RE: TV Guide won't download, Code 23

jesse

Oct 29, 2005, 6:02:01 PM10/29/05
I wish I had a solution but all I have to offer is I'm getting the same
problem. Brought a home build MCE online today, and all is working great
until I go to get the guide and I get exactly what you describe below. Hope
someone who is in the know can help us out.

"Scott" wrote:

> I've been using mce for a long time with no problems. Today I got a Guide
> download error popup message. I tried to download manually and got this
> message: "The Guide could not be downloaded for the following reason: Guide
> processing error (Code: 23)". So I tried the Guide setup wizard and got the
> same message and of course the Guide wizard cleared out all of my already
> downloaded Guide data. Anyone know what could be causing my Guide problem?
> Thanks,
> Scott
> --
> HP zd7000 MCE2005

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 29, 2005, 6:33:21 PM10/29/05
Check your system time and time zone. Also, if you have McAfee's Privacy Service installed, uninstall it.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Scott

Oct 29, 2005, 8:21:02 PM10/29/05
System time and time zone fine, no McAfee. MCE has been working fine with
this system for a long time. No changes have been made, Guide just stopped
downloading.
--
HP zd7000 MCE2005

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 29, 2005, 8:35:01 PM10/29/05
Click Start, Run and enter EVENTVWR.MSC Open the Applications branch and look for any errors related to the Media Center Scheduler. Double click any error entries and post back with the contents.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Bill Joy

Oct 29, 2005, 8:55:31 PM10/29/05
Today I experienced this same problem with MSC 2005. I installed Rollup2
several days ago, have never had a problem getting the guide before, and I
know it has successfully done a download more than once since installing the
rollup.

Here is my error information from the log:
Event Info: Unexpected error during load: System.FormatException: Bad file
format. Cant find section

at Microsoft.Ehome.Epg.Helper.XmlHelper.ReadToSection(XmlReader Reader,
String SectionName)

at Microsoft.Ehome.Epg.Loader.Xml.GuideXmlLoader.Run(Object[] arrArgs)

at Microsoft.Ehome.Epg.Loader.GuideLoadManager.LoadImp()

Process: DefaultDomain

Object Name: Media Center Guide

Note that I did try renaming the directory "c:\documents and settings\All
Users\application data\microsoft\ehome\epg", rebooting, then retrying again
and had the same failure.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dk...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Scott

jiml

Oct 29, 2005, 9:38:05 PM10/29/05
SAME THING:

rs

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 29, 2005, 10:07:15 PM10/29/05
Thanks to you and the others for posting the info on the log errors. I don't have an answer for you at this time, but..........

In a recent discussion with a number of MVP's, it was determined that the majority of us were doing clean installs during the beta testing of Rollup 2 (this means a clean OS install, update to the newest MCE drivers for your hardware, apply all Windows Updates that are applicable, make sure that all MCE functions work, then install Rollup 2 and the update to Rollup 2). I've got 3 MCE PC's here, a Gateway, an FIC and a clone, and none of them are experiencing problems. The Gateway and the FIC are used solely as MCE machines with little extra software installed. The clone is used primarily for extenders, as an MCE machine, and as my primary desktop. Its got so much crap on it, it isn't funny.

But the General consensus was that clean installs will yield the best results, at this time.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

jiml

Oct 29, 2005, 10:12:55 PM10/29/05
Man,, what a way to make some money for all those PC repair guys out there..

Bill Joy

Oct 29, 2005, 10:16:47 PM10/29/05
It seems that everyone is having the same experience as I am -- the problem
started today.

I have noticed that the tooltip (when I move the mouse over the icon tray
item when downloading) gets as high as 36% download completed before the
failure. Is it possible the corruption is actually in something which is
part of the download -- that the problem is not in our machines?

Have you actually forced a guide download today to check this?

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dk...@mvps.org> wrote in message

rs

Oct 29, 2005, 10:27:28 PM10/29/05
I tried removing everything from the EPG directory, same thing. I also
went to the zap2it site (www.zap2it.com) and tried downloading the
guide for my area. It seems to work.

