RE: Code 3 error tracked down

Chris

Oct 7, 2005, 7:17:12 AM10/7/05
I was having a similar problem and contacted McAfee who informed me that
their products are NOT COMPATIBLE with MCE 2005. I found this funny because
Dell shipped my new computer with McAfee and MCE2005. Below is the actual
chat session with the McAfee tech support:

Please wait while we find a technician to assist you...
You have been connected to Von Kildare.

Von Kildare: Chris, thank you for contacting McAfee Online Support Center.
How can I assist you with your McAfee software today?

Chris: Since a McAfee update a few days ago, my Windows XP Media Center 2005
logs a "code 3" error when I attempt to record a tv show. I checked on
Microsoft's forums and others have reported the same problem. What do I do to
rollback the latest McAfee update?

Von Kildare: No McAfee products are comptible with Windows XP media center.
Von Kildare: Sorry, compatible.

Von Kildare: They will not work with this version of Windows XP.

Chris: So the best solution is using an alternative antivirus software?

Von Kildare: It depends on you.

Chris: Why does Dell use McAfee with their Win XP MCE2005 computers?

Von Kildare: I do not know that.

Chris: Thanks, I will remove McAfee since I am still in my 30 day trial and
let Dell know that they should not be using McAfee with their Win XP MCE2005
systems.

Von Kildare: Your reference number for this chat session is 15615282.

"Jeff" wrote:

> I had a problem with Media Center 2005. When I played recorded shows they
> either froze or I got a Code 3 error after they started playing. This
> happened after I got a McAfee update to their privacy service 3 days ago. I
> did a system restore to that point and Media Center worked fine. My
> recommendation is to enable Manual updates to McAfee and do not install the
> update to Privacy Service until McAfee works out the issues. I logged a
> ticket file with them so they shoudl be aware of it. My guess is that and
> updated file conflicted with a driver file in Media Center when it tried to
> access the internet for updated program guides.

Rach

Oct 7, 2005, 8:23:21 AM10/7/05
Gosh, I'm glad I read that! I am a devoted McAfee user and was about to buy
it for my MCE machine.

Thanks for letting us know.

Rach
"Chris" <Ch...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Chris

Oct 7, 2005, 10:36:04 AM10/7/05
You're welcome. Actually I have been a Norton user for years but since my
new system came with McAfee I decided to give it a try. Turns out, I really
like McAfee much better than Norton. I was really disappointed to hear that
it does not support MCE 2005. Hopefully Norton does. I will be checking
today.

STIK

Oct 7, 2005, 6:38:33 PM10/7/05
Comcast high-speed users can get the McAfee suite for free so that's how I
got into trouble with my MC.

I also made the mistake of doing the system restore before changing the
update setting so I kept getting errors and McAfee locked me out of the
settings. Meanwhile it was still trying to install the update as soon as I
rebooted each time.

Finally just uninstalled all three programs and everything works fine.

--
Steve

Sandie

Oct 8, 2005, 1:31:06 AM10/8/05
I was having the same problem and Dell could not figure it out, so when I
read your posts, I did a system restore to before the McAfee update and now
Media Center is working fine, but McAfee is not. I just bought the system
from Dell last week and paid extra for McAfee. McAfee also told me that they
don't support Media Center. I would like to exchange this program to Dell for
another. Does anyone know if Norton supports Media Center?

Sandie

Jaime

Oct 8, 2005, 11:06:36 AM10/8/05
Don't know about Norton, I am running the one you can download from MS and
get a free year of updates and it works with no trouble. The download seem
much more efficient (download time-wise) than McAfee, which is what I have
on my other system.
--
James
Orlando (Goofy says "Hey!"), FL

"Sandie" <San...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ochoa@discussions.microsoft.com Manuel Ochoa

Oct 14, 2005, 1:30:02 PM10/14/05
Uninstall Privacy Service, it worked for me.

Ed

Oct 18, 2005, 9:54:05 AM10/18/05
How do you uninstall Privacy Service? I have tried disabling it, but the
problem persists. I have also tried disabling all of McAfee's services, but
that didn't resolve the problem either.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 18, 2005, 3:36:37 PM10/18/05
Look in Add/Remove Programs.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

smokeymoss1

Oct 22, 2005, 5:59:01 PM10/22/05
I'm also having problems with McAfee not supporting MCE. Should I throw away
the 8mos.left on my 15mo. subscription that came with my new Dell?
--
smokey1

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Oct 22, 2005, 7:08:06 PM10/22/05
No, just uninstall the Privacy Service, for now. There are people working to get this resolved.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

ChrisF1066

Dec 26, 2005, 6:07:02 PM12/26/05
I've uninstalled the McAfee Privacy Service. However, I continue to receive
the Code 3 error. Are there any other things that I can try?