Cant see computers in my domain

tomo

Nov 8, 2005, 6:06:58 AM11/8/05

I am running windows 2003 (Service pack1) as a domain controller, and having
problem to see the computers in My Network Places. I can see the domain in
Microsoft Windows Network but when I browse the domain it doesn't show any
computer. There are 10 clients based on win2k and XP and all of them are
working fine in this domain. I can see all the computers in Active Directory
users and computers snap in, can ping all of them with host name or IP, can
access the shares bu using \\machine name and all of them exits in the DNS
as well. There is no error in the event log. Any help would be much
appreciated.

Thank you,

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Nov 8, 2005, 10:58:35 AM11/8/05
I can think three possible reasons. 1. master browser. 2. File and printer sharing. 3. Server service. What do you receive if using net view \\hostname command? This system error collections may help,

System Errors
System error 51 has occurred - The remote computer is not available System error
52 - You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network. ...
www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

tomo

Nov 9, 2005, 5:37:56 AM11/9/05
No when I go directly to the computer \\hostname it works i just can't see the computers in my network places , and not all the time. Sometimes that thing work too.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Nov 9, 2005, 11:18:13 AM11/9/05
as said, it could be the master browser issue. use the browstat to check the master browser status.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

tomo

Nov 11, 2005, 5:03:52 AM11/11/05
This is the log for BROWSTAT

Status for domain NAVIGO-DOM on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{7AB68BEC-A3D1-48A0-9055-EE5B77FF286F}
    Browsing is active on domain.
    Master browser name is: ORCL-SRV
        Master browser is running build 3790
    1 backup servers retrieved from master ORCL-SRV
        \\ORCL-SRV
    There are 11 servers in domain NAVIGO-DOM on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{7AB68BEC-A3D1-48A0-9055-EE5B77FF286F}
    There are 1 domains in domain NAVIGO-DOM on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{7AB68BEC-A3D1-48A0-9055-EE5B77FF286F}

Status for domain NAVIGO-DOM on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{17A4D35F-06D0-4369-913F-37BA0759B7C0}
    Browsing is active on domain.
    Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.  Using \\ORCL-SRV
        Master browser is running build 3790
    1 backup servers retrieved from master ORCL-SRV
        \\ORCL-SRV
    There are 0 servers in domain NAVIGO-DOM on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{17A4D35F-06D0-4369-913F-37BA0759B7C0}
    There are 0 domains in domain NAVIGO-DOM on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{17A4D35F-06D0-4369-913F-37BA0759B7C0}

Bill Grant

Nov 11, 2005, 8:05:48 PM11/11/05
You have a multihomed browse master. Do you have two NICs in the DC? Or
is it running as a remote access server?

tomo

Nov 14, 2005, 4:40:47 AM11/14/05
Yes it is running as a remote access server. Do you think that it's problem
.
"Bill Grant" <not.available@online> wrote in message

Bill Grant

Nov 14, 2005, 6:54:03 PM11/14/05
Yes. As soon as a remote user connects, your server acquires an extra IP
address to act as the server end of the connection. This means that your
server has two IP addresses, which confuses the browser.

You need to disable Netbios over TCP/IP on the RRAS interface. This
requires a registry change. See the instructions near the end of KB 292822.