I just did a clean reinstall of MCE to try to fix a standby problem
(computer goes into standby, but wakes up a few seconds later). The
problem was not fixed. I'll have to muster up some courage and time to
do another install.

jesse

Oct 29, 2005, 10:28:01 PM10/29/05
Clean install - check!

this is a brand spacken new system. Just configured all the hardware last
night, today I installed all the drivers, then did the updateathon to the
system. The only piece that I do know that went in after the updateathon was
the hauppaug tuner card, wanted everything stable before I introduced this
piece. But as there are some here who were working fine prior to this, and
didn't update a thing today, I've got to believe its an issue with the
download and not machine specific....Hope to here an answer soon. BTW my
error message is dito to the ones above. Thanks.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 29, 2005, 10:47:11 PM10/29/05
I just did a manual guide download with no issues. In Event Viewer (Start, Run, EVENTVWR.MSC) go to the System branch. You should see an entry for Service Control Manager that corresponds to the time you tried the guide download. It should read:

The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service entered the running state.

If the download is successful, you should see a new entry in Application that reads Media Center Guide. And its contents will be similar to:

Event Info: Guide Successfully Downloaded
Version: 2599443204
Supplier id: 1
Headend network type: HEADEND_NETWORK_TYPE_STB
Headend id: MA62887X
Headend name: Tewksbury, Comcast (Digital)
Supplier Info: Powered by Zap2it
Supplier: Zap2it
Schema Version: 1.1
Language: en
Copyright: © 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Service: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=8430

Process: DefaultDomain
Object Name: Microsoft.Ehome.Epg.Ehepgdat

If it fails, you should see an error entry corresponding with the time of the failure.

Worst case scenario, delete the 2 SDF and 2 XML files from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\eHome\EPG. Then open Media Center and go to Settings, TV, Guide, Set up Guide Listings and set it all up again.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 29, 2005, 11:03:33 PM10/29/05
Its possible that you're getting a corrupt download. I believe that the guide download is actually connecting to a MySQL database (could be SQL Server) for its information. It could be on their end, it could be in the transport in between.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the day that the US shifts on/off of Daylight Savings time. While I wouldn't think an hour would make any major difference, error 23 usually is linked to time/time zone being incorrect, from what I've observed. You could try setting your clock forward/backward an hour and see what happens.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Bill Joy

Oct 29, 2005, 11:17:10 PM10/29/05
I have tried:

(a) Adjusting the current time on my machine up and down one hour. Didn't
help.

(b) Renaming my EPG directory, restarting Media Center (it immediately
created a new EPG directory), and going through the guide setup. Failed
with the same 23 error code after I entered my zip code, selected which
provider I use, and it started to do a download.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dk...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 29, 2005, 11:26:04 PM10/29/05
Did you adjust the time, then clean up the EPG folder, then try the download? Just curious, as its working fine here on all 3 of my MCE machines.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Bill Joy

Oct 30, 2005, 12:09:00 AM10/30/05
Yes and I got the same 23 error code.

However looking in the log, I am seeing these entries after testing with the
adjusted machine time:

Event Info: Error acquiring load mutex: did client call BeginTransaction
twice?

Process: DefaultDomain
Object Name: Media Center Guide

Event Info: Unable to begin transaction to database in LoadGuideFromFile

Process: DefaultDomain
Object Name: Media Center Guide

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dk...@mvps.org> wrote in message

rs

Oct 30, 2005, 12:35:47 AM10/30/05
I just downloaded the guide successfully after rebooting my machine,
although I don't think the reboot had anything to do with it. I suspect
that it was somehow related to the timezone or to a bad download from
the source.

THanks for all the help.

rs

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 30, 2005, 12:44:42 AM10/30/05
Hi Bill,

I'm looking into this, but so far I'm not finding much. It definitely appears to be related to the database connectivity, but there's no indication of whether its on the client or server side, that I can tell.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

jesse

Oct 30, 2005, 2:20:02 AM10/30/05
so I check this and all those servers are starting and running....here in a
nutshell is an error generated each and everytime the guide fails to start.
Further more once this error happens the time update server needs to be
stopped and restarte, or the computer rebooted to make ti work again. the
error message is below:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7
Date: 10/30/2005
Time: 1:14:47 AM
User: N/A
Computer: MEDIACENTER
The time provider 'NtpClient' returned an error while updating its
configuration. The error will be ignored. The error was: Catastrophic failure
(0x8000FFFF)

