Repetitive Media Center Receiver Service error messages

Julie

May 24, 2006, 6:34:01 PM5/24/06
I am getting repeated error messages flashing up on my screen (about every 30
seconds - it is very disruptive) that say the following:

Media Center Receiver Service has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

When I click on the "to see what data the error report contains" box, this
appears:

szAppName : ehrecvr.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2715.2773 szModName : unknown
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 23c91bd9

I cannot find any help for this on the microsoft website. All windows
updates are current. This has been happening for about three days. I do not
use Windows Media center at all. Can I disable it? Or does anyone have any
ideas on what the heck I can do to get rid of this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Squeek

May 26, 2006, 11:22:01 AM5/26/06
Did you get a solution? I have the exact problem and cannot seem to get an
answer from anyone anywhere
--
Margaret

ToniLou

May 26, 2006, 12:37:04 PM5/26/06
Hi

The only real solution I found to that problem is format and do a clean
install. This also happened to me a long time ago. There is something
really wrong with your Windows installation.

Before doing so, try mcerepair at
http://blogs.msdn.com/peterrosser/archive/2005/10/21/483723.aspx

Toni

Toni

Raphael

Jul 4, 2006, 12:17:02 AM7/4/06
program that toni had recommended for the media centre error message
wasexcellent. thank you very much indeed for your great intense of work and i
ensure the program worked very well and i strongly recomend to other users
that have media centre problem this is only for error messages not for other
purpose

thank you

Jeremy

Sep 16, 2006, 2:50:01 PM9/16/06
I have tried that app and it still gives me the error, is there any other
suggestions?

I have run mcerepair.exe
Updated all drivers
Installed all updates
Reinstalled Dot Net Framework

As a final straw I reinstated my system to factory default installation.
This worked for like a day and I was back to the constant error prompt of the
ehrevr.exe service failing.

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that MS charges you to contact them when
there software fails. This has to be known to them there are tons of people
that seem to have this issue.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any other suggestions

furious

Nov 4, 2006, 9:39:01 AM11/4/06
I have had the same problem for 4 days after trying to install a webcam which
does not work. I will try your solution.

furious!

michael_courage

Mar 3, 2007, 8:32:00 PM3/3/07

Thanks Tony!!!!

Your Advice:
"try mcerepair at
http://blogs.msdn.com/peterrosser/ar...21/483723.aspx"

Worked great for me!
Much appreciated
Mike

--
michael_courage
michael_courage's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22837

http://forums.techarena.in

grandma

Nov 30, 2007, 1:13:40 PM11/30/07

GOT THIS FIX FROM HP-- IT WORKED!!

Issue : "Media Center Receiver Service has encountered a problem and
needs to close." This error message pops up every 10 seconds even when
we are not using the Media Center on the computer

Cause : If the TV Tuner Card installed on the computer is being used by
any other software other than Media Center for capturing purposes this
issue will occur.

Description : Starting with Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
(MCE) 2005, a process (ehrec.exe) runs at all times, monopolizing the
tuner device on the system. The solution is to disable the service
responsible for starting the "ehrec.exe" process. Note that this does
not occur with versions of MCE prior to 2005. This issue will only
occur if a customer is using a software other than Media Center to
capture Analog Signals.

Resolution/Workaround:

Navigate to CONTROL PANEL --> ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS --> SERVICES.

Find the "Media Center Receiver Service" in the list; rIght-click on it
and select "Properties."

On the "...properties" window that appears when you do so, find the
"Startup type:" entry on the "General" tab. Set "Startup Type" to
"Disabled" (as shown in the screenshot below) and hit APPLY.

4- Then, reboot the computer.

CAUTION : Disabling this service will prevent the Media Center from
showing Live TV. Please educate the customer by informing him that the
TV Tuner card can be used by a single software at a time, so if the
Media Center is running in the processes (ehrec.exe), use of any other
capturing application will cause this error to pop-up on the screen.
Ideally customer should only use the Media Center softwares for
capturing purposes.

--
grandma
grandma's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=36298

cdmdny

Dec 13, 2007, 9:29:00 PM12/13/07
grandma: I could just kiss you....your solution worked! I can't believe it.
I have had this problem for a long long time and I kept rolling back to
version 10 but I have just purchased a Zune that needs version 11. THANK
YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

jmarshall47469

Jan 12, 2009, 12:40:12 PM1/12/09

I used the following to repair my error message problem: MceRepair 0.2

--
jmarshall47469
jmarshall47469's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jmarshall47469.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

nerd

Mar 18, 2009, 2:32:18 AM3/18/09

is there a way to actually fix the problem? disabling the message is
fine, but, i want to use media center to watch TV.

