Is Windows XP Media Center Edition compatable?

Kirk

Aug 19, 2005, 9:48:01 PM8/19/05
Hello,

Is Window XP Media Ceter edition comatible with SBS2003?

I can't seem to get the domain radio button to become available.

Also, connectcomputer doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Kirk

CO-DBA-SC-EL

Aug 19, 2005, 9:58:30 PM8/19/05
No, it's not.

"Kirk" <Ki...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

JML

Aug 19, 2005, 9:59:35 PM8/19/05
Media Center cannot be a member of a domain. Must use XP Pro.

John

Stu

Aug 19, 2005, 10:12:23 PM8/19/05
Not true. Not true at all.

You CAN join a domain on install of MCE - IF - your NIC card has a native
driver in XP. It then allows you to specify the domain to join.

If it no native driver exists on the XP CD, t, you then cannot join a domain
without a hack. (Tested myself - that works.)

However, MCE boxes on a domain cannot accept connections from a Media
Extender. (No big deal if you don't need one)

Stu

"JML" <nos...@spamisbad.com> wrote in message

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Aug 19, 2005, 11:06:40 PM8/19/05
..well..not excatly.. it IS XP pro under the hood but it lets you join
if you install fresh.

You do kill off the extenders.

Andy

Aug 20, 2005, 9:02:16 AM8/20/05
Stu

Where can I find the hack?

Rgds

"Stu" <sheodi@please dont spam me.cogeco.ca> wrote in message

Stu

Aug 20, 2005, 9:13:12 AM8/20/05
Hi gang,

As with everything like this - BE CAREFUL. I have done this and it does
work, although I now have a dedicated server for 3 MCE boxes on their own
workgroup - so I don't use it anymore.

Also, be aware of issues if you use My Documents redirection in SBS. In
that case, I would consider not using redirection, or using TweakUI to
change your MCE box's My Music etc... locations. Otherwise, the poor SBS
box will be syncing your music library, video library and photo library all
the time. Not too efficient if the library is big!

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Stu

Here's the hack:

Insert Windows XP CD.

Start > Run > X:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
(replace X: with the appropiate drive letter)

Acknowledge prompt by clicking 'Yes'.

Skip updating process by clicking 'Cancel' or by pressing 'Esc'

After installation, acknowledge success msg. by clicking 'Ok'

Start > Shutdown > Restart

At boot menu, select 'Microsoft Windows Recovery Console'

Select proper installation to log onto (default: 1) and press 'Enter'
(If prompted, enter Administrator password and press 'Enter')

Type (without quotes) and press enter: 'cd system32\config'

Type (without quotes) and press enter: 'copy SYSTEM C:\'

Type (without quotes) and press enter: exit

At boot menu, select 'Windows XP Media Center Edition'

Start > Run > Type: 'regedit' and press enter

Click on 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE'.

File > Load Hive...

Browse and select C:\SYSTEM

Specify key name 'BANANA' and click OK

Expand: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > BANANA > WPA > MedCtrUpg

On the right-hand side, double-click IsLegacyMCE value

Change selected value to 1 and click Ok. (THAT IS NOT AN L!)

Click on BANANA subkey (under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE).

File > Unload Hive. Confirm.

Start > Shutdown > Restart

At boot menu, select 'Microsoft Windows Recovery Console'

Select proper installation to log onto (default: 1) and press 'Enter'
(If prompted, enter Administrator password and press 'Enter')

Type (without quotes) and press enter: 'cd \'

Type (without quotes) and press enter: 'copy SYSTEM
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM'
(Yes, you want to overwrite - Go ahead and do it)

Type (without quotes) and press enter: 'del SYSTEM'

Type (without quotes) and press enter: 'exit'

At boot menu, select 'Windows XP Media Center Edition'

Join domain.

"Andy" <andy.b...@cwcom.net> wrote in message

Andy

Aug 20, 2005, 12:13:10 PM8/20/05
Top Banana !!

Thanks Stu

Kirk

Aug 20, 2005, 4:49:01 PM8/20/05
Thanks for you input... what will I loose if I upgrade to XP Pro from MCE?

Kirk

Stu

Aug 20, 2005, 5:12:02 PM8/20/05
Kirk,

MCE 2005 - IS - Xp Pro. You need not upgrade anything.

If however, you want to be part of a domain and do not have your NIC card
running during install (no drivers), the you need to follow the instruction
here.

Stu

"Kirk" <Ki...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Kirk

Aug 20, 2005, 5:35:09 PM8/20/05
Hi Stu,

You seem confident that this hack works... what is my fall back plan if it
doesn't?

Also, is this same hack good for XP Home?

Kirk

Stu

Aug 20, 2005, 7:52:56 PM8/20/05
NO XP Home can NOT join a domain. I would not try this. With MCE 2005, I
am confident it works, because I have done it twice.

If you follow the instructions carefully, you will be fine. Of course, it is
always prudent to back everything up - in case you miss a step and mess
things up.

Stu

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Aug 20, 2005, 8:32:31 PM8/20/05
MCE is XP pro under the hood.

XP Home is...XP Home.

Stu wrote:

--
An open letter to the Security Community::
http://msmvps.com/bradley/archive/2004/12/12/23540.aspx

Kirk

Aug 20, 2005, 10:31:02 PM8/20/05
Thanks Stu,