Scott

Oct 30, 2005, 9:51:04 AM10/30/05
I'm still getting code 23 error and cannot get Guide download. I've deleted
the files in EPG and run the Guide Wizard several times...same thing. By the
way, this does not have anything to do with rollup 2. When this problem
occured first (Saturday morning) I had not installed any updates or changed
any hardware configs. I did updates later that day, including rollup 2 but
only after trying many times to download the Guide. Since this problem seems
to have happened with quite a few of us, at the same time, it seems like it
must be a problem at the server end, not at my end? I hope it clears up
soon. If anyone else has the problem clear up please post.
--
HP zd7000 MCE2005

carl...@iname.com

Oct 30, 2005, 10:36:36 AM10/30/05
I also got the error message in the event viewer mentioned above (Event
Info: Unexpected error during load: System.FormatException: ) but also
3 at the same time 6 minutes later that all happened that have not been
mentioned here:

Event Info: Mutex acquisition failure
Process: DefaultDomain
Object Name: Microsoft.Ehome.Epg.Loader.EPGLoader
---

----

Event Info: Unable to begin transaction to database in
LoadGuideFromFile

Process: DefaultDomain
Object Name: Media Center Guide

( I am having the code 23 guide download error problem)

Brad

Oct 30, 2005, 11:06:06 AM10/30/05
I set up two MCE machines yesterday and am getting the same problem. I live
in zip code 84095. There are five TV signal providers listed. For me, the
correct provider is "Salt Lake City, Comcast (Upgrade)". When I select this
provider, it incorrectly identifies it as digital and then the guide fails to
download. If I select "Salt Lake City, Comcast", the guide downloads
correctly, but the channels are wrong.

jesse

Oct 30, 2005, 11:28:02 AM10/30/05
Man I was so hoping my error 23 was related to daylight savings time and
today would be a new day. I guess not. Still there, still braking my time
update service.... Oh well. I happen to have a legit copy of win theater
from intervideo. I think later today its reformat time and bubye for MCE.
Its a nice idea but this is just plain ridiculous. 2 days no guide updates,
new installs all new hardware and nothing. I've taken it out of my network
and direct connect to eliminate that. I've tried all the suggestions in here
and about 10 other places from cleaning out the applications folder, to
manual setting time, etc etc etc. I figure if this is as reliable as it gets
it won't ever be a valid solution for tv recording. Oh well. I'll troll
here for a bit longer fingers crossed, but I'm sorta giving up hope on this
one.
Message has been deleted

jiml

Oct 30, 2005, 12:39:59 PM10/30/05
I am still getting Error code 23.. So I was chcking my clock time.. Was
saying So I opened the clock to adjust the time.. and am getting errors
when I try to update the internet time.. I turned off the Daylight Saving
Time.. No help. Tried some other time servers too.. same error.. Got all MS
updates except for UPDATE ROLLUP 2.. which fails install..

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7
Date: 10/30/2005

Time: 11:10:14 AM
User: N/A
Computer: JCR-001

The time provider 'NtpClient' returned an error while updating its

configuration. The error will be ignored. The error was: The handle is
invalid. (0x80070006)

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None

Event ID: 10
Date: 10/30/2005
Time: 11:10:14 AM
User: N/A
Computer: JCR-001
The time provider 'NtpClient' returned an error when asked for time samples.
The error will be ignored. The error was: The handle is invalid.
(0x80070006)

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None

Event ID: 9
Date: 10/30/2005
Time: 11:09:58 AM
User: N/A
Computer: JCR-001

The time provider 'NtpClient' returned an error when notified of a time
jump. The error will be ignored. The error was: The handle is invalid.
(0x80070006)

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7
Date: 10/30/2005

Time: 11:15:44 AM
User: N/A
Computer: JCR-001

The time provider 'NtpClient' returned an error while updating its

configuration. The error will be ignored. The error was: The handle is
invalid. (0x80070006)

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Media Center Guide
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 10/30/2005
Time: 11:17:30 AM
User: N/A
Computer: JCR-001

Event Info: Unable to begin transaction to database in LoadGuideFromFile
Process: DefaultDomain
Object Name: Media Center Guide

