Re: JPEG pictures do not display in WIN XP media center

CWatters

Jun 11, 2005, 4:48:59 AM6/11/05

"Pshackle" <Psha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1247689B-175D-44F9...@microsoft.com...
> I have a brand new DELL DIMENSION 8400 with WIN XP media center. Media
center
> will display .gif and .bmp pictures only, not .JPEG files. Windows picture
> and fax viewer displays these files fine, as does Adobe Photoshop. Media
> center works as advertised for TV, DVD and recordings. I have twice
reloaded
> windows and find this effect sems quite consistent. I have many Gigabytes
of
> pictures. Mysteriously, media center will show folders with sample
pictures
> on them but then when you try to open them it declares the folder to be
empty
> even when it is stuffed full of JPEG pictures. Has anybody else had this
> problem?
> .......Pete

Is this the same problem... Op found solution at the end.
http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=41&MessageID=112257

Pshackle

Jun 12, 2005, 3:39:02 AM6/12/05
CWatters made a really good set of suggestions here, but intriguingly none of
them helped. The discussion previously referred to had XP itself unable to
read the jpg files. In my case explorer reads the files fine and windows
picture and fax viewer works great. If I right click on a jpg picture, and
select "open with media center" then media center opens up and declares the
folder to be empty of valid pictures, unless the picture is a .gif or a .bmp.
Trying to be creative here, my 6GB of pictures was imported from my previous
WIN ME machine. In this process the native WIN XP "my pictures" folder was
probably overwritten or deleted to be replaced by the imported "my pictures"
This might have caused a complication but I dont know how to check this or do
anything about it. All the jpg variations are correctly registered in WIN XP.
--
.......Pete

CWatters

Jun 12, 2005, 5:39:45 AM6/12/05

> CWatters made a really good set of suggestions here, but intriguingly none
of
> them helped. The discussion previously referred to had XP itself unable to
> read the jpg files. In my case explorer reads the files fine and windows
> picture and fax viewer works great. If I right click on a jpg picture, and
> select "open with media center" then media center opens up and declares
the
> folder to be empty of valid pictures, unless the picture is a .gif or a
.bmp.
> Trying to be creative here, my 6GB of pictures was imported from my
previous
> WIN ME machine. In this process the native WIN XP "my pictures" folder was
> probably overwritten or deleted to be replaced by the imported "my
pictures"
> This might have caused a complication but I dont know how to check this or
do
> anything about it. All the jpg variations are correctly registered in WIN
XP.

Might be worth getting Windows to re-create the My Pictures folder. Not
quite sure how to do this but I think windows will do it automatically if
you delete the existing one. I think I'd try moving the pictures to a new
folder then deleting "My Pictures" and see if windows recreates it. Then
move the pictures back. Might be worth checking on the web to see if there
is a way to force Windows to recreate the My Pictures folder incase it
doesn't do so automatically.

Pshackle

Jun 12, 2005, 2:56:02 PM6/12/05
I am impressed by the understanding and ingenuity of CWatters. I copied my
pictures folder to a new one, then deleted the old one and let WIN XP regrow
a new pictures folder. Then I put just one picture in it, in a folder. I
opened Media Center and deleted all folders in the pictures records, then
added back just the one existing folder. I then tried to open it and Media
center still reported back that the folder was empty.

Since I have an absolutely stock Dell PC with preinstalled Media center, and
I am trying to view jpg pictures which are amongst the commonest types, I
suspect that what is happening to me here should happen to most people.
Presumably there must be something different about my installation, if media
center really can open jpgs for other people. Setting the properties of a
jpg picture to "open with media center" just produces the result of a picture
that will not open at all, unless you specify some other program. One clue
may be that sometimes the thumbnails on the exterior of the folders do show
up in the folder view of media center. But nothing shows up inside the
folder. I rerally appreciate the interest and encouragement of CWatters in
this matter.

Another clue might be that when I first turned on the computer a bunch of
demonstration pictures showed up in media center, which I deleted without a
moment's thought. If I had realized that this problem was going to happen I
would have taken a close look at their nature and location. I wonder if there
could be something special about the JPG encoding that Media Center will
accept. I have trtied testing one scan and 3 scan images, without result.

