Alias cannot be seen by same machine

James Whitehead

May 20, 2005, 12:10:30 AM5/20/05
Hi all,

I hope someone can help me here.

Have a server running 2003 SP1 named TEST1

Have setup an alias in DNS called ALIASTEST1 pointing to TEST1

Have implemented the registry fix to disable strict name checking on the
server.

Every other machine can interact with ALIASTEST1

When I try to go to ALIASTEST1 from the TEST1 machine it asks me for login
credentials.

Please help!!

Regards

James

techguy

May 20, 2005, 1:22:26 AM5/20/05

I percieve it to be a rights problem than anything else since it is able
to resolve the name but unable to get inside it.

--
techguy
techguy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=6552

James Whitehead

May 20, 2005, 2:33:00 AM5/20/05
I am logged into the TEST1 box though
ie. From the TEST1 box
I do a \\test1 and it shows all shares
I do a \\aliastest1 and it prompts with a username and login for which no
username and password work.

Has me stumped.

"techguy" <techguy...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

Ace Fekay [MVP]

May 20, 2005, 10:59:49 PM5/20/05
James Whitehead wrote:
> I am logged into the TEST1 box though
> ie. From the TEST1 box
> I do a \\test1 and it shows all shares
> I do a \\aliastest1 and it prompts with a username and login for
> which no username and password work.
>
> Has me stumped.

This is because of the way IIS works and how it deals with NetBios names..
Test1 is the Netbios name and with NetBios names, IIS will use your logged
on access token (your current logged on credentials) for your credentials.
If you access the URL by any other method that forces it to resolve to an IP
address, then it doesn't know who you are and you'll need to provide your
credentials. The cname (alias) is resolving to an IP.

That's by default...

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
=================================

Ace Fekay [MVP]

May 20, 2005, 11:01:16 PM5/20/05
James Whitehead wrote:
> I am logged into the TEST1 box though
> ie. From the TEST1 box
> I do a \\test1 and it shows all shares
> I do a \\aliastest1 and it prompts with a username and login for
> which no username and password work.
>
> Has me stumped.

In addition, you'll have to check the website's properties in IIS to see how
you have authentication set (what default domain, if basic authentication is
set or not, etc).

Ace

James Whitehead

May 22, 2005, 6:59:07 PM5/22/05
Thanks for the reply but IIS is not installed on this machine?

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNa...@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:uJPWCFb...@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Ace Fekay [MVP]

May 24, 2005, 2:11:58 PM5/24/05
James Whitehead wrote:
> Thanks for the reply but IIS is not installed on this machine?

You said you were connecting to a webserver thru IIS? I am assuming you are
connecting to an intranet server (IIS installed on some machine that you are
connecting to that is part of your domain). In that case it doesn't matter
if IIS is installed on your machine or not, but as I said, if you use the
NetBIOS name in the URL to connect to whatever webserver you are connecting
to in your organization, it will use your logged-on credentials (your
current access token). If you connect by any other means that resolves to an
IP, then it will prompt you.

That is default.

Ace

James Whitehead

May 24, 2005, 6:26:43 PM5/24/05
Thanks for the reply Ace however I think you must have misunderstood. I
didn't actually mention connection through a webserver. I am connecting via
NetBIOS names to shares not through IIS. I have found out a recent thing
however, this problem does not occur without SP1 installed, it is only a
problem with SP1.

Regards

message news:u9hYVwIY...@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

Ace Fekay [MVP]

May 26, 2005, 12:15:50 AM5/26/05
James Whitehead wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Ace however I think you must have misunderstood.
> I didn't actually mention connection through a webserver. I am
> connecting via NetBIOS names to shares not through IIS. I have found
> out a recent thing however, this problem does not occur without SP1
> installed, it is only a problem with SP1.
>
> Regards

I apologize for the misinterpreatation.

Can you post the info that you found out about this behavior please, such as
the URL for the info? Is it a Microsoft tech article?

Thanks
Ace

James Whitehead

May 26, 2005, 6:38:32 PM5/26/05
I only found this by testing. I have found a solution to the problem
however...

1. Locate the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

2. Add Value
Value name: DisableLoopbackCheck
Data type: REG_DWORD
Type: Decimal
Value: 1

Regards
"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNa...@hotmail.com> wrote in

message news:%23LfXcma...@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Ace Fekay [MVP]

May 27, 2005, 12:29:45 PM5/27/05
James Whitehead wrote:
> I only found this by testing. I have found a solution to the problem
> however...
>
> 1. Locate the following key in the registry:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
>
> 2. Add Value
> Value name: DisableLoopbackCheck
> Data type: REG_DWORD
> Type: Decimal
> Value: 1
>
> Regards

Thanks for posting that.

James, see if this applies:

281308 - Connecting to SMB Share on a Windows 2000-Based Server May Not Work
with an Alias Name [Doesn't work with CNAMES]:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=281308

Ace