unable to install .msi file

Tine

Mar 4, 2004, 7:54:27 PM3/4/04
Greetings,

I am trying to install a program on my computer, but get the following
message when running setup:

--
This advertised application will not be installed because it might be
unsafe. Contact your administrator to change the installation user interface

There is only one user account on this computer, the one I am currently
using - with administrative privileges, I thought. So why am I getting this
error? What can be done to fix it?

Btw, I do not have problems installing other software, except for this one,
an .msi file.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance.
Tine

Carolyn Napier [MSFT]

Mar 11, 2004, 3:35:35 PM3/11/04
Are you in an environment where software deployment is used such that the
application was originally advertised? The error message comes from packages
created with Visual Studio. They do not allow installation in full UI mode if
the application was previously advertised on the machine. If the application was
previously advertised, you have to install using basic UI or no UI.

The following should work: "msiexec /i package.msi /qb" which would initiate the
install in Basic UI.

Hope this helps,
- Carolyn Napier
Microsoft Windows Installer Team