Re: Unable To Browse Network Issue

Robert L [MS-MVP]

May 17, 2005, 4:50:45 PM5/17/05
it could be the DNS issue. can you ping each other by name? what do you receive if using net view command? if it is system error 53, it is name resolution issue; if it is error 5, it is permission issue. this page may help, http://howtonetworking.com/Troubleshooting/notaccessibale0.htm

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Here is my layout

Server1 = Win2k3, Secondary Domain Controller, AD
Server2 = Win2k3, Domain Controller, AD, DNS, DHCP

Here is my problem.
No computer on the network NOR any server except for Server2 can browse the
network. If I do a RUN then //server1 I get all the shared drives and
printers however you cannot browse to it.

Error message from all machines EXCEPT Server2 are "{domain} is not
accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently
available."

I need to setup SERVER1 to push out virus updates and some other small tasks
however without it being able to browse the network I am dead in the water
and SERVER2 is being overworked which is slowing down everything.

Can anyone help me out here or point me in the right direction?? I have read
and tried some of the other posts about this and haven't had any luck.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Mark Broom

May 17, 2005, 9:00:01 PM5/17/05
OK when I do a net view I can see anything on the network...

I get no errors.... but I still cannot browse. ???? Now I am really lost....

Robert L [MS-MVP]

May 18, 2005, 1:13:02 AM5/18/05
so, what you said is that you can net view \\server2 from server1 but not run \\server2 from server1? That doesn't make sense. can you map?
For more and other information, go to http://howtonetworking.com.

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Mark Broom

May 18, 2005, 1:20:03 PM5/18/05
Yes I can map drives and use them just like normal..

The main problem is that if I click on Network Places, Entire Network, then
the domain the list is not populated and it gives me the error in the
original post.