Media Center Guide Error - Code: 33

angieangie

Dec 17, 2005, 1:20:56 PM12/17/05
Hello,

I've read through the old posts on this topic and have tried everything
suggested. The Error Code 33 is not allowing Media Center to download
the latest updates to the Guide.

I've checked the time/date settings and everything is correct. So is
the time zone. One strange thing is on the Internet Time tab, when I
try to update my time and date with the time.windows.com or the
time.nist.gov servers, I get a message in the window saying "An error
occurred getting the status of the last synchronization. The handle is
invalid."

I run Trend PC-cillin and turning the firewall off and then trying to
download the guide has not helped.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Angie

bweiler

Dec 17, 2005, 6:07:02 PM12/17/05

Here's the list of error codes and troubleshooting procedures for MCE EPG
errors.

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/490466.aspx

Hope this helps,

BW

Michel Bordeleau [MVP-MediaCenter]

Dec 18, 2005, 10:15:48 AM12/18/05
Have you tried re-running the guide setup wizard? Have you tried deleting
the contents of the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\eHome\EPG folder and then re-running the guide setup wizard?
This should effectively reset all of your guide information.... of course,
if it fails after this, you will also have lost any existing / remaining
guide data you might have had.

--

Michel Bordeleau
MS-MVP Media Center

"angieangie" <angie...@gmail.com> wrote in message

angieangie

Dec 18, 2005, 1:55:01 PM12/18/05
Michael,

Thanks for responding. I had tried what you mentioned (and just tried
it again now) and it still gives me the "Details: Unknown discovery
service error. Code: 14" like it did before.

I get error code 14 when I am in the Setup for the Guide, and I get
error code 33 when I am outside the setup in Media Center, when it
tries to remind me to do a Guide update.

This all started with MCE on Thursday - and as a coincidence, the same
day, my husband's Outlook email stopped receiving incoming messages,
despite the fact that the settings/servers were all correct, etc. It
landed up being that the Identity was corrupt - so I just created a new
identity and importing all his old messages in from the old corrupt
identity. It just seems odd that two problems sprang up at the same
time and wondered if they could be inter-twined.

I just got off the most frustrating "chat session" with one of the "IT"
people from Gateway. It's a stretch to call them that. Stupid me
allowed the first guy that came on to do a system restore back to
12-1-05. Of course this un-did the email stuff I had just fixed, and
when I went back into Media Center, the same error codes happened. I
think the guy just wanted to do the restore so the PC would need to
reboot and he could get rid of me. So I logged back into to their tech
support chat area and the next two people couldn't help either. One
recommended that I un-install my anti-virus program because there must
be some kind of incompatibility there. ???????? She did not seem very
convincing. When I tried to argue that the guide downloaded fine with
PC-cillin just days ago, and that even if there was some kind of
problem with PC-cillin, wouldn't the system restore have cured that?
Who knows. Like 5 minutes later she typed back and by then with the
slow responses and lack of feeling like anyone cared, I gave up.

Anyway, if anyone has read this thanks. I know I am not the only one
with problems and troubles with getting this to work... it's really
great when it does work and I guess I am just disappointed. I like the
challenge of a good problem, but feel like the 8 or so hours I've
already spent is driving me nuts! :)

Angie

Daoud0928

Dec 18, 2005, 3:53:01 PM12/18/05
I am having the same problem since 12/15/2005. I have done evry thing
including deleting the EPG files and running the Guide setup and when I do
the test of the internet connection it passes the test. I know that because
my SDL connection works fine. There must be a problem somewhere else than my
PC. I am going to call or email HP for help and see what happens.
Daoud

Daoud0928

Dec 18, 2005, 4:37:02 PM12/18/05
I just fixed my problem. I discovered that I have the year in the PC date set
incorrectly to 2004. This must have happened last week and I did not notice
that. After I fixed the date to 2005 the TV guide downloaded correctly. Check
your date on your PC!
Daoud

