Windows Server 2003 R2 Cannot Join to Domain

William W.

Aug 15, 2006, 1:58:01 PM8/15/06

I had a problem when a new server installed with Windows Server 2003 R2
cannot be added to my existing domain. My existing domain had only one Domain
Controller which is a Windows Server 2003 SP1 server. I had a message as
listed below :-

The operation failed because:

The Active Directory Installation Wizard cannot continue because the forest
is not prepared for installing Windows Server 2003. Use the Adprep.exe
command-line tool to prepare both the forest and the domain. For more
information about Adprep.exe see Active Directory Help.

"The version of the Active Directory Schema of the source forest is not
compatible with the version of the Active Directory on this Computer"

Can W2K3 R2 become DC together with W2K3 SP1 DC?
Please help urgently.

William.

Serkan Varoglu

Aug 15, 2006, 2:23:01 PM8/15/06

If you look at the manual of R2 it will give you more information. Simply
what you need to do is to run "adprep /forest" command from your cd.
CDDrive:\cmpnents\R2\adprep folder.
and it will be ready.

Please read the manual especially the Schema update section before running
any command.

Thanks
--
Serkan Varoglu

Miguel

Aug 15, 2006, 2:28:02 PM8/15/06
Hi

Serkan is right. I just purchase a new server that has the R2 edition on it
and when I ran the Active Directory prep tool everything was fine. *Please
note that you have to run ADRPEP on your server that holds the infastructure
role or the process we error out*

Miguel Artache

MCSE 2003, CCNA

William W.

Aug 15, 2006, 11:59:07 PM8/15/06
Thanks guys for info.

DaMoose

Nov 24, 2006, 1:10:01 PM11/24/06
Hi guys,

I have similar situation too now.

Just to confirm, I need to run adprep /forest on the only DC win2003 R1
first, then the new server with win2003 R2 from the CD?..

How long did it take for the adprep /forest to run ?.. Could I run it during
office hours, lunch time preferably?..

Cary Shultz

Nov 24, 2006, 3:27:05 PM11/24/06
DaMoose,

It should happen pretty quickly, but that all depends on several factors
(mentioned in my reply to your other post).

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24012

"DaMoose" <DaM...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message