Slow communication after Windows 2003 SP2 installation

ahs.b...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2007, 5:13:11 AM3/20/07
I installed Windows 2003 R2 and tried to connect from a stand alone
Vista and XP SP2 computer to the server. The server is also stand
alone (no DC etc) and for both machines the communication was good. I
could connect an administrative share (c$) and do mstsc without any
delay.

Then I installed Windows 2003 SP2 and after a reboot only my Windows
XP SP2 machine can communicate without any delay. When I try to
connect to an administrative share from my Vista Business machine
there is a long delay before I have to authenticate and after
authentication every click causes another delay. When I connect to the
servers console (mstsc /console) there is also a delay in every click
(LAN-LAN). This is not the case when connection from my XP SP2
machine.

All machines are stand alone and not participating in any domain.

Can anyone confirm this and / or tell me how to resolve this?

Arjan

Auddog

Mar 20, 2007, 11:03:26 AM3/20/07
First, I would try and removing my vista machine from the domain and rejoin.
Hopefully that will take care of the authentication against a windows 2003
box. As for your server, was this an upgrade to R2 or did you completely
reformat and reinstall windows 2003? I hope you reformatted and
reinstalled.

<ahs.b...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Arjan

Mar 20, 2007, 11:33:55 AM3/20/07
On 20 mrt, 16:03, "Auddog" <wil...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> First, I would try and removing my vista machine from the domain and rejoin.
> Hopefully that will take care of the authentication against a windows 2003
> box. As for your server, was this an upgrade to R2 or did you completely
> reformat and reinstall windows 2003? I hope you reformatted and
> reinstalled.

> <ahs.bak...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I installed Windows 2003 R2 and tried to connect from a stand alone
> > Vista and XP SP2 computer to the server. The server is also stand
> > alone (no DC etc) and for both machines the communication was good. I
> > could connect an administrative share (c$) and do mstsc without any
> > delay.
>
> > Then I installed Windows 2003 SP2 and after a reboot only my Windows
> > XP SP2 machine can communicate without any delay. When I try to
> > connect to an administrative share from my Vista Business machine
> > there is a long delay before I have to authenticate and after
> > authentication every click causes another delay. When I connect to the
> > servers console (mstsc /console) there is also a delay in every click
> > (LAN-LAN). This is not the case when connection from my XP SP2
> > machine.
>
> > All machines are stand alone and not participating in any domain.
>
> > Can anyone confirm this and / or tell me how to resolve this?
>
> > Arjan- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Thx for your reply, however I stated that there is no domain (all
machines are stand alone)
Next: I reproduced this scenario twice on my hardware and the problem
resolves when I remove SP2.

It is a clean windows 2003 R2 Standard 64 bit Edition....no upgrades
here!

Arjan

José Antonio Quílez [MS MVP]

Mar 20, 2007, 3:24:41 PM3/20/07
Just the same for me. I have upgraded with SP2 two Server 2003 R2 x64, and
after reboot I have the same delays you say from three Vista Enterprise
clients, but not from all the XP clients, that remain working wothout
problems.

"Arjan" <ahs.b...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Arjan

Mar 20, 2007, 7:20:27 PM3/20/07
On 20 mrt, 20:24, José Antonio Quílez [MS MVP]

<jquilezlNOS...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Just the same for me. I have upgraded with SP2 two Server 2003 R2 x64, and
> after reboot I have the same delays you say from three Vista Enterprise
> clients, but not from all the XP clients, that remain working wothout
> problems.
>
> "Arjan" <ahs.bak...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thz Jose for this confirmation.

I did not yet find the reason for this delay and tomorrow I am going
to check at another site where we recently installed SP2 on some
servers.
results will be added here!

Arjan

mmmm

Mar 20, 2007, 9:41:52 PM3/20/07
MAJOR issue Win2K3 SP2 and Vista. I had the same issue. I have a Windows 2003 server with SP1 with a Vista and XP clients. Fast before. After I installed SP2 on the Windows 2003 server, the Vista computer slowed to a major crowl. It takes 10 seconds to get a refresh of a Terminal session from the 2K3SP2 server in Vista. File transfers hang up. Also the Explorer in Vista will lockup totally, I have to power cycle the Vista computer. No problems with the XP computers with W2K3SP2. This was so bad, I had to uninstall SP2 from my server. Back on W2KSP1, it is fast again. Boy, Microsoft does not know how to test things. I guess the public are beta testers. I verifed slow networking issue exist with Vista 64bit and 32bit versions connected to a Windows 2003 SP2 64bit Entprise Server.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Markus Oestreicher

Mar 21, 2007, 4:37:41 AM3/21/07
mmmm schrieb:

> MAJOR issue Win2K3 SP2 and Vista. I had the same issue.

We see the same issues in our lab. I have tracked this down further
yesterday. Only x64 servers seem to be affected.

This seems to be a client issue: It only occurs when using a Vista
workstation. From XPSP2 or W2K3SP1 clients everything works properly.

I think the problems are introduced by the new networking features
included with SP2.

Disabling some of them client-side solves the problem for me:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
and reboot

Markus

Arjan

Mar 21, 2007, 4:52:33 AM3/21/07

Today I installed SP2 on a Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition 32-bit
server and did not notice any problems with my Vista machine. This is
the same Vista machine I used when testing communications with a
windows 2003 R2 standard x64 server at another location so I confirm
the conclusion of Markus: This only affects x64 servers.