Michel Bordeleau [MVP-MediaCenter]

Dec 18, 2005, 6:00:05 PM12/18/05
Yup... incorrect date is one of the possible causes. :)

--

Michel Bordeleau
MS-MVP Media Center

"Daoud0928" <Daou...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Michel Bordeleau [MVP-MediaCenter]

Dec 18, 2005, 6:10:39 PM12/18/05
Hi angieangie,

I hear you about Gateway chat support... I tried to use that for a monitor
problem I was getting and even though I (thought I had) made it perfectly
clear that I had already gone through the online troubleshooting steps and
that with nothing plugged in, I was not getting a "no signal" screen she
still wanted to make me jump through hoops... not very good. Of course, I
presume they must be doing multiple chats at the same time so it must be
somewhat difficult to keep everything in mind and they are mostly scripted
anyway... but still. Not a good experience.

Back to your problem.... :) I use PC-cillin Internet Security 2006 on my
Media Center PCs (I think one is using 2005) and have no problems
downloading guide data, so any recent PC-cillin updates have not broken my
guide. There have been known issues with some antivirus packages causing
problems, but not PC-cillin. It is possible that your two problems (Outlook
and Guide) are related to some kind of overall corruption on your system.
If some part of your hard disk became corrupted that might explain it.
Creating a new identity would create new files in a non-corrupted part of
the disk. So would deleting the Guide data and restarting... although it is
possible that they files were re-created in a corrupted part. Here is what
I would try doing:

1. Close MCE
2. Delete all the files from the previously mentioned EPG folder.
3. Stop the Media Center services (you'll need to into Control Panel |
Administrative Tools | Services; stop the Media Center services, but leave
them on automatic so they restart later)
4. Defragment your hard drive
- In Windows Explorer, right-click on the C: drive (assuming that's
where Windows is installed) and select Properties
- Go to the Tools tab and click on the "Check now..." button in the
Error-checking section
- your computer will likely need to reboot to accomplish this, let it do
so
5. Once CheckDisk is completed and your computer has rebooted, doa Defrag
- Stop the Media Center services again
select Defragment Now.

6. Once all is checked and defragged, restart your computer to restart the
Media Center services
7. Re-run the Guide Setup Wizard.

Let's see how this goes. I've not gone through all these steps before in
this kind of scenario, but it will help us eliminate the possibility of disk
corruption. This should be a benign process but if there is some
corruption in your system, it is possible that things could get worst. As
always, you do these steps at your own risk and hold me in no way
responsible for any problems that may occur as a result of you following my
suggestions Ain't it fun that I have to cover my butt when helping people?

Good luck.

--

Michel Bordeleau
MS-MVP Media Center

"angieangie" <angie...@gmail.com> wrote in message

angieangie

Dec 19, 2005, 6:29:04 AM12/19/05
Michael,

Thanks so much for your ideas there to help - unfortunately though
after going through the steps and letting the computer defrag
overnight, this AM while running through the Guide set-up I am still
receiving the Code 14. (I did learn something new though when going to
the Control Panel Administrative Tools and stopping the Media Center
services... that was cool to know - thanks!)

Anyway, not sure what to try next. Do you think that even though the
Date/Time is correct, that something more is going on when I try to do
a synch to either time.windows.com or the time.nist.gov servers, I get

a message in the window saying "An error
occurred getting the status of the last synchronization. The handle is

invalid."

Angie

Michel Bordeleau [MVP-MediaCenter]

Dec 19, 2005, 9:45:38 AM12/19/05
Hi.

Okay, let's explore your time synchronization issue and see if that is
related.

First thing to try

1. See if your computer can ping (see) the time servers
- Open a command prompt (START | Programs | Accessories | Command
Prompt)
- at the prompt type (without the quotes): "ping time.nist.gov".
- you should see something that looks like the following:

C:\>ping time.nist.gov

Pinging time.nist.gov [192.43.244.18] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.43.244.18:

(You can't ping the time.windows.com domain... at least, I was unable to do
so when I typed up this post; some domains block the ping command...)