Data:
0000: 05 99 d3 76 b9 3c ba 42 .ô”vπ<∫B
0008: 64 6f d2 1a 8d 27 7f 89 do“.ç' â
0010: 8c 99 72 f8 22 d8 93 33 åôr¯"ÿì3
0018: 7f 61 2c a1 6e ed a6 1b a,°n̶.
0020: 26 23 a4 24 1b 24 2f 1a &#§$.$/.
0028: c5 ac 98 dc 0f 05 24 44 ≈¨ò‹..$D
0030: 08 e2 c4 23 a8 0e c7 4b .‚ƒ#®.«K
0038: 36 f9 41 b5 c5 3f b9 de 6˘Aµ≈?πfi
0040: 66 9d e0 bc 0d ba 60 4a fù‡º.∫`J
0048: bb 96 bb cd 75 5d 8c 65 ªñªÕu]åe
0050: e0 d8 56 2e 20 37 34 a5 ‡ÿV. 74•
0058: 2b d8 95 f9 aa fe 61 ae +ÿï˘™˛aÆ
0060: 3d af b1 09 28 91 4d 00 =ر.(ëM.
0068: bd 76 a5 b7 1d 1a 23 ea Ωv•∑..#Í
0070: b5 c8 5c 8f 46 db de 20 µ»\èF€fi
0078: fc 48 d1 6c 7d ad 3f 5b ¸H—l}≠?[

squ...@twcny.rr.com

Oct 30, 2005, 8:17:09 PM10/30/05
Same thing here in 13208 - error 23 and broken time synchronization
since yesterday - though no problems with the rollup. I even
reformatted clean today and still have the issue. A part of me knew it
was a waste a time, but I thought it was worth a shot.

I hope this gets fixed soon.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 31, 2005, 8:11:58 AM10/31/05
One user reports that the MCE Repair tool by Peter Rosser, which can be found here. Note, this is not a Microsoft supported tool.

http://blogs.msdn.com/peterrosser/archive/2005/10/21/483723.aspx

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

DPitts18

Oct 31, 2005, 10:35:45 AM10/31/05
My Guide suddenly won't download either. I've had it for over a year
with no problems before this. All of a sudden whenever I try and
download an updated guide it says "Guide information could not be
downloaded. You need to set up your internet connection to work with
media center. Select Set Up Internet Connection In Settings."

I did not change my connection before the problem started and I have
updated the settings with no luck, still not downloading.

hd...@raccah.org

Oct 31, 2005, 12:00:23 PM10/31/05
I tried this tool and it still does not work. I get error code 23. It
started Saturday night. Now I cannot record anything as I deleted the
files. Please help - I want to record digital shows tonight.

I have installed all rollups and it still does not work - any help
would be greatly appreciated!!!

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 31, 2005, 1:03:36 PM10/31/05
Another user said that they went through the setup and told it not to use the Guide, rebooted, and then went back through and told it to use the Guide. No more error 23 for them.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Tbone

Oct 31, 2005, 2:31:41 PM10/31/05
I just built my first media center this weekend and hooked it all up.
I am having the exact same issue with error 23. I have tried several
other nearby zip codes, even tried several different providers, such as
Dish, Directv, cable, none of them download for me. This is pretty
frustrating, sice i spent all weekend building this baby and then I
cant get it to work. I will try these tips posted here, hopefully it
will work. I will update the board if I have any luck.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 31, 2005, 2:31:43 PM10/31/05
One user reports that the MCE Repair tool by Peter Rosser, which can be found here, works to fix this issue. Note, this is not a Microsoft supported tool.

http://blogs.msdn.com/peterrosser/archive/2005/10/21/483723.aspx

Another user has reported the following worked for them.

2) Reboot

"Tobias" <Tob...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E7B0BACE-3871-4A7B...@microsoft.com...
>I am having the exact same issue and error messages. MCE was fine until 2
> days ago and since then I haven't been able to update the guide. I am on the
> east coast downloading data for a non-digital cable lineup. Are there any
> common threads to the people that are having issues? I built my own media
> center and it seems a lot of the other posters did as well. Could that be the
> key?

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 31, 2005, 3:36:38 PM10/31/05
Did you tell it not to use the Guide, reboot, and then go back through the setup?

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

hd...@raccah.org

Oct 31, 2005, 4:28:48 PM10/31/05
WOW that worked (tell it not to use the Guide, reboot, and then go back
through the setup) - way to go. Nuked my channel preferences - but who
cares! That is simple to fix. What could have gone wrong that caused
this?

Thanks again for the advice!!!

jesse

Oct 31, 2005, 4:32:18 PM10/31/05
Where is the MCE setup? Sorry for sounding noobish but I'm new to
media center. I'll try this tonight when I get home and see if it
helps. At this point I will try anything. Note: I did try the repair
tool and that didn't fix it either. Heres crossing my fingers.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 31, 2005, 4:50:14 PM10/31/05
No one knows, at this point. I would have to say that it was something with the database transactions that go on to retrieve the Guide data, and the shift in Daylight Savings Time. Whether its something to do with Update Rollup 2 or not, remains to be seen. I've got it installed on 3 machines here, and none had problems connecting to the guide data.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Jason Tsang

Oct 31, 2005, 5:14:58 PM10/31/05
From the MCE Start page.
Settings, General, Media Center Setup

You can start from 'Setup TV Signal' (that will set up your tv and then give
you the option of setting up your guide, which you want to do).

