Click Monitoring and Reporting.
3. Click Set Up Monitoring Reports and Alerts.
4. Select Modify existing settings and click Next.
5. Select Receive a daily performance report in e-mail, View the usage
report in Server Managent, Receive a usage report in e-mail every other
week and click Next.
6. Input the e-mail address to receive report.
7. Follow the other steps and click Finish.

Step 2: Please reinstall monitoring features to see.

1. Open Server Management.
2. Click Monitoring and Reporting.
3. Click Set Up Monitoring Reports and Alerts.
4. Click Next and select Reinstall monitoring features.
5. Click Yes to confirm.
6. Follow the steps to complete the task.
7. Run configure Monitoring and Reporting wizard to configure the
monitoring component.

After doing these steps, the health monitor will be reconfigured and the
SQL database will be reset. The original performance and usage data will be
removed. The server will start to collect new counter value from the
beginning. It will take more than 24 hours so that the report can be
generated. Then please test to see if the issue resolved.

Hope the information helps.

If you have any questions related to this issue, please don't hesitate to
let me know.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
<From: "Binu Kumar" <v-2b...@hotmail.com>
<Subject: Re: Monitoring and Reporting Post WSUS 3.0
<Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 10:02:30 +0530
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Bill Vogel

May 14, 2007, 8:13:01 AM5/14/07
Robert,

Thanks for getting back to me. I tried the re-configuration of the
monitoring on Friday but that didn't work. Just did the re-installation as
you mentioned in your post. All appears to be working normally now. The
performance page was previously unavailable but now appears. There's no data
as yet but should be there tomorrow.

Robert Li [MSFT]

May 14, 2007, 11:19:54 PM5/14/07
Hi Bill,

Thanks for updating.

I am happy to know the problem is resolved. I'd like to make a summary for
this post.

Problem: There is a error in server performance report and you also get
Event ID 1

Solution: Reinstall SBS monitoring feature.

For future postings, I would like to list the following information as a
guideline when submitting new posts in the future. This information will
help us to understand the issue and situation more quickly. Thank you!

1. Has the server/client/product ever worked?

2. If so, what changed?

3. What service packs and updates were applied?

4. What are the steps to reproduce the problem?

5. Does it happen the same way on any other systems?

6. Please provide the exact error message with any screenshots, if possible.

If you need any assistance in the future, please feel free to post in our
newsgroup

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

<From: =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBWb2dlbA==?= <Bill...@discussions.microsoft.com>