2. If you can ping time.nist.gov, then your computer is able to see the
time server.

3. See we know we can ping time.nist.gov, set the Internet Time server to
this in the Date/Time properties window

4. Try to update the time manually again using the update now button in the
same window.

5. If that fails, send me the event log entry for the failed
synchronization attempt. You can get this from the Event Log. (START |
Programs | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Event Log; from here,
select the System folder and look for the latest entry with a source of
W32Time. Double-click on this entry to view it. Then click on the copy
button (it's the bottom-most button of the group of 3 buttons at the
top-right of the window). Paste this into your reply. I should be able to
dig up some more details from there.

6. Let's also try something else. At the command prompt, type the following
entries, pressing enter after easy line
net stop w32time
w32tm.exe /unregister
w32tm.exe /register
net start w32time

7. now try resynchronizing the clock.

I'll wait for your feedback before going further.

Michel

--

Michel Bordeleau
MS-MVP Media Center

"angieangie" <angie...@gmail.com> wrote in message

BlackberryAddict1

Dec 19, 2005, 4:46:06 PM12/19/05
I have exactly the same problem on a number of Media Center PCs. They
all exhibit this exactly: code33 when attempting to download the guide
and code14 if you delete the guide files and run the wizard again.

All the PCs get internet access through the same proxy server and all
are updated by the same WSUS server.

In the event log (Start Run Eventvwr), in the application log, there is
a common error each night when the download of the guide should take
place. Firstly there is an event id 8, crypt32:

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number
from:
<http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt>
with error: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

Then there is an event id 33, source Media Center Guide:
Event Info: Discovery Service: Unexpected error. The Guide listings
service is not currently available. Please try again later.
Process: DefaultDomain
Object Name: Microsoft.Ehome.Epg.Ehepgdat

I assume the first one is attempting to download a certificate for
encryption services and that the guide is encrypted? I don't have a
clue it's just a guess. If this fails, it would explain why the guide
download then fails. It would also explain why the time/date is so
critical when downloading as the certificate would not authenticate.

Anyone else see the same problem?

Jason Tsang

Dec 19, 2005, 4:51:12 PM12/19/05
Are you able to goto Windows or Microsoft Update and have that process
complete without issues?

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"BlackberryAddict1" <pa...@writeme.com> wrote in message

angieangie

Dec 19, 2005, 7:57:51 PM12/19/05
Hi Michael,

I did the ping time.nist.gov and everything looked as your example did
- I would imagine the most important part is "Packets: Sent = 4,
Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), " to tell that it worked?

I went back into the Date/Time and tried to "Update Now" and receive
the same message.

This is my Event Log:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7
Date: 12/19/2005
Time: 7:48:16 PM
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-ECCA471D02
The time provider 'NtpClient' returned an error while updating its
configuration. The error will be ignored. The error was: The handle is
invalid. (0x80070006)

Then I tried step 6 and when I went back to synch the clock in
Date/Time it told me: The time has been sucessfully synchonized with
time.nist.gov on 12/19/2005 at 7:53 PM.

!!! Cool !!! :)

OK so now the moment of truth I guess to go back to MCE and try to get
the guide...

Same error Code 14. :(

angieangie

Dec 19, 2005, 8:08:04 PM12/19/05
Jason,

Now that you mention it, when I go to the Microsoft page for updates,
the IE sits forever on the "Checking for the latest updates for your
computer..." I had sort of forgotten about that. We got the PC from
Best Buy in October and then in November had a strange error that would
stop my Cyberlink PowerDirector program from running, so we took it
back in and the Geek Squad guy went to the Microsoft site and
downloaded the updates from Microsoft (and mentioned how we didn't have
them). Now that I go back to the microsoft site I see the latest
update was from 11-12-05, which is probably when the PC was with the
Geek Squad.