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"jesse" <jdn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

carl...@iname.com

Oct 31, 2005, 7:36:52 PM10/31/05
I was about to try two of the suggestions mentioned above but first I
tried a manual download once more - and this time it worked! And I
have done nothing at all to the system since the last 20-30 times I
tried to download the guide. So I think that points toward it ( at
least for some people) being an external problem as has been suggested.

Bill Joy

Oct 31, 2005, 8:27:10 PM10/31/05
After failing all day Saturday and Sunday, the first time I tried it today
(Monday evening) the download was successful. I was so excited that I did
it again!

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dk...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Scott

Oct 31, 2005, 8:39:03 PM10/31/05
Guide downloads working now, must have been a problem at the Guide server end.
--
HP zd7000 MCE2005

jesse

Oct 31, 2005, 8:47:04 PM10/31/05
Wow, first I'll say is my guide did not manual start working. Buuuutt I
tried the above suggestion with resetting up the MCE and choosing no guide.
Rebooted then set up again, and BANG it worked like a charm. Doug, Jason and
everyone else that offered suggestions thank you very much for your help.
Here is to replacing my set top box Moxie DVR with a MCE. Next up the xbox
extender.
Cheers!

Tbone

Oct 31, 2005, 10:02:07 PM10/31/05
I tried again at 6pm and no luck. tried the no guide, reboot and no
luck. i am going to try it again now, maybe something changed since
then.

Tbone

Oct 31, 2005, 10:19:43 PM10/31/05
well, i cant win for losing. It must be working again, because i get a
new error code now. Error 13. I did a little searching in the forums
and found this is a known issue with the latest firmware update for
Direcway users. I am a Direcway sat user, so I dont know what to do
now. Anyone have any suggestions?

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 31, 2005, 10:23:33 PM10/31/05
This is really beginning to make no sense, but to me, it probably points to some issue with the Daylight Savings Time change. And when it starts working may depend on what time zone you're in...................

But, that's just a WAG (wild a** guess).

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Tbone

Oct 31, 2005, 11:02:00 PM10/31/05
Yeah, this I found out is a huge mess for Direcway users. Anyone else
with Direcway can read here about what is going on
http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=38&MessageID=126718&TopicPage=6

i may just have to try SageTv or something else for now. There are
quite a few people on the forum listed above fighting with Direcway
about this since August, but they havent resolved it.

rs

Oct 31, 2005, 11:08:56 PM10/31/05
I just downloaded the guide successfully. I'm now convinced that it was
a problem with the source and not MCE. Although MCE could have been a
bit more friendly about what the problem was...

rs

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 31, 2005, 11:40:17 PM10/31/05
That's the way its beginning to appear (Daylight Savings Time change), but I'd like to know why.......

"rs" <rsa...@rcn.com> wrote in message news:1130646947.7...@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I just downloaded the guide successfully after rebooting my machine,
> although I don't think the reboot had anything to do with it. I suspect
> that it was somehow related to the timezone or to a bad download from
> the source.
>
> THanks for all the help.
>
> rs

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 31, 2005, 11:38:34 PM10/31/05
LOL!! Glad its working again. Just wish I knew what the bug was.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

squ...@twcny.rr.com

Oct 31, 2005, 11:51:48 PM10/31/05
Yes, mine is now working again as well. I tried it about 6:00PM EST
tonight and it downloaded the guide successfully after trying it a
couple times.

HollywoodMogul

Oct 31, 2005, 11:52:20 PM10/31/05

This problems exists exactly as described by the previous user.

It would seem this issue is caused by Microsoft Security updates that
disable the automatic ActiveX downloading in Internet Explorer. I
found the lack of the Guide to be a MAJOR frustration, however, a
little intelligent tinkering solved the issue for me (and I hope it's a
permanent solution). And this is the ONLY site worldwide that I
searched that offered assistance. There is nothing on Microsoft's
support site that i could find.

Go into C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users (or ComputerName)\Application
Data\Microsoft\eHome\EPG as the user below has.

Delete all previous Guides (?) represented by a long series of numbers
like registry entries (they are obvious). I had 5 of these and I
assume they were previous Guides.

