User Profile migration / relocation

Wilson Cheung

Aug 7, 2005, 7:52:27 PM8/7/05
Hello!

I have a question about user profile migration. A user previously logon the
Domain A. However, this user need to logon to Domain B for the server
migration. Therefore this user need to migrate his profile too. But there is
no trust between Domain A and Domain B. Therefore an "Unknown Account" will
be displayed in User Profile.

I need to copy the previous profile to the new profile, unfortunately, the
Domain B cannot recongize the previous profile and "Unknown Account" is
found. How can I do the profile migration? And is there anyway I can do it
without Trust? Thanks!!

Wilson

Ada Pan [MSFT]

Aug 8, 2005, 4:30:32 AM8/8/05
Hello Wilson,

I perform some tests (Window 2K domain + Windows 2k3 domain + Windows 2000
client) on this issue. From the result of the tests, we can copy user
profile from Domain A to Domain B without trust.

For example, you want USER1 in DomainA now to be migrated to DomainB.
1. You need first create an account in Domain B.
2. When you use the new created account to logon DomainB on the same
computer, the previous user profile's name will be changed to USER1.DomainA
in C:\documents and settings.
3. Log off the current account and then logon as a local administrator,
copy all the files and folders in C:\documents and settings\USER1.DomianA\
to C:\documents and settings\USER1\.
4. Log off the local administrator and then logon as USER1 to DomainB.

Note: This test is based on local profile. If it's roaming profile, please
first save it to local.

However, we recommend that you should establish the trust between the
domains and use migration tools if you need to migrate multiple profiles.

Method 1: ADMT
================
If you have not migrated the user accounts to win2k3, I suggest you use
ADMT to achieve this goal. ADMT - the Active Directory Migration tool, has
the ability to "translate" account security information. The following link
has addressed the details:

Remigrating User Accounts and Workstations in Batches
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deploy
guide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/de
ployguide/en-us/dssbi_reer_zgwe.asp

Translating Local User Profiles
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deploy
guide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/de
ployguide/en-us/dssbg_rent_vgkz.asp

Method 2: Moveuser.exe
=========================

The Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit has a tool "moveuser.exe" that will
re-associate a profile with another user account. It's specifically for
this scenario where you need to move a profile from local -> domain. One
thing to note is that this can't be done while the user is logged on. It
can however be done remotely so it could be scripted.

More details can be found in the following link:
Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-
96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

Moveuser.exe: Move User
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techre
f/en-us/Default.asp?url=/Resources/Documentation/windowsserv/2003/all/techre
f/en-us/moveuser.asp

Method 3: USMT
================
Use USMT - the user state migration tool. Note that this is for Windows
XP, so it won't help with NT 4.0 or Windows 2000. But it does point at the
direction of the future.
<<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/techinfo/deployment/userstate/defau
lt.asp>>

For more information on USMT,
<http://search.microsoft.com/default.asp?qu=usmt> and click "go" to search.

User State Migration in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/usermigr.mspx#E
DAA

Windows User State Migration Tool (USMT) version 2.6
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4AF2D2C9-F16C-4C52
-A203-8DAF944DD555&displaylang=en>

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ada Pan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Wilson Cheung

Aug 8, 2005, 11:04:16 AM8/8/05
Hello Ada,

Thank you for your reply and suggestion.
I tried to copy C:\documents and settings\USER1.DomianA\ to C:\documents
and settings\USER1\. Then login user1 again, I found there will be some
problem on permission even I add user1 domain account on user1 folder with
full control. There still have permission problem. I am wondering if
ntusers.ini and ntuser.dat cannot be copied to the new profile etc.

ADMT and other tools cannot be used because user accounts are already
created in the new domain. Anymore suggestion or advise? Thanks a lot!!

B.regards,
Wilson

"Ada Pan [MSFT]" <v-ad...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ada Pan [MSFT]

Aug 9, 2005, 6:42:42 AM8/9/05
Hello Wilson,

I am sorry that there is a mistake in my previous response which may cause
some inconvenience. Let me clarify the steps more clearly:

1. You first need to create an account in Domain B.

2. Logon this computer to Domain B by using this newly created account.
This creates the user profile for this account on this computer.

3. When you use the newly created account to logon to DomainB on the same
computer, the previous user profile's name will NOT be changed. The NEWLY
created account's profile name will be CHANGED to USER1.DomainB. They are
both located in C:\documents and settings.

4. Log off the newly created account and then logon as a local
administrator/Domain Admin, copy all the files and folders in C:\documents
and settings\USER1\ to C:\documents and settings\USER1.DomainB. Click Yes
to all when you are prompted with any dialog box.

5. Log off the local administrator and then logon as USER1 in DomainB.