.......Pete

"CWatters" wrote:

> "Pshackle" <Psha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > CWatters made a really good set of suggestions here, but intriguingly none
> of
> > them helped. The discussion previously referred to had XP itself unable to
> > read the jpg files. In my case explorer reads the files fine and windows
> > picture and fax viewer works great. If I right click on a jpg picture, and
> > select "open with media center" then media center opens up and declares
> the
> > folder to be empty of valid pictures, unless the picture is a .gif or a

> ..bmp.

CWatters

Jun 13, 2005, 4:33:48 AM6/13/05

> I am impressed by the understanding and ingenuity of CWatters.

Thanks but it seems we ain't fixed it yet!

> Since I have an absolutely stock Dell PC with preinstalled Media center,
and
> I am trying to view jpg pictures which are amongst the commonest types, I
> suspect that what is happening to me here should happen to most people.

I couldn't see any similar posts using Google.

Have you tried a .jpg file from another source?

Do these files have a .jpg or a .jpeg extension?

Running out of ideas here.

Colin

Pshackle

Jun 13, 2005, 8:37:11 AM6/13/05
Nearly all of my collection are .jpg. I have a small scattering of .bmp and
.gif which are only highlighted by showing up in MC.
--
.......Pete

Pshackle

Jun 13, 2005, 8:40:04 AM6/13/05
Pictures straight from a digital camera behave the same way, as do pictures
from 2 veersions of photoshop and pictures from 2 scanners.
--
.......Pete

Brian

Jun 13, 2005, 9:15:25 AM6/13/05
"Pshackle" <Psha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> I have a brand new DELL DIMENSION 8400 with WIN XP media center. Media
center
> will display .gif and .bmp pictures only, not .JPEG files.

Given that this problem seems to be a sticky one, the other suggestion I
would make is to call Dell. Being as its a new system, they should give you
free support and they have much deeper resources to solve this one. I
wouldn't expect an answer right away though.

Brian

Dana Cline - MVP

Jun 13, 2005, 12:12:34 PM6/13/05
Instead of copying the jpgs into the My Pictures folder, put them in a
folder by some other name, either on C or D (i.e., C:\Photos). Then tell
Media Center to look there. If that works, then good. If not, then the only
thing I can think of is to look at their EXIF headers (within the jpg file)
to see how a bad one is different from one that works. Do _any_ of them
work?

Dana Cline - MVP

"Pshackle" <Psha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Pshackle

Jun 13, 2005, 11:31:03 PM6/13/05
Colin, Brian and Dana:

I tried Dana's suggestion and created a new folder in C:\, called pictures.
I put a jpg in there and added the folder to media player, which declared the
folder to be empty. I checked that no jpg in my whole computer shows up in
MC, only .bmp and .gif files which come through perfectly. So I cannot check
the difference between functional and non functional files.

Thank you so much for your caring and attempts to solve this riddle. I
actually came here after Dell said that they only provide hardware support
and are not able to fix software. They do offer to help in return for a
subscription, which I have declined. I will continue to work on this as a
hobby and if it ever gets solved I will post something on this bulletin board
to help other people. As I remarked earlier, I have such a classic set up
that it is hard to imagine others are not seeing the same thing, or will not
see it in the future.
--
.......Pete

Dana Cline - MVP

Jun 14, 2005, 9:09:06 AM6/14/05
So JPGs will display in the fax viewer (and presumably in Paint?) but not in
Media Center? I'm stumped. If they didn't display anywhere at all, I'd
assume the jpg filter/converter was corrupt or missing, but if they display
one place they should display everywhere. The only thing I can suggest is
get back to Dell and raise heck. They'll probably tell you to nuke and
restore the system.

Dana Cline - MVP

"Pshackle" <Psha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Pshackle

Jun 15, 2005, 12:47:07 AM6/15/05
Being the type who gets hooked by a good problem, I researched around a bit
and came up with this reference:

http://www.thenears.com/index.php?p=85

This describes the exact problem I have which is apparently well known in
some circles.

