Trend CSM recommendation

Les Connor [SBS Community Member - SBS MVP]

Jan 26, 2006, 8:30:20 PM1/26/06
Folks, I've been using Trends's products on SBS since 4.5 - it's been a
pretty good trip.

CSM v2 was(is) the icing - very very reliable antivirus and anti-spam
capabilities - as close to zero maintenance as you can get or would want.
There were a couple of things that could have been better integrated - but
on the whole a really solid solution for SMB.

I don't take this recommendation lightly - I've worked hard to try and make
V3 work - but I just can't afford to use it any longer.

CSM v3 hasn't proven to be an improvement. The integrated console is nice -
but the product (mostly the console) is unreliable, and the anti-spam
feature is a step backwards in performance and features.

I'd recommend staying with V2, and would still recommend V2 for new
installs - and will be installing V2 on new SBS networks - as IMHO it's
still the best thing going.

I *do* have *some* faith that progress is being/will be made, and there will
be an updated version of CSM for SMB that will be as good (probably better)
than V2. I'll be among the first to acknowledge it when it arrives.

--
Les Connor [SBS Community Member - SBS MVP]
SBS Rocks !

SMC

Jan 26, 2006, 10:21:33 PM1/26/06
I agree with your comments on CSM v3. In addition to other problems that I
have posted in the past, I'm now seeing my web interface becoming unusable
after 2 or 3 days of server operation. I must reboot the server to gain
access to the web interface. No other local web based applications on the
server are having problems, only CSM v3. After my system backups on Friday I
will be reinstalling CSM v2 on the network.

I tried Trend's Anti-Spyware for SMB 3.1 and had event errors such as:
'The Antispyware Engine Agent service terminated unexpectedly. It has done
this 2 time(s).' and a message would pop up on the screen about a runtime
C++ error. Trend never responded to my support inquires on this issue.

My contract with Trend will be up shortly, and I will be returning to
Symantec products.

MikeMc

"Les Connor [SBS Community Member - SBS MVP]" <les.c...@DEL.cfive.ca>

Les Connor [SBS Community Member - SBS MVP]

Jan 27, 2006, 9:42:22 AM1/27/06
Hi Mike,

I agree that if CSM v3 has been your first experience with CSM SMB, you
might be put off. But if you've used or are using CSM SMB v2 - you are most
likely very satisfied.

So for now - stay with, or use, CSM SMB v2 - and remain satisfied ;-).

--
Les Connor [SBS Community Member - SBS MVP]
SBS Rocks !
----------------------
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll
understand." - Confucius

"SMC" <smc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

SMC

Jan 27, 2006, 6:17:20 PM1/27/06
Hi Les,

When SBS 2000 came out, I used Symantec. After a year, I switched to
TrendMicro and was happy with the product on SBS 2000 and SBS 2003. Version
3 has caused me to devote too much of my time to administrating it on my
system and my customers systems. With version 2, once the product was
installed, I had virtually no problems. As a consultant, and a MS Partner,
that's what I want out of a product.

Thanks for your input.