Within 2 folders inside the EPG folder are 2 XML documents. Double
click to open each of these in Internet Explorer. The ActiveX Warning
will appear; the yellow warning bar at the top should be right clicked
and Unblock or Allow the ActiveX for BOTH of these XML documents
(download instructions).

Close out. Go into Media Center, Settings, TV, Guide (if my memory is
correct) and download the Guide. Voila ! Success.

This solved the problem initially and I hope it is permanent. I'm not
a computer expert, just a "Master Tinkerer".

Best of luck. jimto...@yahoo.com

--
HollywoodMogul
HollywoodMogul's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=10969

Tbone

Nov 1, 2005, 11:11:09 AM11/1/05
I am sure there is not or i would have seen it, but is there no way to
manually download the guide, and add it to the MCE computer. Or is it
a situation where if the PC doesnt download it, you dont get it?
Having the Direcway satellite is really a big problem I have been
reading with no end in site. Should I use a modem and dialup
connection to manually download the guide every 2 weeks? If that will
work, it wouldnt be that much of a pain, I could live with that.

Tbone

Nov 1, 2005, 11:35:24 AM11/1/05
Hey Doug,

I also noticed this post you were involved with a little while ago. I
tried this process and it didn't work, but I did not reboot my
DW6000.

What I did was go into my Internet Options (On MCE Machine) LAN
Settings and added Proxy Server and put in the IP 69.19.14.10 port
3128.

Is that what JLDunn and the others are doing? Or are they actually
changing something on the DW6000? Which I don't think can be done,
but wanted to make sure.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter/browse_thread/thread/4f15d487e4f2e83a/e59f0bc9c4e2f6f9?q=error+13&rnum=3#e59f0bc9c4e2f6f9

Thanks

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Nov 1, 2005, 1:11:28 PM11/1/05
I can't answer that, TBone. I just traced down the fact it was a proxy server that was run by DirectWay. While the Directway box may have a fixed IP address, all the traffic still has to go out through the internet and if they're routing everything through a proxy server, then you'll have to deal with them to find out why their latest firmware update broke it. One thread I did find seems to indicate that Directway IP addresses are automatically NAT'd by their own network. If your MCE machine is connected via a router to the DirectWay box, that could cause problems itself, since you're NAT'ing an address that's already been NAT'd.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Tbone

Nov 1, 2005, 1:25:51 PM11/1/05
Interesting. I do know that Direcway IP addresses are automatically
NAT'd by their own network. My MCE machine is connected through a Cisco
swith, which is what my Direcway also is connected to. I dont have a
way to try it straight connected to my MCE machine. Hmmm. dont know.
you think the dialup would work ok

Alfonso

Nov 1, 2005, 1:33:03 PM11/1/05
I have had trouble with downloading the guide since I got my new PC about a
week ago.

First, Media Center did not recognize my Internet Connection (though
everything else worked fine).

Yesterday I installed rollup 2. Now it recognizes my Internet, identifies my
signal provider, but when I start the downloading process Media Center just
hangs up. No error messages, nothing. When I open Task Manager it indicates
Media Center running, but actually it isn't doing anything (freezes up). I
have to force Media Center to close. Tried several times after rebooting but
nothing work, even if I left the downloading screen on for several hours.
Tried different postal codes (Canada). Tried without firewall. No clue.

johnhal

Nov 2, 2005, 1:07:05 AM11/2/05
Thought this may be of interest... The digital cable guide for my provider is
failing to download, the analog guide downloads fine.

Georgetown, Cogeco Cable Inc.
Georgetown, Cogeco Cable Inc. (Digital)

I've received the same errors that others have posted from eventvwr.msc.
The digital cable download was failing so tried analog listing and it worked,
then changed it back to digital listing and download failed again. Pointing
more towards download/file corruption on the guide providers side. If this
info saves one person from attempting a reinstall only to be disappointed...
it was worth it!

Let me know if this helps.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> [...]

> > look for any errors related to the Media Center Scheduler. Double click any
> > error entries and post back with the contents.
> >

> > --
> > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> > Display\Security
> > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> > http://www.dougknox.com
> > --------------------------------
> > Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> > --------------------------------
> > Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
> >

> > "Scott" <Sc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> System time and time zone fine, no McAfee. MCE has been working fine with
> >> this system for a long time. No changes have been made, Guide just

Tbone

Nov 2, 2005, 11:42:43 AM11/2/05
Well I wanted to let everyone here know there is hope. I havent been
able to get the guide to download at all, ever, and it was looking like
my Satellite internet was the problem after reading others problems
with Direcway. I even installed AOL and a modem last night to try
that, and still couldnt get it to work But thanks to a post by Doug,
after endless hours and my wife about to disownl me, i downloaded the
repair file http://pegasi.com/, ran the .exe and tried the guide again,
and it WORKED. I could not get the 0.2 file to work, I used the Repair
0.1 release.

