can DFS and public folder replication be implemented between two sbs 2003 domains?

win2003 R2

Nov 1, 2005, 4:24:42 AM11/1/05
scenario:
site A is running a SBS 2003 in subnet 192.168.10.0 with domain name
companyA
site B is running another SBS 2003 in subnet 192.168.11.0 with domain
name companyB
the two subnets are connected via a VPN tunnel forming a WAN.
Questions:
1. can we implement DFS between the two domains?
2. can we share or replicate public folders between the two exchange
servers?
If possible, how?

Thanks in advance!

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Nov 1, 2005, 10:54:40 PM11/1/05

Thanks for posting here!

Q1. Can we implement DFS between the two domains?

A: you can not implement DFS between the two SBS domains. We can implement
a distributed file system in either of two ways, either as a stand-alone
root distributed file system, or as a domain distributed file system.

Distributed File System (DFS) allows administrators to group shared folders
located on different servers and present them to users as a virtual tree of
folders known as a namespace. A namespace provides numerous benefits,
including increased availability of data, load sharing, and simplified data
migration. So it does make sense we implement DFS between two stand-alone
root domains. For more detail information about DFS, you can refer to the
following articles:

Distributed File System (DFS)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/Serve
rHelp/370f16f9-dd08-45dc-8cf2-d9e2bfeada88.mspx

Distributed File System: Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/dfsfaq.mspx

Distributed File System (DFS) How To...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/Serve
rHelp/370f16f9-dd08-45dc-8cf2-d9e2bfeada88.mspx

Q2. Can we share or replicate public folders between the two exchange
servers?

A: No, we can not share or replicate public folders between the two
Exchange servers. For Exchange server based on AD structure, we can not
share Exchange information between two un-trusted forest domains. For more
detail information, please refer to the following documents:

Exchange 2003 Design and Architecture at Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/msit/deploy/ex03atwp.mspx

Exchange Public Folder Best Practices: Understanding Referrals
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/PFBestPrac/3eaf
44ee-5536-43b8-90f8-33a50347fbb2.mspx

Exchange 2000 Server Deployment Resources
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/deploy/default.ms
px

Suggestions:

Regarding to your description, I understand that one of the two sites is a
branch office of the other and need to share AD and Exchange information
between the both sites. For your scenario, the best way is that the both
sites in the same domain and each site has a domain controller. And then
setup site to site VPN to share information each other.

It is not allowed to setup two SBS server in one domain and no Trust will
be available in SBS system. So the branch office need to be setup Windows
2003 OS. You can refer to the following articles to get detail solution:

Connecting a Remote Office to a Small Business Server 2000 Network
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sbs/2000/maintain/remotofc.mspx

This solution also can be applied to SBS 2003 environment.

What is more, the followings are articles about Branch Office, hope it
helps:

Branch office over the Internet
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/Serve
rHelp/0160ff2e-806b-4780-9a14-e2192640cc6f.mspx

Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Branch Office Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9353a4f6-a8a8-40bb-
9fa7-3a95c9540112&DisplayLang=en

Active Directory Branch Office Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/events/ad/tnt02.mspx

Dial-up branch office network
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/p
roddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/stan
dard/proddocs/en-us/sag_rras-ch4_30.asp
============================
The following are articles about VPN in Branch office scenario:
A dial-up router-to-router VPN connection
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/Serve
rHelp/e46ee6bf-f327-4437-a523-bafb35285f04.mspx

Persistent branch office
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/Serve
rHelp/ca443764-c00d-4b5f-9c8f-04516d241438.mspx

Router-to-Router VPN
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/
en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/reskit/en
-us/intwork/inbe_vpn_ydqh.asp

Hope above information helps! If you have any unclear about information in
my post please feel free to let me know. I am looking forward to your reply!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Jenny Wu
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support
You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
>From: "win2003 R2" <tia...@itl-limited.com>
>Subject: can DFS and public folder replication be implemented between two
sbs 2003 domains?
>Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 20:24:42 +1100
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

win2003 R2

Nov 2, 2005, 12:33:59 AM11/2/05
Hi Jenny,
Thanks for the response which is really good and helpful.
I will read these references and post more questions later.
Regards,

""Jenny wu [MSFT]"" <v-ya...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Nov 2, 2005, 6:10:45 AM11/2/05

Thanks for your update! I am happy to know that information is helpful to
you!

If you have any questions on the issue please let me know. I am happy to be
assistance of you.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

>Subject: Re: can DFS and public folder replication be implemented between
two sbs 2003 domains?
>Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 16:33:59 +1100

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Nov 9, 2005, 8:38:58 AM11/9/05
Hi Tian,

Thanks for your update by mail!

Yes, you are correct. Generally Microsoft engineers can only focus on one
issue per thread. In doing so, it will ensure your issues are resolved in a
timely manner. And other partners who the newsgroups regularly can either
share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for
your understanding.