So could this mean something like https:// is blocked? I read about
that as one of the reasons for Error Code 14.

I just tried to get updates now and finally it stopped "checking" for
updates and tells me:

[Error number: 0x80072EFD]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you
are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
problem.
For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions

Find Solutions

Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem yourself.

Diane

Dec 19, 2005, 10:45:02 PM12/19/05
Hi Angie,

I had the *exact* error messages you are getting now as well as a similiar
experience with tech support. I ended up uninstalling my Norton anti-virus
software, including the firewall, and my system was able to connect to the
internet, download the guide, and with exception of some delays in the
channels changing, things are running fine.

BlackberryAddict1

Dec 20, 2005, 4:34:41 AM12/20/05
Yes, Windows Update works fine. In fact I ran this just to make sure
that Microsoft hadn't changed anything relating to the Crypt32 file.
The updates all applied fine but the problem persists.

Michel Bordeleau [MVP-MediaCenter]

Dec 20, 2005, 9:20:37 AM12/20/05
That is one thing that Angie should try as well. Even though I know
PCcillin works fine, uninstalling it completely will make sure that it does
not interfer. If everything works fine with PCcillin, then we can
re-install it and look at it's configuration.

Sound good?

--

Michel Bordeleau
MS-MVP Media Center

"Diane" <Di...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

BlackberryAddict1

Dec 20, 2005, 3:18:34 PM12/20/05
At last - I have my Media Centers up and running again. I don't know
why it stopped working in the first place, but at least I know how I
fixed it. It seems that the problems were caused by me the fact that I
use the ISPs Proxy Server to get out to the Internet. No settings had
changed here recently that I'm aware of, but clearly something went
wrong. See Microsoft article at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289481/EN-US/ This describes what I did
- I ran proxycfg -u to use the settings from my browser - which had
worked for browsing and for Windows Update. I hope this helps you guys
too

Paul

angieangie

Dec 20, 2005, 10:33:44 PM12/20/05
I just finished removing PC-cillin and re-booting as it instructed.
When the system came back up, I got the following:

The file C:Windows\system32\Drivers\TM_CFW.sys has been deleted. Do
you want to replace it?

(I clicked yes because I was not sure)

It then said:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\termdd.sys has been restored.

Then popped up four more dialog boxes and each time I said "yes" to
restore:

2nd: The file C:Windows\system32\Drivers\tmpreflt.sys has been
deleted. Do you want to replace it?
2nd: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\termdd.sys has been restored.

3rd: The file C:Windows\system32\Drivers\tmtdi.sys has been deleted.
Do you want to replace it?
3rd: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\termdd.sys has been restored.

4th: The file C:Windows\system32\Drivers\tmxpflt.sys has been deleted.
Do you want to replace it?
4th: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\termdd.sys has been restored.

5th: The file C:Windows\system32\Drivers\VsapiNT.sys has been deleted.
Do you want to replace it?
5th: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\volsnap.sys has been restored.

I then went back and deleted the EPG folder and then opened Media
Center. Went through the Guide Setup and got Error Code 14 again...
Those few moments though when it says "downloading" and just hangs
there are always filled with hope as I try and try to fix this. :)

I have not re-installed PC-cillin as of yet, although I am worried to
really be online at all without it. Will add it back for now and then
remove it again if you think something in the config needs to be
checked/changed. I am going to do some searching on these .sys files
and see if somehow they are linked to the issue.

Thanks for everyone's help and input again on this - especially
Michael!

angieangie

Dec 21, 2005, 5:10:29 AM12/21/05
This morning I went to check email and noticed my husband's email
account again was not downloading incoming messages, and giving the
"Error" code unknown. So again I created a new identity for him, and
his messages downloaded correctly. For now I am going to leave his old
messages under the old identity separated out, and not import them into
the new identity, as I was thinking that could again corrupt the new
identity?