That is the first time it worked for me at all, and it was definitely
because of the repair file. it is not a supported product so use at
your own risk, but I had no other options.

Thanks Doug, and I hope this will help some others.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Nov 2, 2005, 3:12:33 PM11/2/05
This is certainly a strange one. Some report that reconfiguring to not use the guide, reboot, then configure to use the guide works. Others say it just started working on its own. And others have had to resort to Peter's utility.............

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Tbone

Nov 2, 2005, 3:22:55 PM11/2/05
I just cant get my audio to work now. One thing after another. If you
have any suggestions, I have my post here

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter/browse_thread/thread/39139a9b6d0ade39/58c06300d1d0663d?hl=en

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Nov 2, 2005, 5:25:54 PM11/2/05
My LCD TV has a multitude of jacks, as well. Since the audio works with a normal set of speakers, I'd have to guess you're in the wrong jacks on the TV. The forum post you reference for the TV requires a logon.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

leebartley

Nov 3, 2005, 12:30:57 PM11/3/05
HollywoodMogul You should make a new post so everyone can see your advice.
I had this problem of not being able to download the guide for sometime and
with your expertise it work great...
Thanks for your input.
Lee

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Nov 3, 2005, 12:54:15 PM11/3/05
Unfortunately, Lee, this isn't a universal fix. Other users have had to configure MCE to not use the guide, reboot and then configure it to use the guide. Others have just let it be for a day or two and had it start working. Granted, anything that helps anyone is of value, and the contributions are greatly appreciated.

Microsoft is aware of the issue and is working to address it as quickly as possible.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

W.@discussions.microsoft.com Brandon W.

Nov 4, 2005, 6:18:04 PM11/4/05
I also have the same problem. I have not downloaded the roll-up 2 so I dont
think that's the issue. When people are talking about a clean install, do
they mean just reinstalling media center, or all of windows? Is there any way
to do just media center. Also, have there been any updates on this problem?
Just to let you know, I started having this problem a while before the time
change, so I dont think it's that either.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Nov 5, 2005, 12:31:56 AM11/5/05
No, there is no way to just reinstall the Media Center components, that I'm aware of.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

collegette@discussions.microsoft.com Frustrated collegette

Nov 10, 2005, 10:09:02 PM11/10/05
Okay, apparently I'm late to the party but for the last week my Guide has
failed to download for the same reason as the guy below. I cruised through
all the suggestion - fiddled with my time, ran the non-Microsoft repair tool,
tried deleting the EPG folders and I would tell it not to use the Guide BUT
WHEN I HIT SETTINGS, GENERAL, THERE IS NO MCE SETUP! I tried to re-setup the
TV connection, but then the Media Center will freeze everytime I hit the
finish button after telling it not to configure the Guide! (Same thing
happens when I try to re-setup the Internet connection.)
The end result: my MCE now causes the screen to flicker black if/when I try
to update the Guide and then automatically cancels the attempt.
I'm at the end of my rope and no computer fiddling expert. What should/can I
do?

"DPitts18" wrote:

> My Guide suddenly won't download either. I've had it for over a year
> with no problems before this. All of a sudden whenever I try and
> download an updated guide it says "Guide information could not be
> downloaded. You need to set up your internet connection to work with
> media center. Select Set Up Internet Connection In Settings."
>
> I did not change my connection before the problem started and I have
> updated the settings with no luck, still not downloading.

