need help with VPN

newbieadmin

Jul 28, 2005, 4:39:03 AM7/28/05
VPN Ipsec connection establihes and seems to work:
W2003 Server - ZyWALL5 - internet - Home PC/Zywall Client/W2000pro

Home Pc:s network connection wizard doesn't find the server and its domain,
explorer can't find anything from server's side - not even with direct
TCPIP:s. Ping find server with its IP, but not with DNS name allthough it
shows the name in the IP ping also..

Kind of stuck here.. Haven't really found what configurations to do on
windows ends when using "3d party" VPN inbetween -can anybody help?

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Jul 28, 2005, 8:47:15 AM7/28/05
Assuming you have an internal DNS on the server, does the VPN client use the same DNS? This page may help,

computer browser over vpn
Computer browsing over VPN involves routers, multiple segments and multihomed servers. It is generally recommended that you implement WINS for name ...
www.howtonetworking.com/VPN/browsingovervpn0.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

newbieadmin

Jul 28, 2005, 3:21:02 PM7/28/05
Thank you Robert,

that newbie thing is showing so some "stupid" questions:

Since Zywall Firewall and Client are dealing with the VPN tunnel is there
still need to establish VPN-server on the server side?

I've read those articles you are pointing and still not sure which services
I should have started or still need to start on the server and on the other
hand on client side so that clients windows could logon to the domain?

Or in which end is the problem that Client side Windows doesn't find the
domain through the VPN tunnel?

Using cmd and ping I can see that the server is there..

To your question Robert - I've added server's side DNS addresses to the
network connection at client side. Ipconfig confirms that same DNS- addrsses
are also used at client side.

Basically I would need to know what services should be on and which should
posibbly be off on both server and client side?

Is there any other additional software that I could use to search what's to
be found through VPN tunnel from domain side?

From the symptoms I figured so far that either domain server doesn't for
some security reason or otherwise allow the connection to the domain or my
windows2000 doesn't have all necesary software/code to "see" what's on the
other side of the tunnel?

I read about L2TP/IPsec NAT-T update for Windows XP and Windows 2000, but
couldn't find it from the windows update site - does anyone have direct url
where to download it? Could that solve any of my problems?

newbieadmin

ps. pinging to the server accross the internet is grate, but gets little bit
boring after while...

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Jul 29, 2005, 11:41:29 AM7/29/05
assuming you can ping the remote ip, can you ping FQDN? if not, use nslookup to check which DNS you are using.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

newbieadmin

Aug 1, 2005, 6:10:01 AM8/1/05
From the client side ipconfig shows all the DNS addresses on the Serverside
also - added them manually to my connection on Client side. For some reason
NSlookup doesn't get the real name for the W2003 server which is working as
DNS-server also? From the intranet ping does find server with both IP and its
real name.. ..something wrong with DNS perhaps? Some work to be done there I
quess. Don't know what you mean with the letters FQDN?

To my questions - do I need to set up VPN server to the W2003server or just
need to configure and start some services -which?

Pscyime via WinServerKB.com

Aug 1, 2005, 11:13:07 AM8/1/05

Hi

FQDN = full qualified domain name

that is the client/server machine name appended to the primary DNS suffix
(read domain name) - usually

in your situation it would be...........servername.domainname.com

like server.mydomain.local or whatever

HTH