However I would like to give some information to the convert SBS server to
member server issue (I have read your post named "Convert a SBS 2003 in a
branch office to a member DC of ..."). If you have any unclear about
information I provided you can create a new thread in the newsgroup and we
will work with you continually.

*Important: Before you do any change, I suggest that you do a full backup
of server in case any unexpected things, you can restore server. For your
convenience, I list the Microsoft white paper link:

Backing Up and Restoring Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sbs/2003/maintain/bkuprstr.mspx

Suggestion 1:

As they said, the easier way to upgrade SBS 2003 server to full package
product Windows 2003 is that we use Transition Pack to remove the SBS
licensing restrictions. Once the Transition Pack is applied, the server
changes to a normal windows 2003 server and it will have 5 Windows 2003
client CALs and it will still is a DC; Additional Exchange and Windows 2003
CALs must be purchased. However the Transition Pack is expensive.

If you don't want to the server act as DC, you can run Dcpromo.exe to
demote the server.

For more information regarding SBS 2003 Transition Pack, you can take a
look at the following web page:
Transition Pack Licensing:
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/sbs/techinfo/overview/licensingfa
q.mspx#EABAA

You just follow Microsoft SBS 2003 Transition Pack installation guide to do
this and there is other thing should be considered.

Suggestion 2:

If you don't want to buy Transition Pack, you can setup a new Windows 2003
server in the SBS domain and set it as additional DC. And then use FSMO
role transfer method to transfer all the roles from SBS 2k3 server to the
Windows 2003 server box. Migrate all AD information, user profile, database
and service such as DNS and DHCP you need from the server.

For the share folder information, you could just use copy command. For the
Exchange information, you could use Exchange Migration wizard or use
Exmerge utility. For the client workstation, you need to update the
Exchange server location.

You can refer to the following KB article to do it:

328871, "How to: Use the Exchange Migration Wizard to Migrate Mailboxes
From an Exchange Organization" at the Microsoft Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328871

To move SQL server database: you can follow the instructions in the article:

How to: Move Databases Between Computers That Are Running SQL Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=20167

If you want to move other information, I suggest that you view the
Microsoft white paper to get info:
Migrating from Small Business Server 2000 or Windows 2000 Server to Windows
Small Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=FA187D1E-8218-4501-
9729-222BD8EBB64C&displaylang=en

Hope above information helps! I am happy to be assistance of you!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

The partner mail content:
======================
Hi Jenny,
Thanks for your help.
Since the answers to my questions were NO, I think I need to take your
advice and setup the branch office server as a member DC of the head
office.
I did have a post on 3/11/2005 in title "Convert a SBS 2003 in a branch
office to a member DC of ..." I thought this would be better in a new
thread.
However, the discussion was led to a wrong direction.
Could you help with that?
Do you want me to re-post it?

Many thanks,
Tian
======================

--------------------
>From: v-ya...@online.microsoft.com ("Jenny wu [MSFT]")
>Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:10:45 GMT

>Subject: Re: can DFS and public folder replication be implemented between
two sbs 2003 domains?

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

win2003 R2

Nov 9, 2005, 8:17:20 PM11/9/05
Hi Jenny,
Thank you very much for your response.
Both suggestions are very valuable.
In suggestion 2 you mentioned that

> "And then use FSMO
> role transfer method to transfer all the roles from SBS 2k3 server to the
> Windows 2003 server box
I got impression in some previous discussions that the FSMO role on a SBS
server can not be moved if the transition pack does not apply.
Do you have any reference for removing FSMO role from a SBS 2003 box without
applying the transition pack? It would be great if you do have.
Many thanks again,
Tian

""Jenny wu [MSFT]"" <v-ya...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jenny Wu (MSFT)

Nov 10, 2005, 11:28:50 AM11/10/05
Hi Tian,

Thanks for your update! I am glad to know that information is useful to you.
You can refer to the following articles to get detail steps to seize FSMO
roles from the SBS 2003 server.

How to view and transfer FSMO roles in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324801

Using Ntdsutil.exe to transfer or seize FSMO roles to a domain controller
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504

How to remove data in Active Directory after an unsuccessful domain
controller demotion
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216498

Domain controllers do not demote gracefully when you use the Active
Directory Installation Wizard to force demotion in Windows Server 2003 and
in Windows 2000 Server
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;332199

Above artivles provide general solution to this type issue. If you want to
get more detail suggestion to your issue, I need more information to your
current situation and make a particular plan to your scenario. It is not
suitable to handle in this post, I suggest you create a new thread for the
issue and I will continue work with you. And this way can keep the thread
clean and other partners can either share their knowledge or learn from your

interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

I am glad to be further assistance of you and look forward to work with you
again!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

"win2003 R2" <tia...@itl-limited.com> wrote in message