It is seemingly caused by an incompatibility between Media Center and Adobe
Photoshop 7 and Office 2003, both of which I have installed on my computer.

The symptom is that when you examine the registry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT to look
at the file type extension that is causing trouble (usually jpg) you find
that the Perceived type property is either incorrect or missing. In the
article Mr Nears describes how to edit the registry key property if it is
incorrect. In my case it is plain missing for the .jpg extension, but Nears
does not mention how to insert the missing info in this case. Probably to an
XP hotshot this is trivial, but right now it is not obvious to me. Can any
of you Gurus out there write out a sequence of registry edits to put back the
missing "perceived type = image" for me?
--
.......Pete

Dana Cline - MVP

Jun 15, 2005, 10:24:09 AM6/15/05
Sure...run Regedit. Expand HkeyClassesRoot. Scroll down and click on JPG. If
there's no "PerceivedType" on the right, then right-click on the JPG entry
(on the left) and select New / String Value. You'll then enter
"PerceivedType" and hit return. Then right-click on PerceivedType (on the
right) and select Modify. In the resulting dialog, enter "image". Then you
may want to repeat the process with the entry above JPG, JPEG.

Dana Cline - MVP

"Pshackle" <Psha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Pshackle

Jun 16, 2005, 11:02:06 AM6/16/05
IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!

It might be worth the time of somebody to write all this up concisely and
then post it so as to be easy to find. There must be a hundred thousand
people out there who have Windows media center in the same installation as
Photoshop and Office 2003. Probably most of them just doubt that Media center
can even handle .jpg pictures, as did I for a while. Thank you everybody who
contributed their brain cells to solving this for me!

Dana Cline - MVP

Jun 16, 2005, 1:54:02 PM6/16/05
Agreed...I'll write it up as an FAQ entry on my web site at
www.mediacenterstuff.com.

Dana Cline - MVP

"Pshackle" <Psha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Brian

Jun 17, 2005, 11:09:27 AM6/17/05
"Pshackle" <Psha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> It might be worth the time of somebody to write all this up concisely and
> then post it so as to be easy to find.

This thread will also be archived on google. So if you can think of any
other key words or phrases that might help others searching for this info in
the future, feel free to add them.

Brian

CWatters

Jun 18, 2005, 7:54:12 AM6/18/05

"Dana Cline - MVP" <dcl...@scriptpro.com> wrote in message

> Agreed...I'll write it up as an FAQ entry on my web site at
> www.mediacenterstuff.com.
>
> Dana Cline - MVP

Well done Dana!

Andy8400

Aug 14, 2005, 2:11:02 PM8/14/05

Andy8400

Aug 14, 2005, 2:23:03 PM8/14/05

"Brian" wrote:

>Dana, If you are still monitoring this post I need to thank you. My "PerceivedType" had inserted the phrase "PV8" before "images" which I deleted, leaving "images". Everything works perfectly now. HP tried hard but wasn't close, finally giving up and suggested a restoration which would have been unacceptable at this point. The culprit must have been Office 2003, as suggested above. I am not computer illiterate but this was beyond me.

So... thanks again,
Andy (andy...@sbcglobal.net)

PS What was interesting was that any photo with the extension "jpeg" (two
out of hundreds) did present themselves. No other format, including of
course, "jpg" and I tried many.

mouse

Dec 8, 2005, 5:49:03 PM12/8/05
Pete:
I have the exact same problem with a new Dell 5100 and tech support has been
unwilling to help due to it being a software problem. I too get empty folders
with no jpeg pictures, yet I can view them in Finepix Viewer (came with my
camera) and the My Pictures file. I am contacting the CEO of Dell to see if
he can intervene, otherwise the computer is of little use to me without the
capablity of using it as an entertainment center. In addition, Media Center
says that there is "no tuner" and I cannot watch live TV. Did you ever get
your problem resolved?

