Windows 2003 R2 and SP2?

VG

May 30, 2007, 3:16:24 PM5/30/07
I have just installed a Windows 2003 SP2 INTEGRATED image and now Im trying
to apply R2 on top - its telling me that its not compatible with my Service
Pack level. Does this mean I need to go in order of SP1, R2, and then SP2?

Thanks.

Jorge Silva

May 30, 2007, 5:17:03 PM5/30/07
Hi VG

That's interesting, never tested that way, but I heard something about
installing R2 after SP2 will cause problems to "if needed" uninstall SP2, so
I would assume that installing R2 after SP2 is possible... However according
with your experience doesn't sound that way, anyway could you post the exact
message that you're getting?
--
I hope that the information above helps you.
Have a Nice day.

Jorge Silva
MCSE, MVP Directory Services
"VG" <v...@vmware.com> wrote in message

Geoff

May 30, 2007, 10:30:50 PM5/30/07
Wow....we're just starting to do SP2 on DC's ...looking at R2 later this
year for the RFC2307 schema......

Should we hold off on SP2 until we do R2 ????

Paul Williams [MVP]

May 31, 2007, 6:57:50 AM5/31/07
What version of R2 are you using? If you've got the slipstreamed k3 SP2
media there will be an R2 SP2 media disk too. You must use that. If you're
using an older version of R2 this might be your problem. IIRC, from the
beta, there were SP2 disks for k3 and R2...

--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

Paul Williams [MVP]

May 31, 2007, 6:58:47 AM5/31/07
Don't base that decision on this news thread. Test it in the lab. I can't
see it being an issue if you use the correct media and a systematic
approach.

Jorge Silva

VG

Jun 1, 2007, 11:49:39 AM6/1/07

"Paul Williams [MVP]" <ptw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I already had an enterprise Windows 2003 SP1 CD - I just integrated it using
MS methods (as I have since Windows 2000 days). When I had a Windows 2003
SP2 afterwards, I installed ona new server then tried to run the R2 we
originally received. Are you saying there are "newer" version of R2
specifically for SP2? If so, this would be ridiculuous. I attached the
screenshot error in the threads.

Jorge Silva

Jun 2, 2007, 10:25:19 PM6/2/07
Hi VG
I di some testing on this and in my case I'm only presented with a warning
that tells me if I install R2 I won't be able to uninstall SP2, this warning
is espected as I already told you in previous Post.
However I found something that you may want to try, go to:
CD2\CMPNENTS\R2\ and edit the file R2INTL.INF, change the R2SPLevel = 1 to
R2SPLevel = 2, and try again, let me know the results.

--

> "Jorge Silva" <jorges...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The exact message..is attached.

VG

Jun 3, 2007, 4:49:10 PM6/3/07
Jorge...you DA MAN! that did the trick! I can not believe MS would
overlook something like this! Overlook meaning...explain workarounds for
people like myself!

"Jorge Silva" <jorges...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

VG

Jun 3, 2007, 5:04:26 PM6/3/07
AS mentioned, your workaround did the trick...but will this be fine in
Microsoft's "eyes?" Basically, would this be supported?

I am still at lost how it works for others and not me...why did I get it
versus "everyone."

Just to recap...I integrated by Windows 2003 SP1 CD with SP2 source - to
generate a Windows 2003 SP2 integrated CD Enterprise Edition. Tried to
apply R2 on top of SP2 integrated disk and error was produced due to Service
Pack level not matching...change the R2INTL.INF (in the R2 folder) per Jorge
Silva's suggestion and it no longer produced the error.

Jorge Silva

Jun 4, 2007, 8:09:34 AM6/4/07
Glad it worked.
According with my research the latest W2k3 R2 SP2 have the R2SPLevel = 2, so
I "think" that could be the answer.

--
I hope that the information above helps you.
Have a Nice day.

Jorge Silva
MCSE, MVP Directory Services
"VG" <v...@vmware.com> wrote in message

VG

Jun 4, 2007, 4:43:16 PM6/4/07
Hopefully it is just the update check (the R2xx file you mentioned) and not
actual bits or code that's different.