Re: SBS MVP in the BC Area??

Les Connor [SBS MVP]

Aug 18, 2004, 9:27:16 PM8/18/04
MVP wouldn't be the selection criteria, there's lots of excellent SBS folks
who you'd never discover if you limited yourself that way.

I'd check the local offerings. If you can't find an experienced SBS shop
with references that check out to your satisfaction, then there are other
ways.

--
Les Connor [SBS MVP]
-------------------------------------

"Dana Epp" <Dana E...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a SBS MVP in the lower mainland of BC that reads this newsgroup?
> might have some business for you to set up a SBS with OWA, properly locked
> down on a business cable connection.

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Aug 19, 2004, 3:24:43 AM8/19/04
Dana Epp like in the Security blog Dana Epp?

http://silverstr.ufies.org/blog/archives/000672.html

We're not talking the "normal" SBS customer :-)

Dana Epp wrote:

> Is there a SBS MVP in the lower mainland of BC that reads this newsgroup? I
> might have some business for you to set up a SBS with OWA, properly locked
> down on a business cable connection.

--
http://www.sbslinks.com/really.htm

Dana Epp

Aug 19, 2004, 10:19:04 AM8/19/04
Thanks... I think. You're right, I am NOT a normal SBS customer.

*lol*

As a computer security professional, I would normally recommend a Unix
/Linux solution for an Internet facing server. (I have my reasons, no need to
argue that point in this forum).

However, I believe that it makes sense to truly evaluate other platforms
when it makes sense to. As I do not on a regular basis work and admin SBS (I
write kernel mode code in Windows for a living, gimme a break... I can't know
everything), I would rather have some thoughtful reflection with another
professional who does this for a living so I may really understand the
effectiveness and implications of hanging a box like this on the Net, all the
while increasing my experience with a very little known product in the
Microsoft family.

So any takers? At the very least we can sit, drink some good coffee and
discuss life, the universe and everything SBS security!

Les Connor [SBS MVP]

Aug 19, 2004, 11:47:49 AM8/19/04
Dana,

If you want to turn this into a 'project', then there are at least 3
options.

Remote:

You install the product with help, either email or telephone. Once the
install is to the point that it's remotely accessible, an experienced SBS
admin can do the server configuration. Somebody needs to be on site to join
the client machines.

Onsite:

There are only two SBS MVPs in Canada. Calvin McLellan is near Toronto, and
doesn't get your way often. I, on the other hand am near Winnipeg, and pass
through Vancouver on a reasonably frequent basis. (and, there are also MVPs
in the Seattle area that are quite close).

If this is a clean(ish) install, and depending on the number of
workstations, it's possible to do the bulk of it in a day - and the remote
admin capability can be used to tie up any loose ends.

DIY:

Use the newsgroup resources here to assit you, and DIY.

--
Les Connor [SBS MVP]
-------------------------------------

"Dana Epp" <Dan...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Aug 19, 2004, 3:01:26 PM8/19/04
Little known by you dear ;-) I wouldn't say it's little known by us :-)

Come to Seattle September 9-13 and you'll have a boatload of SBSers that
you can talk to about Security and SBS.

First off, I'll tell you straight off, we have not seen many
installations with RSA keyfobs [per your blog and yes I'm a reader].
Next, those of us who are a bit more paranoid do the ISA 2000 thing
[we'll get ISA 2004 in the future but not right now] and we'll more
often than not shut down port 80 as you can have OWA fully operational
without it.

Our major advice will be to help you understand what the wizards are doing.

Steve Banks is in Seattle but you may want to talk to the guy who made
me the paranoid Chicken Little I am today, Jeff Middleton.

--
http://www.sbslinks.com/really.htm