The more problems that happen here, the more I wonder if I need to wipe
my C drive and start over again. I really wanted to avoid doing this.
Does anyone have any other ideas before trying that?

Thanks!

Michel Bordeleau [MVP-MediaCenter]

Dec 21, 2005, 9:05:50 AM12/21/05
Hi.

Hmmm, sounds like PC-cillin really had a problem with the uninstall too....
definitely something strange going on. You mention in your other post about
your husband's mail issues have returned as well. If this were my computer
I would wipe my C: and re-install Windows... but I do that regularly so I'm
used to it. :) I understand your reluctance to go through that, however,
I'm running out of ideas for you. I would certainly re-install PC-cillin,
option for the latest version (2006) if possible. But in the end, I'm not
sure what else to try.

It does seem pretty clear, however, that the problem is not just media
center, but Windows in general. You might want to try posting in the
regular windowsxp newsgroup about your time synch and outlook express
issues.

Sorry I can't think of anything further.

--

Michel Bordeleau
MS-MVP Media Center

"angieangie" <angie...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Rebecca

Dec 22, 2005, 12:19:02 PM12/22/05
AngieAngie, thanks for starting this thread. I was gone a week, and came
back to the same problems you have. (code 14, 33, and invalid handle) As of
this morning, however, my clock is correctly syncronized (confirmation
report) and the guide still won't down load. I disabled my Norton security,
and that didn't help either. I'm very reluctant to wipe my C drive clean. I
guess I'll spend the next few days (during my free time from Christmas
chaos!) backing up everything I can think of, and then hauling it down to the
Geek Squad to see what they can do. If you figure out what your problem is,
would you mind e-mailing me? If I figure out a solution, I'll do the same
for you.
Thanks,
Rebecca
Reb...@CatholicExchange.com

angieangie

Dec 23, 2005, 12:18:23 PM12/23/05
Hi Rebecca,
I will let you know what happens but I too have been in the process of
backing everything up and getting ready to haul it to either the Geek
Squad or to a local shop somewhere. We called this morning and they
want $75 an hour at one of the local places to trouble-shoot it. With
the holidays they said it wouldn't be looked until later in the week,
so just using this time to see if there's anything else I can find
on-line. We figure since we're taking it in, might as well have
another hard drive added too - it makes life much easier to have a
second drive for "storage" and then keep all your program files only on
the C: drive. Then when the next time rolls around to wipe C: clean
and start over, at least all pictures, music, and other documents are
all saved to the second drive. Anyway, good luck to you and keep my
posted when you get this resolved.
Thanks,
Angie
PS. Looks like they block email address on this site - is your address
Rebecca and then @ CatholicExchange.com ? Mine is angieangie and then
@ ameritech . net

angieangie

Dec 23, 2005, 1:10:23 PM12/23/05
Since I've had the multiple problems synching to the time/date,
downloading the Media Center guide, and downloading updates from
microsoft.com, I've been doing some general searches for a fix (not
Media Center specific) and found this:

Can't download any updates and/or you receive an error message: Go to
Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 wintrust.dll. If that doesn't help: Go
to Start/Run and type in CMD. At the command prompt, type the following
commands, pressing ENTER after each line:

net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2
net start cryptsvc

Or run this script, then try the install again.

I tried it and for a moment thought my Media Center issue was fixed -
because this time as I ran through the Guide Setup, it went from
"Connecting" to "Downloading" to "Downloading Complete" !!! But then
right after it said "Downloading Complete" the Error Code 14 came up.
Still, this is the first time it told me it "Complete" (even though it
didn't complete). Still, thought this to be odd - thought I would
mention.