I also compared the GPO settings on both sites and they are "out of
the box" after installing the server. I did not find any difference
here!

I am going to try the settings client site (see post Markus). Thanks
Markus for the tips.

Arjan

mmmm

Mar 21, 2007, 9:07:17 PM3/21/07
The fix is to start the Windows Firewall service on the Windows 2K3 SP2 server. No reboots or logff logon reaquired. No Firewall Configuration required.

José Antonio Quílez [MS MVP]

Mar 22, 2007, 1:14:10 AM3/22/07
I will try this on the affected servers. Thank you

José Antonio Quílez [MS MVP]

Mar 22, 2007, 1:37:03 AM3/22/07
Hi Arjan
On the principal production server I've unistalled the SP2, and all works
fine now with Vista clients. I have other two x64 servers with SP2
installed, not so critical as the other, and I'll test with them what "mmmm"
sugests in his posts. I'll post here the results.

"Arjan" <ahs.b...@gmail.com> wrote in message

José Antonio Quílez [MS MVP]

Mar 22, 2007, 1:20:58 PM3/22/07
Fine. I've disabledd RSS and autotuning and the servers work well again.

Thank you all

"José Antonio Quílez [MS MVP]" <jquilez...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

danieldamlin

Mar 26, 2007, 8:56:38 AM3/26/07
GREAT TIP!

started up windows firewall service and then disabled firewall. No reboot and everything works at the expected speed now!

2003 R2 SP1

Styles@discussions.microsoft.com Chris Styles

Jun 6, 2007, 4:45:03 AM6/6/07
I too am having the same problem with 64 bit windows 2003. The firewall
service trick fixes it until I reboot. I guess the client side fix will work
but surley the problem is with the servers.

I did have an origional issue with the inbuilt adapters on my servers using
broadcom chipsets and I had to disable the RSS on the cards. Have since added
intel chipset cards.

Any idea what the underlying cause is and is there a permanent fix for the
server side?

Cheers

Noble - ITIS Technology@discussions.microsoft.com Jeffrey Noble - ITIS Technology

Jun 7, 2007, 11:05:05 AM6/7/07
Hi hope Microsoft takes note of this thread and posts some sort of issue on
the support site. I just finished upgrading my primary DC's to Exchange 2007
which requires x64 and this created some massive headaches...

Thanks all for the help this was invaluable.

"Denton" wrote:

> That is bizzar!!
>
> Had the same problem, started ICS and Firewall services then turned the fire
> wall off and it is fixed.

Skeeboe

Jun 9, 2007, 12:34:00 PM6/9/07
This also resolves a slow printing issue with a Windows 2003 x64Terminal
server. 80% of print jobs from an access app would hang and either print
after 30-90 seconds or eventually fail. After turning on the windows
firewall/ics service and turning off the firewall, all print jobs are split
second fast again.

drsplodge

Jun 14, 2007, 12:38:40 AM6/14/07

Hi guys

I'm sooooo glad I stumbled across this thread. I was experiencing the
same slowness issues with 2 vista laptops on one of our client's
domains.

The domain is a Windows 2003 RC2 SP1 (Std) Server. It all seemed to
happen after I applied the following bundle of patches:

Windows Server 2003 Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB935839)
Wednesday, 13 June 2007 Windows Update
Windows Server 2003 Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2007
(KB890830) Wednesday, 13 June 2007 Windows Update
Windows Server 2003 Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB935840)
Wednesday, 13 June 2007 Windows Update
Windows Server 2003 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express for
Windows Server 2003 (KB929123) Wednesday, 13 June 2007 Windows Update

Windows Server 2003 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7
for Windows Server 2003 (KB933566) Wednesday, 13 June 2007 Windows
Update
Windows Server 2003 Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB927891)
Wednesday, 13 June 2007 Windows Update
Windows Server 2003 Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB935966)
Wednesday, 13 June 2007 Windows Update
Windows Server 2003 Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB932168)
Wednesday, 13 June 2007 Windows Update
Windows Server 2003 Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB931784)
Wednesday, 13 June 2007 Windows Update
Windows Server 2003 Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB930178)
Wednesday, 13 June 2007 Windows Update
Windows Server 2003 Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB925902)
Wednesday, 13 June 2007 Windows Update

As you can see, the problem is not limited to the x64 version of
Windows, and not limited to SP2 either! Unfortunately, I'm unable to
pinpoint which of the above patches caused the issue.

I can verify that the starting and stopping of the Windows Firewall
service fixes the issue. Although it's a simple fix for most people,
for me it meant that I had to completely disable Routing and Remote
Access which was used for the VPN connections (I tried just stopping
the service, but that didn't work).

Also, in regards to the two lines quoted:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

I'm having issues with the parameter being incorrect etc (a user
reported this to me, I have not witnessed it first hand)? Is there
something fundamental he is doing wrong? I thought it was just a copy
and paste into a command prompt and hit enter after each line.

Great post guys!
PC

--
drsplodge
drsplodge's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=26692

http://forums.techarena.in

mro...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2007, 5:17:27 PM7/10/07

I tried the following commands as suggested on my Vista computer:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

I got the following error:

"set global command failed on IPv4. The requested operation requires
elevation."

Any help will be appreciated....

thanks

Eyal

Sep 17, 2007, 11:50:46 AM9/17/07
I did the same and it solved the problem.
Great!