Ed Rich [MSFT]

Dec 8, 2005, 7:26:09 PM12/8/05
Regarding the "no tuner" and cannot watch live TV, assuming you have a TV
tuner in the PC (not all MCE systems ship with a tuner installed) and the
correct driver is loaded (no yellow bangs in Device Manager) , you should
only need to go to Setting --> TV --> Setup TV Signal and it should walk you
thru the wizard. Make sure you have an active TV feed coming into the TV
tuner first.

--
Ed Rich [MSFT]
edr...@online.microsoft.com

"mouse" <mo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Dana Cline - MVP

Dec 9, 2005, 9:19:35 AM12/9/05
Take a look at www.mediacenterstuff.com/faqs.htm - there's one there
relating to JPG files that might be applicable...

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

AS

Mar 3, 2006, 2:37:27 PM3/3/06
I was able to get this to work but ONLY if I have booted up the WIndows XP MC
machine, logged into Windows and then went into Media Center.

If use my "Media Direct" button (I'm on a Dell XPS M14) without booting up
the machine (and that is the point of me buying this machine) the photos
still do not show up.

I have the same issue with iTunes music files - they never show up. I have
spent hours with Dell XPS support and they are stumped. This is the most
aggravating problem and I just can't find a solution anywhere.

Unknown

Apr 22, 2006, 2:26:01 AM4/22/06
Hello everyone,
I bought a brand new Dell XPS gen 5 computer a few months ago.
I was told by Dell sales that the Media centre edition was amazing and that
I should get it. I figured okay $50 Can is not that much. For months now I
have tried to figure why my folders that are packed with 100's of jpgs DO NOT
WANT TO SHOW when I know they are there. It is driving me crazy. The folder
shows but when I say show Media Centre says the folders are empty. The jps
are not hidden or archived etc. Exactly like the thread I see posted here by
Pete
I thought that I may need to use the remote -( which I don't have) to teach
MEDIA CENTRE the location of the photos. Today, Dell tech support told me
that I need to buy the TV tuner card , remote and all the related hardware to
view my pictures in Media centre. But at Dell support -- 4 different techs
were not sure on that one.
Can anyone help me out on this one.
If it is true that I need the TV tuner card and remote +cabling why does
DELL not say this in the beginning when they promote the Media edition
There is some info in MEDIA CENTRE help?? that says the remote should be
used to add pictures to media centre, like the remote links folders.
I appologize fo the lengh of this thread , I am new here but this is really
making me crazy and Dell is not much help.Thank You

Dana Cline - MVP

Apr 22, 2006, 12:53:26 PM4/22/06
From the FAQ at www.MediaCenterStuff.com -

Q: My JPG images will not display. How do I fix that?

A: This seems to be a common problem with systems that have Office and/or
PhotoShop. You can fix it easily...

Run REGEDIT from the Start/Run dialog.
Expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, scroll down to JPG and JPEG entries.
Click on JPG or JPEG entry - on the right should be an entry for
PerceivedType.
That entry should say "image".
If it's not there, add it by right-clicking on JPG or JPEG and selecting
New/String Value.
Enter "PerceivedType", then press Enter.
Double-click on PerceivedType, then in the dialog enter "image".

Make sure you check both JPG and JPEG - you may need to fix both.

Hopefully that'll fix it...

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

"normsu...@gmail.com"
<normsu...@gmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

saby

Apr 27, 2006, 12:21:02 AM4/27/06
helo....this message has helped one of my problems :D
but i'm still stuck with video clips on my pc that i can only watch with
windows media player.....media center won't recognize them....
it's an hour i've been searching the net for an answer, but i can't find
it....
i had found once on a web site, the same solution that u gave for the pictures
but they gave it for video's (too bad my video's were working good bak then,
didnt add the web site to my favorites and i cant find it anymore)
so im wondering and hoping really hard that you can help me out

thx a lot
saby

saby

Apr 27, 2006, 12:40:03 AM4/27/06
sorry ...i forgot to mention something important....
i did the same thing that you said for the pictures, but i went into the mpg
folder and added the PerceivedType, i wrote video instead of picture.....it
helped for some video's but i still have some that wont show up on media
center.... which other folder to i need to go into ??

thx again
saby

Wiry

Apr 28, 2006, 12:32:03 PM4/28/06
I found that if you put your videos in this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Videos

....they will show up in Media Center. That is where all the sample videos
are. I found that there was no way to get them to show up unless I put them
into that shared folder (or a copy of them, at least). This should really be
documented in the manual or least on the support site (which it isn't -
thanks God for MVPs...)

