Replacement CD1

JRittley

Jan 18, 2006, 9:46:40 AM1/18/06
OK, this is embarassing. We moved our office into a new building. After our
move, and booting up the server, it is complaining that our network fax has
to be reinstalled due a corrupted file. Our staff unpacked everything and we
cannot find our CD1 (got all the rest). We called Microsoft and since
Gateway installed the SBS2003 on our Gateway server, we had to go to them for
the replacement disk. Gateway is saying we have to rebuy the entire package
as they can only replace the disks within the first 90 days--of course that
was a year ago--a true catch 22. Does anyone know of a realistic way to get
a replacement CD1. We have our SBS license affixed to the server so we have
that info. Any help would be appreciated.
--
John

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Jan 18, 2006, 12:39:23 PM1/18/06
Don't think you can get there from here John. I just got off the phone with
both Gateway and the MS Media Replacement Center.

When you buy OEM (which many of us here never recommend), that OEM takes on
all responsibility for the product and it's support. You are then subject
to the internal policies of that OEM. In this case, Gateway's policy for
replacement media is that, after 30 days (I was told 30 and you were 90),
they can not (will not) replace media for a nominal cost. They require you
to buy a brand new software package.

NOTE: There may be an additional problem if Gateway is currently shipping
SBS 2003 SP1 and not the original SBS 2003 RTM media you bought a year ago,
especially if you haven't yet installed SP1 on the server.

MS Media Replacement can't replace OEM media because of their agreeemnt with
the OEM and because the OEM may have "tweaked" the CDs to work with their
own hardware or installation procedures. And even if you bought a new Open
Volume License CD set from MS for full price, while MS could replace that at
a minimal cost (<$30) if you lost a CD down the road, the Open License media
won't work with your current OEM install. So, you would have to reinstall
your current server with the new Open Volume License software.

Options...

1) Buy the full OEM set from Gateway (and bring the server up to the SP
level of this newly purchased software, if required)
2) Find someone with SBS 2003 Gateway OEM media (either Standard or
Premium) and see if you can copy their CD1. However, copying their CD may
be a violation of the EULA (End User License Agreement).

--
Merv Porter [SBS MVP]

"JRittley" <JRit...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Jan 21, 2006, 2:04:31 PM1/21/06
John? Can you ping me directly?