360 Extender software not installing

Flounder

Nov 23, 2005, 1:36:30 PM11/23/05
My XP MCE computer (after reboot) will throw up a pop up window which
says "new xbox 360 found on the network". It then directs me to the
xbox webpage to download the software to connect the two. The name of
the Xbox 360 software update is XboxMCELite-ENU. However when I run
this software it launches through the extracting files progress bar and
then stops, no other windows come up. A DvcSetup.exe file is set as a
running process with 50% CPU but it never changes or goes forward with
its install.

In the log file DvcSetup.log (in Windows\ ) this is what is saved after
each attempted install:

Wednesday, 23 November 2005 11:32:04
11:32:04 AM : Checking OS version.

11:32:04 AM : Checking MCE version.

11:32:04 AM : MCE version = Emerald.

11:32:04 AM : Checking only instance of installer.

11:32:04 AM : CmdLine: Installing.

11:32:04 AM : CmdLine: Skin = Xenon.

11:32:04 AM : Verifying user is Administrator.

11:32:04 AM : Verifying EULA is present.

11:32:04 AM : Verifying MCE is NOT installed on a dynamic disk.

Anyone have any ideas? I have tried quite a few things as I know
computers pretty well but no luck. It just stops after that last
verifying MCE is NOT installed on a dynamic disk (which it is not).
Help!!

Flounder

Dec 17, 2005, 2:08:43 PM12/17/05
Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

Litak@discussions.microsoft.com John Litak

Jan 16, 2006, 8:45:01 PM1/16/06
I'm having the same problem. The only difference is the dvcsetup.exe
consumes about 99% of my CPU while it sits their doing nothing. Actually
another difference is my drive is an EIDE, not an SATA.

"Flounder" wrote:

> Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

Todd Bowra [MSFT]

Jan 18, 2006, 4:36:38 PM1/18/06
Can you post your DvcSetup.log and DvcConn.log files from c:\windows?

Also, how was Media Center installed on your PC? (did you install it
yourself from an OEM copy/MSDN? is this a Media Center 2004 PC that you
updated? did you get it from an OEM with it already running MCE 2005? etc.)

"John Litak" <John Li...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jenelle Coberly [MSFT]

Jan 18, 2006, 7:56:10 PM1/18/06
A detailed snapshot will also help us as we continue to try and discover
what is similar between users expereincing this issue.

Please generate a snapshot of your PC using WINMSD.exe. To do this, complete
the following:
Start -> Run -> WINMSD.exe

From the tool bar select File --> Export

Save off the file in txt format and sent to msft_mcx at hotmail.com.

"Todd Bowra [MSFT]" <tod...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

John Litak

Feb 4, 2006, 4:57:27 PM2/4/06
Here are the last entries from dvcsetup.log and devconn.log respectively:

Tuesday, 24 January 2006 20:12:57
8:12:57 PM : Checking OS version.

8:12:57 PM : Checking MCE version.

8:12:57 PM : MCE version = Emerald.

8:12:57 PM : Checking only instance of installer.

8:12:57 PM : CmdLine: Installing.

8:12:57 PM : CmdLine: Skin = Xenon.

8:12:57 PM : Verifying user is Administrator.

8:12:57 PM : Verifying EULA is present.

8:12:57 PM : Verifying MCE is NOT installed on a dynamic disk.

That's where the install would hang. After installing the software using
the manual methods described in your other post, when attempting to add a new
360, I get a similar dvcconn.log with the same results, a stuck process:

Saturday, 04 February 2006 16:45:58
4:45:58 PM : Checking OS version.

4:45:58 PM : Checking MCE version.

4:45:58 PM : MCE version = Emerald.

4:45:58 PM : Checking only instance of installer.

4:45:58 PM : CmdLine: Connection Wizard.

4:45:58 PM : CmdLine: Skin = Xenon.

4:45:58 PM : Verifying user is Administrator.

4:45:58 PM : Verifying EULA is present.

4:45:58 PM : Verifying MCE is NOT installed on a dynamic disk.

I don't remember if I updated a upgraded or if I did a complete reload. I
think I did a complete reload when I went to MC2005. I used MSDN for the
source.

Let me know if there's anyting else I should try.

Thanks,

-John

John Litak

Feb 4, 2006, 5:07:39 PM2/4/06
The information has been sent. Thanks.

-John

Jenelle Coberly [MSFT]

Feb 7, 2006, 6:33:10 PM2/7/06
Have recieved your snapshot. I will review and report back

"Jenelle Coberly [MSFT]" <jene...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Flounder

Feb 13, 2006, 1:01:35 PM2/13/06
I am having this exact same issue.....I also used MSDN and did a full
reload of my machine. Hopefully this is something they can figure out!

Jenelle Coberly [MSFT]

Feb 14, 2006, 2:51:10 PM2/14/06
I have reviewed your MSD report and have the following follow-up
suggestions/requests.

Please check the System event log to see if there are any error events
related to dmio/dmboot, disk.sys, or partmgr during the time when the
install is failing?
You can access the system event log by doing the following: Start --
Run -- eventvwr.msc

Please check the Bios settings for this particular drive and report back if
it has been changed from the default values. Please report what change was
made.

"Jenelle Coberly [MSFT]" <jene...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jenelle Coberly [MSFT]

Feb 27, 2006, 2:55:22 PM2/27/06
Please complete the following and report back your results.

1. Can you check the following registry key
\HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\class\
{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
2. Check if the UpperFilters value is set to Partmgr. If it is not, then
please set the value to 'Partmgr' and reboot.

Attempt to install the Xbox 360 software from www.xbox.com/pcsetup