Mapping a drive on a Windows 2003 Server from a web server

John

Dec 11, 2005, 6:00:02 AM12/11/05
Hi

Am trying to create a mapped drive on a local Windows 2003 Server from our
web server on the Internet, but keep getting the error message: the drive
could not be mapped because no network was found. Yet am able to browse to
the site using internet explorer and I can ping the web server. I can create
the requied mapped drive on a client PC with Windows XP, but not a server
running Windows 2000 or 2003 with and without SP1. Do Windows server products
permit mapped drives over the Internet in default confugurations? Or do you
have to enable a service or a domain controller policy/group policy setting?
I understand the security implications but can be sorted later. Would
appreciate any advice.

John

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Dec 11, 2005, 10:18:33 AM12/11/05
which system error do you receive when using net use \\2003servername\sharedname?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

John

Dec 11, 2005, 1:34:55 PM12/11/05
Hi Robert

The error I get is:

System error 67 has occurred.

The network name cannot be found.

John

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Dec 11, 2005, 6:33:08 PM12/11/05
is could be the name resolution issue. Can you net view IP?

System Errors
System error 67 - The network name cannot be found. Symptom: When using net view \\computer, you may receive above error message. ...
www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

John

Dec 12, 2005, 3:33:03 AM12/12/05
Hi Robert

Sorry Robert not familiar with this command, but I tried:

net view \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\

system error 53 has occurred

network patch was not found

OR

net view \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharedfolder

system error 123 has occurred

the filename, directory name or voulme label syntax is incorrect

I hope this helps

John

Dec 12, 2005, 6:56:03 AM12/12/05
Hi Robert

Some more info regarding the web server we're trying to connect to, it is
Windows 2003 Server web edition with SP1 and the folder we need access to, is
a virtual folder in Internet Information Services which points to a folder on
the c: drive.

Regards

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Dec 12, 2005, 10:27:12 AM12/12/05
System error 53 is connection issue. have you enable file and printer sharing? on the web server do net share. what do you have?

System Errors
System error 53 - The network path was not found. Symptom: when using net view \\ip or \\computername, you get system error 53. ...
www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

John

Dec 12, 2005, 10:48:01 AM12/12/05