Rebecca

Dec 24, 2005, 2:41:02 AM12/24/05
Thanks! I'll try that in the morning when I'm more awake, and have some time.
I'll let you know if it helps or not.
Rebecca
P.S. Yes, that is my e-mail addy (from the previous post)

Michel Bordeleau [MS-MVP Media Center]

Dec 29, 2005, 9:34:56 AM12/29/05
Hi angieangie and Rebecca,

I reinstalled my computer last week and lost track of this thread... I
recently came across some more info on possible guide download errors and
thought I'd post these here for you:

The crypto API cause problems with guide download before... usually error
code 20, but it might be worth a try. Take a look at this blog post:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/12/03/499810.aspx

The BITS service can also be a cause:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/11/06/489726.aspx,
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/11/10/491632.aspx

Maybe these will help if you still have problems... or in the future. :)

Michel

--
Michel Bordeleau
MS-MVP: Media Center

"Rebecca" <Reb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

angieangie

Jan 8, 2006, 7:33:47 PM1/8/06
Hi all,

I hadn't tried to fix the error codes 14 & 33 in the last couple weeks,
with the holidays, etc. Plus, I was resolved (and still am) that I
just need to wipe C: and start over. Right now I am waiting for the
500gig hard drive to be available at Micro Center, so I can add the
drive and move over all my music, videos, pictures, etc. Then I am
going to start over again and hopefully resolve the problem.

But get this - last night on a whim I was going to try a manual
recording because one of my favorite artists was on a show and I wanted
to save it. I go back into Media Center and BOOM - there's the guide!
Like it had never left. I was so mad. But I am still going with the
plan of wiping the drive because there are too many "unexpected errors"
that have seemed to crop up that make using the machine frustrating.

Thanks for all the help though - appreciate it. I am going to save
the links you posted "just in case".

Angie

B.@discussions.microsoft.com Jim B.

Jan 22, 2006, 10:58:02 PM1/22/06
Dear Angie and all others with this problem,

I had been having the same problems as you and have tryed everything under
this blog. Nothing that had been posted helped my problem (code 14 and 33).
About a half an hour ago I stumbled upon the problem. This is a date and
time based program that runs the updates.......so check your calender and
time on your computer. My time has been right so I never though to check my
date. Low and behold my calender was set for some time in July 2006. I
changed the date to today and ran the media update. The
results................It worked the very first time. I hope this helps you
and all others with your updates.

Jim

angieangie

Feb 8, 2006, 6:07:44 PM2/8/06
After a couple months now of not having the guide on Media Center
(because I basically gave up on the issue) I went back into MCE and all
of a sudden THE GUIDE FINALLY WORKS!!! :) Out of the blue - without
even doing anything. I was so excited - until I realized that NOW the
TV signal no longer works! The cable box is connected and used to work
fine - nothing on the TV settings was changed or disconnected. I tried
to run the set up for the signal again but can't recognize it.

I wondered if I should try to re-install MCE? Does anyone recommend
this and know how to do it?
Thanks,

Angie

Pelle

Feb 17, 2006, 10:15:31 AM2/17/06
I had exactly the same experience!

Some weeks ago the Guide stopped working.
I tried to run the Guide Set Up again and it worked fine, UNTIL I made a new
scan for services (i.e. cable channels). It didn’t find any services
(channels)!
No channels- not possible to watch TV!!

After endless hours of trying to restore the TV channels, I got 3 or 4
channels back. I used to have 25, so I was still not happy.
On the other hand, the guide did not work anymore…. I got error code 13.

Then suddenly this week, the guide started to download again, and all
channels came back…
So now I am a happy camper again!

Still, if my car would behave like that, I would park it on the junk yard
for good.
But I guess I have more patience with computers. (One might wonder why you
must be a MSc to watch TV??)

What could have been the problem? I have no idea…
I strongly suspects that the virus scan and firewall programs could be the
source..

I use Panda Titanium and have been quite happy with it. But every now and
then it wants to block the eshell.exe program. I talked the support and they
say that the only reason the program wants to block the eshell program is
because the eshell program code has been changed.

So I guess my questions is:
Is it normal that the eshell’s program code is changed almost weekly, or
could there be another problem?
(According to Panda support, all firewall programs behaves like this, so I
shouln’ät be the only one…?)