Frustrated collegette

Nov 10, 2005, 11:06:01 PM11/10/05

Tbone

Nov 16, 2005, 10:23:58 AM11/16/05
Well Doug, I have issues again. The other night we had some bad
weather and had a power surge. When i powered my Media Center back up,

it would not load correctly and was just a bunch of colos, hard to
explain but it looked like a kaleidescope or something. People I
talked to said it sounded like the tuner card was fried and to try to
remove and put in another PCI slot. So i did that, and stepped through

the whole configuration again, and it works fine now. All except for
the %@!$@ error 23 again. The last time i was able to cure this by
running the MCE Repair file, and i have done that, cleared out the EPG
folder of previous downloads, all the usual stuff, and I cant get it to

download again. Dont know what the heck to do now. It was all working
so good, and now I am back to square one.

swildermuth

Dec 7, 2005, 10:23:02 PM12/7/05
FYI...I had the download working for a long time then it just stopped...seems
I had disabled the BITS Service (Background download service). D'oh!

himshah

Feb 14, 2006, 9:24:27 PM2/14/06
Hi Doug:
I know it is an old issue but I am getting it. I have folllowing information
form event viewer
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9
Date: 2/14/2006
Time: 9:14:24 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HRS
The time provider 'NtpClient' returned an error when notified of a time
jump. The error will be ignored. The error was: The handle is invalid.
(0x80070006)

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7036
Date: 2/14/2006
Time: 9:04:51 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HRS
The WMI Performance Adapter service entered the stopped state.

Date: 2/14/2006
Time: 9:08:40 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HRS

Event Info: Unexpected error during load:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Class not registered
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32
errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
at System.EnterpriseServices.Thunk.Proxy.CoCreateObject(Type serverType,
Boolean bQuerySCInfo, Boolean& bIsAnotherProcess, String& uri)
at
System.EnterpriseServices.ServicedComponentProxyAttribute.CreateInstance(Type
serverType)
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Activation.ActivationServices.IsCurrentContextOK(Type
serverType, Object[] props, Boolean bNewObj)
at Microsoft.Ehome.Epg.Database.SqlLiteConnection.BeginTransaction()
at Microsoft.Ehome.Epg.Database.GuideDbConnection.BeginTransaction(String
strTransactionName)
at Microsoft.Ehome.Epg.Loader.EPGLoader.EndTransaction()

at Microsoft.Ehome.Epg.Loader.Xml.GuideXmlLoader.Run(Object[] arrArgs)
at Microsoft.Ehome.Epg.Loader.GuideLoadManager.LoadImp()
Process: DefaultDomain
Object Name: Media Center Guide

Data:
0000: b7 4d df 04 25 e0 b4 2f ·Mß.%à´/
0008: cd 7f e0 dc 08 0f a8 e9 Í àÜ..¨é
0010: b6 b1 1a c8 cc 69 27 22 ¶±.ÈÌi'"
0018: 73 fc cd cc 0a 32 e0 e4 süÍÌ.2àä
0020: 1d 99 39 48 99 16 04 05 .™9H™...
0028: 20 b9 8c 4f 13 24 32 37 ¹ŒO.$27
0030: f1 ef b2 29 96 1b cd b7 ñï²)–.Í·
0038: 1b 52 16 e5 bd c6 c2 78 .R.å½ÆÂx
0040: bd ea 4f 77 ac 00 4d 27 ½êOw¬.M'
0048: be 96 dd f2 61 46 6b 81 ¾–ÝòaFk
0050: 1e c7 f9 62 82 13 5f 95 .Çùb‚._•
0058: bd 16 34 8a c3 e9 0f 5d ½.4ŠÃé.]
0060: d1 be 36 bb 2a ae 37 cf Ѿ6»*®7Ï
0068: aa 9d 6b 84 6a b0 00 e7 ª k„j°.ç
0070: 35 6f 3c 06 00 07 38 a6 5o<...8¦
0078: 57 ec 15 44 72 6d b6 8f Wì.Drm¶

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> [...]

> >> But the General consensus was that clean installs will yield the best results, at this time.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> >> http://www.dougknox.com
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.

Ripley

Oct 17, 2006, 5:02:02 PM10/17/06
Hi

I've tried running this event process, and there are hundreds of guide
errors. I'm confused as a lot of the dates are in 2011!

Jason Tsang

Oct 17, 2006, 9:23:31 PM10/17/06
Is your system time/date/timezone set correctly?

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Read my blog for the latest in Media Center topics
(and other topics that interest me)
http://jtsang.blogspot.com

More information by me
http://jtsang.mvps.org
http://www.classicsunveiled.com

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Ripley" <Rip...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ripley

Oct 29, 2006, 8:06:01 AM10/29/06
Hi

I've checked and it was out by a few days, nothing like 2011 though!! I've
set it to the exact date, cleared the application log, and rebooted. There
are errors showing for Media Centre Receiver, but it just shows as error
zero, and says it can't display any information about it. It suggests using
/AUXSOURCE = flag to try and get more information.