RE: DCOM 10010 error and "Snap-In failed To initialize"

Daytymer

Feb 9, 2006, 3:51:30 PM2/9/06
Lazyl,

I have several servers that are getting the DCOM did not register error. The
only reference to this error is for WindowsNT and has to do with a registry
edit. You can see this info at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q187146/. I
tried this on 2003 server and it does nothing.

Here is what I did. Take the entire server id including the {} and do a
search of the registry. This will tell you what program is causing the
problem. In my case it was mdm.exe (machine debug manager). Open Component
services and expand the tree to open DCOM Config. (Control
Panel/Administrative Tools/ Component Services) Check the properties of
whatever program you have found in the registry. On the identity tab the the
'launching user' apply and then check you event log.

Hope this helps. I don't have any info on the snap-in problem.

Daytymer

"Lazyl" wrote:

> The OS is Windows server 2003 SAS.
>
> The following patches was installed:
> -Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB912919)
> - Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB910437)
> - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows Server 2003
> (KB905915)
> - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB908
>
> The software UPS Worldship 7.0 was removed.
>
> Several errors occur aftre this:
> Cannot run RDP.
> Cannot Open administrative tools "snap-in failed to initialize"
> And most important
> DCOM error EVENTID: 10010
> The server {BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E} did not register with DCOM
> within the required timeout.
>
> Tried several searches but nothing matches.

Lazyl

Feb 10, 2006, 2:15:26 AM2/10/06
That could be the answer but since I can't open DCOM Config its is impossible
to say, it's catch 22.

/Patrik

Daytymer

Feb 10, 2006, 9:11:29 AM2/10/06
Lazyl

Have you tried opening it from a dos window? dcomcnfg

Daytymer

Daytymer

Feb 10, 2006, 9:23:28 AM2/10/06
Patrik,

Have you looked at this tech article?
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297064

Lazyl

Feb 10, 2006, 9:25:27 AM2/10/06
Problem solved! The file atl.dll was missing from system32, don't know what
actually happened but restoring the file solved all of my problems.