SBS 2003 slowdown on logon

Bostjan

Jan 13, 2004, 3:51:26 PM1/13/04
We recently upgraded SBS 2000 to SBS 2003. We never had any particular
problems with 2000 but 2003 gives us headache. Hardware remained the
same, so did the applications. THe problem is that pretty often Server
2003 slows down to a point where you move a mouse and cursor responds
in 5 or more seconds. It seams as something would hog 100% of cpu
time. Sometimes it happens already while the server is at "Applying
computer settings" (after "Preparing network connections" <<- that
takes approx. 5 minutes), sometimes after the logon and sometimes when
you logoff.
What we could find out was that we ran Task Manager and watch running
instances. At certain point we spotted winlogon.exe to take 100% of
cpu, so I guess here's our problem.
Other than that, we are running SBS with DNS, DHCP, IIS 6, SQL server
(no ftp, no nntp) with Serv-U 4.1 ftp server, ALT-N Mdaemon 6.8.

We are an MS OEM builder, checking this software to offer upgrades to
our clients, but we are not inclined to do it now.

Jonathan Maltz [MS-MVP]

Jan 13, 2004, 4:04:56 PM1/13/04

You really may want to try posting this to the SBS 2003 newsgroup,
microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs. They should be able to help you far
better there

--
--Jonathan Maltz [Microsoft MVP - Windows Server]
http://www.visualwin.com - A Windows Server 2003 visual, step-by-step

"Bostjan" <bos...@tsc-laba.si> wrote in message

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Jan 13, 2004, 4:58:26 PM1/13/04
Make sure your Internal DNS servers are at the top of the
list before your external ones, we ran into that issue and
it seemed to fix the issue.

>.

Bostjan

Jan 14, 2004, 3:29:59 AM1/14/04
Which list? You mean in the DNS Manager? I can't move my domain in
there to a higher place, everything is sorted alphabetically...

Bostjan

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Jan 14, 2004, 9:30:14 AM1/14/04
Sorry in the DHCP Scope properties, the DC should be the
first DNS server there. That cleared up our issue.

Carey

>.

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Jan 14, 2004, 9:37:48 AM1/14/04
Lemme try this again, sorry i was going from Memory.
Goto DHCP, Drop down your scope and go into Scope Options,
in there you have your DNS servers. Make sure your DC is
the first one.

Carey

>.

Bostjan

Jan 16, 2004, 6:01:16 AM1/16/04
DC is first and only DNS server in DHCP...

It's really strange...server always slows down after we use some
(complete different) applications using COM ports...not that it's the
only case, but it's a definite one...

Bostjan

Jan 17, 2004, 7:40:02 AM1/17/04
<update>

Could be, that we just solved the problem. We took NETMOS COM port PCI
card out of the machine...so far 2 days w/o problems...we'll see, how
it goes...
We think there's a driver problem for the mentioned card - works on
w2k and xp, but not on server 2003...could that be it or should xp
drivers work in server 2003 too?