2000/2003 FRS error

Richard Chinn [MSFT]

Dec 5, 2003, 1:30:00 PM12/5/03
You are having FRS replication problems. The journal wrap needs to be fixed
by a D2 restore. The people in the microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs
newsgroup will be able to help.

--Richard

Please post FRS related questions to microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs
and prefix the subject line with "FRS:" to make it easier to spot. Note
that FRS is used to replicate SYSVOL on domain controllers and DFS root and
link targets.

For additional FRS resources, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/frs.

"Yancey B. Jones" <ybj...@sgti.net> wrote in message
> I added a WIndows 2003 server as a domain controller to an existing 2000
> domain. I ran the domain and forest prep before bringing the 2003 server
> online. I transfered the FSMO roles to the 2003 server and also made the
> 2003 server the GC, all transfered without error. I want to take the 2000
> server offline but I am getting the following errors in the Event Viewers
> for the servers:
>
> The 2000 Server:
> The File Replication Service has detected that the replica set "DOMAIN
> SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" is in JRNL_WRAP_ERROR.
> Event ID 13568
>
> The 2003 Server:
> The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from
> SERVER2000 to SERVER2003 for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS name
> SERVER2000.DOMAIN.local. FRS will keep retrying.
> Event ID 13508
>

> I don't know if this problem is related, but when I take the 2000 server
> down, my users can't log in correctly and their log in scripts do not run.
> get error when trying to connect to a domain controller while trying to
run
> Active Directory Users and Computers when the 2000 server if offline. The
> 2000 server is running SP4.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
> Yancey B. Jones
> ybj...@sgti.net

Gary Mudgett [MSFT]

Dec 10, 2003, 8:46:22 AM12/10/03
Hi Richard,

It sounds like SYSVOL didn't replicate off of the 2000 server because the
2000 server was already in a Journal_Wrap state when the 2003 server was
promoted. If that is the case then a D4 (authoritative restore) should be
done on the 2000 server to allow SYSVOL to become able to replicate.

Here would be the steps that I would suggest, since you didn't mention how
many domain controllers already exist I will be assuming that the 2000
server was the only one.

1. On the Windows 2000 server, make a copy of the Policies and Scripts
folders in the SYSVOL folder, just in case something happens they can easily
be copied back.
2. Locate and then click the BurFlags value under the following key in the
registry and set it to a value of D4 (hex).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters\Ba
ckup/Restore\Process at Startup

3. Restart the File Replication Service

4. Wait for replication to complete and SYSVOL to share on the 2003 server.

This is similar to the following articles:
316790 The Sysvol and Netlogon Shares Are Missing After You Restore a
Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316790

315457 How to Rebuild SYSVOL and Its Content in a Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315457

--
Gary Mudgett, MCSE, MCSA
Windows 2000 Directory Services

from your issue.

"Richard Chinn [MSFT]" <rch...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Yancey B. Jones

Dec 10, 2003, 2:12:12 PM12/10/03
Gary,

I tried your steps and I am gettng the same message on both the 2000 server
and the 2003 server:

2003 Server (SERVER2)

The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from

\\SERVER1.DOMAIN.local to SERVER2 for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS
name \\SERVER1.DOMAIN.local. FRS will keep retrying.
Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name \\SERVER1.DOMAIN.local from
this computer.
[2] FRS is not running on \\SERVER1.DOMAIN.local.
[3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has
not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

2000 Server (SERVER1)

The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from

SERVER2 to SERVER1 for c:\winnt\sysvol\domain using the DNS name
SERVER2.DOMAIN.local. FRS will keep retrying.
Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name SERVER2.DOMAIN.local from
this computer.
[2] FRS is not running on SERVER2.DOMAIN.local.
[3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has
not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

FRS is running on both servers. I will post to the FRS group as well.

Thanks for the help so far,
Yancey

"Gary Mudgett [MSFT]" <gar...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Gary Mudgett [MSFT]

Dec 10, 2003, 5:30:42 PM12/10/03
There are additonal things going on with the 2000 server. Server1. We
would need additonal events and information to help troubleshoot that.
There is a really neat utility called FRSDIAG that can be downloaded from
the download center that will gather lots of information. You might
consider using that to help diagnose the problen
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=43cb658e-8553-4de7-811a-562563eb5ebf&DisplayLang=en

You might also consider downloading Ultrasound, if for nothing else it has a
great help file for FRS.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=61acb9b9-c354-4f98-a823-24cc0da73b50&DisplayLang=en