And just a comment: The entire isssue with Photoshop causing all these
problems should really be addressed by Dell. Users should not have to be
going into the registry to fix things. Many people are wary of doing this and
for good reason - you can really mess things up for yourself. I spent hours
onthe phone with an XPS tech support person who knew nothing about this issue
- he was an expert but completely in the dark about this. I told him to go to
the boards and search a bit - -educating himself and his coworkers seems like
a really good idea. And even when I uninstalled Photoshop, I still had the
problem and was not willing to go into the registry again for fear of really
screwing things up. And so...because of issues I had dealing with the
registry, I had to return my original system and get a brand new one, on
which I will not install Photoshop (which is ridiculous, really). I
appreciate Dell's willingess to try and help and then give me a brand new
system, but with all the postings about this issue, the company should take a
good hard look at the system (or at least at the support and Help it
provides).
--
- Wiry in Denver

jryn...@gmail.com

May 1, 2006, 3:00:56 AM5/1/06
I had the exact same problem with my brand new HP dv8230us notebook
bought 4/25/2006. I alos have Photoshop CS and MS Office installed. I
follewed the instructions for the Registry Edit and after a Windows
restart everything worked perfectly! Thank you so much. Spent hours on
line with HP Tech support and they were helpless.

I also have the same problem with my video as the guy above and have
not found a solution. My wmv files won't even play in Windows Media
Player or Media Center. However, the sample WMV files that came with
MCE/computer play just fine.

Thanks again!

Dana Cline - MVP

May 8, 2006, 10:37:22 AM5/8/06
Try the My Movies add-in. Should be a link on my Links page at
www.MediaCenterStuff.com.

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

<jryn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

BMS

Jul 19, 2006, 9:55:02 PM7/19/06
Thank you, Dana...

What a great tip on getting jpgs to display in MCE!! After four months of
trying to figure out what I had done to screw up my brand new Vaio notebook
that I bought for use at trial and in seminars/marketing presentations, I
just spent the entire afternoon (literally) with Sony support, and they were
telling me it is their experience that MCE will not display image files from
anywhere except the physical hard drive of the computer where MCE is
installed, and then only in specific folders, and jpg ONLY if it is the right
"type" of jpg. What idiots.

I used your tip on regedit (for some reason, there was NO definition of
perceived type for jpg files), and voila! I can suddenly see my jpg files --
not only on my physical hard drives on the MCE computer, but also from my
network drives -- which is the wholoe damned reason I bought the system (Sony
Vaio VGN-AX580G) in the first place. It happens that many trial courts in
California require digital exhibits (such as scanned images and powerpoint
presentations) to be deposited into and accessed from a central (network)
archive maintained by the Court for use at trial (in order to avoid
inadmissible evidence getting in front of the jury "inadvertently").

Thanks a million!! You truly are an MCE MVP in my book, Dana!

Brian (Oakland/SF California)

spt...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2006, 10:42:42 PM7/23/06
I have a weird JPG related problem with my sisters Dell with Windows
Media Center. When we view a list of JPG files that we searched
through explorer and scroll down the window it closes! Then when I
actually try to view the JPGs through ACDSee they are VERY slow. On my
older slower Dell I can zip right through them.

Could this be because they are JPGs? I will try the soulution above as
well.

MCEidiot

Aug 25, 2006, 1:33:02 AM8/25/06
I have a same problem posted in here. I checked my PersivedType and showed me
image. According to what you all posted in here, it should work fine. But I
still cannot see the pictures at all except 'png' format.

jan

Sep 25, 2008, 3:46:08 PM9/25/08
hi
i am having problems as well , i use paint shop programe and i try to save
previews and i cant save as a jpeg , just a BMP which is huge ,
i dont know how to fix it , and not keep at going into the Reg , also i dont
have a clue where to start , but this is driving me nuts , i have windows XP