--
nerd
nerd's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/nerd.htm

Jaime

Mar 18, 2009, 10:24:39 AM3/18/09
Fix what problem?

Since you clipped the thread, the only thing your message contained is the
text below, please elaborate.
--
James
Orlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida

"nerd" <nerd....@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

S.Sengupta

Mar 19, 2009, 1:56:22 AM3/19/09
Which message?

regards,
S.Sengupta[MS-MVP]

mojo the monkey

Jul 4, 2009, 6:32:44 AM7/4/09

try this one.

cause - drm broke after upgrading hardware.

solution:

disable services using drm:
media center receiver service
windows media player network sharing service

reboot

backup and delete contents of system folder
c:\documents and settings\all users\drm

set services back to automatic

reboot.

good luck :)

--
mojo the monkey
mojo the monkey's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/111332.htm

geraldlee11

Jul 7, 2009, 1:52:56 PM7/7/09

ok to fix this just delete any new codecs you have installed

--
geraldlee11
geraldlee11's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/112401.htm

concentric

Dec 20, 2009, 9:48:23 PM12/20/09

Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service pack 3

Video Error
Files needed to display video are not installed or not working
correctly.
Please restart Media Center and/or restart the computer
OK.

Cannot Load Files
Some of the files needed to play radio or video are missing or corrupt.
Try restarting the computer.

Critical Process Failure
A critical Media Center process has unexpectedly failed.
If problems persist, please restart your machine and try again, or
contact technical support. Code: 3
OK

"backup and delete contents of system folder
c:\documents and settings\all users\drm"

My "question":

I don't have this file/folder in the location you mention

I searched drm.
For just "drm".......

file in C:\i386
folder in C:\WINDOWS\ehome
file in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
folder in C:\WINDOWS\wt\wtupdates
folder in C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\ControlPanel

I want to use Media Center
(1) to watch TV using my Dell Angel
and
(2) to watch DVDs.

(Once I get my sound problem figured out, I'll be able to use if for
DVS)
- - - - - - - - - -
Dell
Model: Angel USB TV tuner
Dell Label P/N: X9844

To get the specs, I found a tuner for sale on ebay.......

System Requirements:
5400 RPM or faster Disk Drive (Note: Disk DMA must be enabled for
proper operation.)
Minimum 256MB RAM, 512MB Recommended
1.8GHz Processor, 400 MHz Front Side Bus
DirectX 9.1 or higher
One USB type A port for the Angel USB TV Tuner (must be USB 2.0)

This tuner is compatible with: Windows Media Center 2005 Edition,
Windows Vista (32 and 64-bit), and Windows 7.

--
concentric
concentric's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/165824.htm

Barb Bowman

Dec 21, 2009, 4:29:21 AM12/21/09
you are replying to a 6+ month old thread. you really should start a new one
with your issue.

you could try a system restore to a time before this started.

or, it is possible that the decoder changed because you updated/installed some
other program. try
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DE1491AC-0AB6-4990-943D-627E6ADE9FCB&displaylang=en
in any case if the above doesn't help, please start a new thread with a complete
description of when this started and what changed on your system.

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:18:23 +0530, concentric <concentr...@DoNotSpam.com>
wrote:

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Curious

Dec 21, 2009, 8:41:34 AM12/21/09

That error is referring to a problem with either your TV tuner/video capture
card and driver or to a problem with your DVD decoder program.
If you can play a DVD in MC then it is tuner card or driver problem.
If you can not play a DVD in MC then it is a DVD Decoder problem.

"concentric" <concentr...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

concentric

Dec 23, 2009, 9:29:42 PM12/23/09

To Curious-
To see if it was just a bad piece of equipment, I purchased a brand new
tuner: WinTV-HVR
HYBRID TV STICK
950Q
Hauppauge
Designed for Microsoft Windows XP

Since I got the same error messages with that, I just took it back to
the store. I had already read on some message boards from people whose
identical problems started before mine: that it looks like a hardware
problem, but it's really software (incompatibility).

concentric

Dec 23, 2009, 11:13:44 PM12/23/09

"If you can play a DVD in MC then it is tuner card or driver problem."

To Curious-
I *can* play a DVD in MC.

