sites and services servers

MRNews

Mar 24, 2010, 7:06:18 PM3/24/10
Hi
I recently went into our AD site and services and noticed under servers
there are about 4 servers that havent been online for months. Is it safe to
just remove/delete them here? Also our licensing server is listing a dead
server?
Wondering why it never showed anything in event log. This is a 2003 sp2
server in a small domain with 2 other DCs

Thanks

Shem

Santhosh Sivarajan

Mar 24, 2010, 9:09:46 PM3/24/10
You need to perform a metadata cleanup.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736378(WS.10).aspx

You can follow this article to change the licensing sever
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737307(WS.10).aspx
--
Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA,
Network+

"MRNews" <n...@no.com> wrote in message

Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]

Mar 25, 2010, 12:50:51 AM3/25/10
"MRNews" <n...@no.com> wrote in message news:uOLlha6y...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

Curious, what happened to the servers? Did they all fail, or were they simply unplugged or reinstalled blowing away the operating system?

Have they been offline more than 180 days?

Either way, if they will not be back up online, as Santhosh mentioned, you have to manually remove them from AD performing a Metadata Cleanup process.

--
Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

MRNews

Mar 25, 2010, 6:41:58 PM3/25/10
1st they are not domain controllers, and 2 of the 3 had been
off-died/replaced for over 1 year.

shem

"Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <ace...@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in message

Florian Frommherz [MVP]

Mar 26, 2010, 3:13:16 AM3/26/10

Howdie!

On 25.03.2010 23:41, MRNews wrote:
> 1st they are not domain controllers, and 2 of the 3 had been
> off-died/replaced for over 1 year.

You're sure you see them in "Sites & Services" and not in "Users and
Computers"? If those are non-DCs and they have been decommissioned or
replaced or died or whatever, you might wanna just delete their computer
accounts in Active Directory.

What about that license server? How's that one reported dead? You do you
see that information?

Cheers,
Florian

Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]

Mar 26, 2010, 10:57:05 PM3/26/10
"MRNews" <n...@no.com> wrote in message news:OuM6mxGz...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> 1st they are not domain controllers, and 2 of the 3 had been
> off-died/replaced for over 1 year.
>
> shem

Based on your original post, you stated you see multiple servers in Active Directory Sites and Services, Server container. As Florian stated, this usually means they were either a DC at one time, or have been depromoted, or failed, hence why they show up. Otherwise, I would think there may have been a service or app running on it that uses AD Sites, or you were looking in ADUC.

Either way, I agree with Florian to delete the objects if they no longer exist.