Black Screen for Logon Prompt Windows Server Enterprise

cgw

Oct 21, 2004, 1:14:49 PM10/21/04
Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition
I don't know why (or when it actually started since I'm not the only admin)
but one my Windows 2003 Server's is showing a black box instead of the logon
prompt. The Windows Server logon can be seen but the
username/password/domain area is all black.

Anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks

Miha Pihler

Oct 21, 2004, 1:38:39 PM10/21/04

I can't be sure, but similar problems have been connected to VNC remote
administration software. If you use it, uninstall it and this should resolve
your problem.

Also check your Event logs for any errors (system and application logs). If
you can't logon on the server try to view the logs remotely.

Mike

"cgw" <cgw@@nospam> wrote in message

Todd J Heron

Oct 21, 2004, 3:09:43 PM10/21/04
I saw this solution in another post:

The color schemes in the computer's default profile may have been set to
black for every scheme element. Please review the below steps for this may
resolve your issue:
On the Windows 2003 Server this can be verified by navigating to the
following registry key:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Colors
If this is the issue all colors scheme element registry values will be set
to 0. Compare this with a known good copy below:

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Colors]
"ActiveBorder"="212 208 200"
"ActiveTitle"="0 84 227"
"AppWorkSpace"="128 128 128"
"Background"="0 78 152"
"ButtonAlternateFace"="181 181 181"
"ButtonDkShadow"="113 111 100"
"ButtonFace"="236 233 216"
"ButtonHilight"="255 255 255"
"ButtonLight"="241 239 226"
"ButtonShadow"="172 168 153"
"ButtonText"="0 0 0"
"GradientActiveTitle"="61 149 255"
"GradientInactiveTitle"="157 185 235"
"GrayText"="172 168 153"
"Hilight"="49 106 197"
"HilightText"="255 255 255"
"HotTrackingColor"="0 0 128"
"InactiveBorder"="212 208 200"
"InactiveTitle"="122 150 223"
"InactiveTitleText"="216 228 248"
"InfoText"="0 0 0"
"InfoWindow"="255 255 225"
"Menu"="255 255 255"
"MenuText"="0 0 0"
"Scrollbar"="212 208 200"
"TitleText"="255 255 255"
"Window"="255 255 255"
"WindowFrame"="0 0 0"
"WindowText"="0 0 0"
"MenuHilight"="49 106 197"
"MenuBar"="236 233 216"

There is two ways to fix this problem:

1. Export the registry key from a known good machine into a .REG file.
Import the .REG file into the new machine.

2. You can also construct/copy-paste the following information into a text
file and give it a file name with a .REG extension.

--
Todd J Heron, MCSE
Windows 2003/2000/NT

"Miha Pihler" <mihap...@atlantis.si> wrote in message

cgw

Oct 21, 2004, 4:12:47 PM10/21/04
Thanks Todd
That was the problem!

Todd J Heron

Oct 21, 2004, 4:37:39 PM10/21/04
You're welcome.

--
Todd J Heron, MCSE
Windows 2003/2000/NT

"cgw" <cgw@@nospam> wrote in message

pprave...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2012, 4:58:38 PM11/7/12
On Friday, October 22, 2004 2:07:39 AM UTC+5:30, Todd J Heron wrote:
> You're welcome.-- Todd J Heron, MCSEWindows 2003/2000/NT"cgw" <cgw@@nospam> wrote in message news:e4GJSo6t...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...> Thanks Todd > That was the problem!>>

Thanks Todd its working fine now....

hax...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2012, 11:02:47 AM11/30/12
Awesome find, I am having this issue as well. Thanks for the fix.

nathan....@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2013, 9:54:03 PM2/7/13
On Friday, November 30, 2012 10:02:47 AM UTC-6, hax...@gmail.com wrote:
> Awesome find, I am having this issue as well. Thanks for the fix.

Great find, thanks very much!

r...@robinator.com

Feb 15, 2013, 11:41:00 AM2/15/13
Thanks so much... this was the solution! :)

ron.mar...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2013, 4:00:26 AM6/17/13
Eight and a half years later, this solution comes through again. Thanks!

wernerv...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2013, 3:17:27 AM6/19/13
thanks for this solution, it works great

sky...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2013, 10:49:17 AM7/5/13
On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:17:27 AM UTC-4, wernerv...@gmail.com wrote:
> thanks for this solution, it works great

More than eight and a half years later, awesome solution again. Thanks

kamrann...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2013, 11:56:35 AM9/28/13
Cant thank you enough for providing the solution. Thank you again.

joely...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2014, 6:43:48 AM3/17/14
Todd, nearly 10 years later you're still a star. I'd been panicking that this was going to be a nasty DLL corruption type problem when it's as simple to fix as a registry key. Thanks again!

malachy...@gmail.com

May 8, 2014, 11:53:29 AM5/8/14
10 years later and this little gem still works !

tren...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2015, 3:09:42 PM1/6/15
Thank you so much, this fixed our RDP sessions into this server; however logging in from the actual console (VGA/USB ports) on front of server still has black screen. What reg keys fix this, and how did this happen in the first place? Thanks again!

albertor...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2015, 4:03:54 PM1/31/15
Had this happen to me last week and still can't log onto VM machine. From the VM console I can on see half log on screen....anybody know a workaround?
Message has been deleted

3ina...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2015, 4:17:30 PM7/6/15
qww