XP Media Center Compatability

1 view

MileHighMatt

Mar 16, 2005, 12:53:02 PM3/16/05
I am in the process of building a home studio and I have XP Media Center.

Most of the system requirements for hardware and software list XP Home and
XP Pro.

I have been getting mixed answers from folks regarding whether XP Media is
supported. Dell contends that Media Center is esentially XP Pro with some
add-ons while many of the audio hardware/software manufacturers contend that
XP Media is a whole other beast and won't work.

Does anyone have any unique insight into this?

I would like to run everything through my current OS but am afraid I may
have to buy vanilla XP and set up a dual boot system.

Thanks for any help.

Dan

Mar 16, 2005, 1:05:48 PM3/16/05
I don't know about unique insight, but here's Microsoft's "Designed for
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Logo Partner List":
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/partners/dfw/partnerlisting.mspx

HillBillyBuddhist

Mar 16, 2005, 1:28:23 PM3/16/05

"MileHighMatt" <MileHi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

At boot, and until the user invokes some media center component, Windows
Media Center Edition is functionally indistinguishable Windows XP
professional and as such can perform any task a Windows XP Professional
computer could. (with the exception of being able to join a domain)

There are some additional background processes.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

MileHighMatt

Mar 16, 2005, 1:37:02 PM3/16/05
Thanks HillBillyBuddhist:

I actually just spoke with MSTechSupport and they said exactly the same
thing. My questions is, at boot, how do avoid invoking a Media Center
Component? Do I have to MSCONFIG and disable all processes related to Media
Center?

Michael Earls

Mar 16, 2005, 3:21:12 PM3/16/05
If you did that, then you wouldn't have MCE. Why do you want MCE?

Also, aside from the scheduler and a few others, the Media Center
"experience" is actually just an executable.

--
Michael Earls
The Cerebral Kitchen

"MileHighMatt" <MileHi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

MileHighMatt

Mar 16, 2005, 4:11:04 PM3/16/05
I do have MCE; I had it installed by Dell becasue I want the features of
MCE. However, I also purchased my computer to run ProTools 6.7 with an MBOX
and found some fine print on their site that says they do dot support MCE.
However, according to Microsoft, MCE is Pro, with the media add-on and
without the domian capability. So my question is... will ProTools work if I
diabale media center while using it, if so... how do I diable it properly...
because if it won't work I have to partiction my drive and pay another $200
for Win XP Home.

HillBillyBuddhist

Mar 16, 2005, 4:30:36 PM3/16/05
----------------answers inline-------------------

"MileHighMatt" <MileHi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Thanks HillBillyBuddhist:
>
> I actually just spoke with MSTechSupport and they said exactly the same
> thing.

>My questions is, at boot, how do avoid invoking a Media Center
> Component?

The same way you would, for instance "avoid invoking Word Perfect." Don't
click the icon that starts it.

>Do I have to MSCONFIG and disable all processes related to Media
> Center?

As to a process or service that runs by default in Media Center Edition that
conflicts with your ProTools 6.7 you would have to ask that programs vendor.

Startup programs and services are managed in Media Center Edition in the
same fashion as other versions of Windows XP.

Jeff Griffin

Mar 16, 2005, 5:03:30 PM3/16/05
It should work fine but if it does not then you can press Ctrl + Alt + Del
to bring up the task manager and end all the eh* processes.

Jeff Griffin
Windows XP Media Center Edition MVP
www.thegreenbutton.com

"MileHighMatt" <MileHi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

f...@bar.com

Mar 17, 2005, 6:51:59 PM3/17/05
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:28:23 -0500, "HillBillyBuddhist"
<hillbill...@shoesgmail.com> wrote:

>"MileHighMatt" <MileHi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am in the process of building a home studio and I have XP Media Center.
>>
>> Most of the system requirements for hardware and software list XP Home and
>> XP Pro.
>>
>> I have been getting mixed answers from folks regarding whether XP Media is
>> supported. Dell contends that Media Center is esentially XP Pro with some
>> add-ons while many of the audio hardware/software manufacturers contend
>> that
>> XP Media is a whole other beast and won't work.
>>
>> Does anyone have any unique insight into this?
>>
>> I would like to run everything through my current OS but am afraid I may
>> have to buy vanilla XP and set up a dual boot system.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>
>At boot, and until the user invokes some media center component, Windows
>Media Center Edition is functionally indistinguishable Windows XP
>professional and as such can perform any task a Windows XP Professional
>computer could. (with the exception of being able to join a domain)

Right - it can't do this once it's installed. I find this _very_
annoying, because my domain structure has changed since I installed
MCE2005, and I want to remove a machine from X domain and then join Y
domain. :(