Barb Bowman

Dec 24, 2009, 4:45:07 AM12/24/09

did Media Center ever work properly or have you always had this issue?

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 07:59:42 +0530, concentric <concentr...@DoNotSpam.com>
wrote:

>To Curious-
>To see if it was just a bad piece of equipment, I purchased a brand new
>tuner: WinTV-HVR
>HYBRID TV STICK
>950Q
>Hauppauge
>Designed for Microsoft Windows XP
>
>Since I got the same error messages with that, I just took it back to
>the store. I had already read on some message boards from people whose
>identical problems started before mine: that it looks like a hardware
>problem, but it's really software (incompatibility).

Curious

Dec 24, 2009, 8:35:16 AM12/24/09
What kind of TV programs are you trying to receive, analog via cable or OTA
digital with an antenna?
If digital you can not receive OTA digital on MCE2005 without a separately
installed analog tuner card.

concentric

Dec 24, 2009, 11:04:38 AM12/24/09

To Barb:
I have found internet info and postings from Vista people who have the
same problem as I do and from hp people, but they all seem to have
solutions that I can't track on my combination of computer and OS (?).

I am happy to start a new post.
What should I call it, for the best and most attention grabbing
keywords?
Anyway.....

Dell Inspiron E1705
Laptop
Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
1.85 gigahertz Intel Core Due
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Dell
Model: Angel USB TV tuner
Dell Label P/N: X9844

When I first got my laptop, I never used the Angel tuner that I ordered
WITH the laptop from Dell.
I started using it a couple of years ago and, at first, it worked
fine.
The clarity was disappointing compared to the clarity of large sized
image files viewed on the same screen.
I got used to that.

About a year or so ago, I started having problems.
I was always having the video get stalled on a frame and stay there for
anywhere from a second to minutes, while the audio seemed to go on
uninterrupted.

It initially seemed like a bad tuner because, after a while I notice
that I could lose my TV signal if I bumped the tuner, and later on, from
the vibration of me just putting a mug down on the same table it sat
on.

Eventually, or right away, the picture would go away and I would lose
sound and get a dark blue screen (instead of TV) with, I think, �Loss of
Signal Error�.

Things degraded to the point that it just never worked.
I wonder if it would have started giving me problems earlier if I had
been doing my updates, as I was receiving the messages.

Some postings blame updates of software.
I cannot restore my system back that far. I've tried.

To see if it was just a bad piece of equipment, I purchased a brand new

tuner: WinTV-HVR............

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
One suggestion that I got from a board/forum that worked EXTREMELY well
for a short period of time was to power down, unplug your power cord,
and I think also unhook your internet.
Because I have a laptop, at the same time I also removed my battery.
Then put everything back.
Over the course of a couple of weeks or months this started working
less and less well, and then not at all.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

concentric

Dec 24, 2009, 12:26:05 PM12/24/09

To Curious and Barb Bowman, please see my new thread:

Dell Angel USB TV tuner kept losing signal, then never working at all,
TV Tuner Not Installed, Loss of Signal Error, Windows XP Media Center
Edition

concentric

Dec 24, 2009, 1:39:01 PM12/24/09

Hi Curious-

I wrote:
"To see if it was just a bad piece of equipment, I purchased a brand

new tuner: WinTV-HVR.....950Q......
I took it back to the store because I was still getting all the same
old messages as with the Dell Angel."

I don't have the 950.
I took it back to the store.
It was a "tester"
See specs that I mentioned about the Dell Angel.
I am having problems with the Dell Angel.

"check the MCE version number in MC itself"
I don't know how to do that.

Thanks!

--
concentric
concentric's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/165824.htm

View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/mediacenter/1285806.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Master_Spade

Apr 30, 2010, 2:29:29 PM4/30/10

PiperAnne;4798709 Wrote:
> WOW!!!! It worked! Hallelujah!!! The popups have stopped!!!! It is truly
> a miracle!!! Thank you so very much!

What EXACTLY did you do to fix the problem, as I too am now having that
VERY annoying problem??

--
Master_Spade
Master_Spade's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/96093.htm

Jaime

Apr 30, 2010, 5:24:07 PM4/30/10
To what problem do you refer?

The only thing posted is what is below, you seem to have clipped the
James
Bart: "According to creationism, there were no cavemen."
Homer: "Good riddance! Their drawings sucked and they looked like hippies."

"Master_Spade" <Master_Sp...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message