Relative Distinguished Name maximum length?

jmedd

Jun 26, 2009, 10:34:02 AM6/26/09

I'm creating some new groups in AD 2003 R2, some of which have particularly
long names.

I'm having an issue creating those who have a Relative Distinguished Name
(aka the ldap property 'name') which is greater than 64 characters.

MSDN doesn't seem to suggest that there is a size restriction for this
attribute though? (I'm basing this assumption on the fact that the equivalent
page for samaccount name shows a restriction of less than 20 characters)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms678697(VS.85).aspx

Can anyone clarify this?

Lee Flight

Jun 26, 2009, 10:54:32 AM6/26/09

Hi

see [1] the rdnAttId (the attribute to be used as RDN) of the group class is
Common-Name (cn)
and the range-upper of cn is 64 see [2]

Lee Flight

[1]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682251(VS.85).aspx
[2]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms675449(VS.85).aspx

"jmedd" <jm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

jmedd

Jun 26, 2009, 11:09:01 AM6/26/09

Cool.

Thanks

BobF

Jun 28, 2009, 8:36:30 AM6/28/09

Microsoft does say that 64 char is the limit in this case. sorry :(