Unable to connect using the network wizard

Brian

Mar 27, 2004, 5:42:20 PM3/27/04
Hello,

I am unable to connect my clients (the first time) through my browser using
the following:
http://ServerName/connectcomputer

I have connected to the server manually, but would like to migrate my local
client settings. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Brian Conlin

Ray Fong [MSFT]

Mar 27, 2004, 10:04:34 PM3/27/04
What errors are you getting?
Make sure the clients are pointing to SBS (Not ISP) for the DNS.

If you still have problems, please post back Program Files\Microsoft
Windows Small Business Server\Clients\SBSNetSetup.log and
C:\Windows\Debug\NetSetup.log. They are both located at the client machines.

Ray Fong
Microsoft SBS Product Support

Ray Fong [MSFT]

Mar 28, 2004, 2:02:12 PM3/28/04
At the server, can you bring up http://servername?
In IIS, do you have a virtual directory called ConnectComputer under the
Default Web Site?

Ray Fong
Microsoft SBS Product Support

>I am getting a 404 error (noted below). DNS on my client machines is set
>auto, but even if I do the http://servername/connectcomputer on the server
>itself I get the same error message. On my client machines, there is no
>SBSNetSetup.log file, I did a search as well, no luck. I have posted my
>netsetup.log.
>
>Thank you for your help.
>
>Brian Conlin
>
>The page cannot be found
>The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed,
>or is temporarily unavailable.
-
>----
>
>Please try the following:
>
> a.. Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of
>your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
> b.. If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site
>administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
> c.. Click the Back button to try another link.
>HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
>Internet Information Services (IIS)

-
>----
>
>Technical Information (for support personnel)
>
> a.. Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search
>for the words HTTP and 404.
> b.. Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and
>search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and
>About Custom Error Messages.

Brian

Mar 28, 2004, 5:38:29 PM3/28/04
I can bring it up http://servername and I do not have a virtual directory
called connectcomputer under the default web site.

Brian Conlin

"Ray Fong [MSFT]" <ray...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ray Fong [MSFT]

Mar 28, 2004, 10:35:39 PM3/28/04
If you look at the C:\Inetpub, do you have a folder called ConnectComputer?

If you have it, then you can simply create a virtual directory called
ConnectComputer under the Default WebSite. Make sure you enable anonymous
access to the virtual directory. The path of this VS is
C:\Inetpub\ConnectComputer.

Brian

Mar 29, 2004, 6:16:23 PM3/29/04
I added the virtual directory and was able to get the start screen, but once
I clicked on the connec to network link (pointed to
http://servernam/connectcomputer/start.htm) it said could not connect. The
start.htm is listed in the virtual directory, but is not accessable from the
client computer.

Following is the message received:

The Small Business Server Networking Wizard was not installed. You may not
be a member of the local Administrators security group on this computer or
your Local Intranet security settings may be set to High. Click Connect to
the network now to try again and click Yes when prompted. If the wizard
fails to install, contact the person responsible for your network.

Connect to the network now

It just comes back to the same page when I click again...

Thanks for your help in this.

Brian

"Ray Fong [MSFT]" <ray...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ray Fong [MSFT]

Mar 29, 2004, 7:03:23 PM3/29/04
Logon as the local administrator. Add http://servername to the IE Intranet
zone and try again.

Ray Fong
Microsoft SBS Product Support

Brian

Mar 29, 2004, 10:33:41 PM3/29/04
Added, but no luck.

Brian

"Ray Fong [MSFT]" <ray...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ray Fong [MSFT]

Mar 31, 2004, 7:51:22 PM3/31/04
Upgrade, clean install?

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/6/1/d614788a-3ab3-4060-90ea-d64093c
090e1/SBS_RelNotes.htm#client_computers

Unable to run the Windows Small Business Server 2003 Network Configuration
Wizard from the default Web site after upgrading from Small Business Server
2000
If you upgraded to Windows Small Business Server 2003 from a computer
running Small Business Server 2000 with the Internet Information Services
(IIS) Lockdown Wizard and URLScan security tool installed, executable
(.exe) files are prohibited by default from being requested through the
default Web site. As a result, if you run the Network Configuration Wizard
from a client computer, you receive the following error:

"Files that are critical to Client Setup cannot be copied to this client
computer."

To resolve this problem, either remove the URLScan security tool from the
IIS default Web site or modify the configuration of the tool to allow .exe
files. An updated version of the URLScan security tool for Windows Small
Business Server 2003 will be available on the Windows Small Business Server
Web site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=17117).