DFS backlog failing due to 80041002 WMI error?

Matt Brown - nyc

Mar 11, 2009, 10:40:13 AM3/11/09
Hello,

I am receiving the following error when attempting to run the DFSR
diagnostic report:

Due to the following error, the DFS Replication reporting mechanism
cannot access the WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) namespace
to retrieve certain reporting information. Error ID: 0x80041002.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem?

I have tested the following:
1) WMI can be connected to the other member of the DFS connection,
however, I can not find where the DFS WMI namespace is, so I can not
2) DNS/WINS is fine.
3) FRS/NTDS connection is working
4) FRS/NTDS replication is working

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE]

Mar 11, 2009, 10:57:08 AM3/11/09
Hello Matt,

Which command did you run to get the report. And please post the complete
error message

--
Isaac Oben [MCTIP:EA, MCSE]
"Matt Brown - nyc" <Matthe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Matt Brown - nyc

Mar 11, 2009, 1:31:57 PM3/11/09
Thanks for replying.

I use the Diagnostics Report feature in the DFS Management GUI; it was
thrown when backlog processing began.

The complete error message is:

Due to the following error, the DFS Replication reporting mechanism
cannot access the WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) namespace
to retrieve certain reporting information. Error ID: 0x80041002.

None of the following revealed any errors:
1) used WBEMTEST to connect to the \\[DFS Member server]\root
\MicrosoftDFS namespace (tests DNS entries (maybe WINS too), RDC
connectivity, TCP, etc)
2) Ran WMIDiag.vbs which revealed no critical errors (and no errors or
warnings related to dfs).

I then restarted the DFSR service and was able to run the backlog
reports; and all of the folders began replicating (except one that
began staging {used perfmon counters}).

My tape backup was hung up (I didn't even noticed :D) and failed when
I stopped the DFSR service.

How can I trace back the cause of the error in the first place? Do
you know of a DFS debug log analyzer?

Thanks very much for your help!

Matt Brown

On Mar 11, 10:57 am, "Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE]"