Column Settings in Windows Live Mail Folders - change one, change

Belfast

Jun 3, 2008, 1:28:00 AM6/3/08
I have installed the Windows Live Mail client [Build 12.0.1606] and have been
using it successfully for a while (although would dearly like a Calendar and
British English dictionary!). I currently use it exclusively to access my
Windows Live Mail account (Hotmail) on an xp3 machine.

My problem:
When I add an additional mail folder to store sent items on a particular
subject, I want to be able to change the FROM column (which it defaults to)
to a TO column when I am in that particular folder. (I have configured the
look and feel to display email list pane above and have the reading pane set
below) I realise I can right-click on any of the column headers to access the
"Columns..." menu and have successfully changed the FROM to a TO column.

HOWEVER, in doing so, this action changes the FROM column to a TO column in
ALL my other mail folders (default and ones I've created) except for my
default "Sent items" folder which displays TO.

My question:
Is it possible to change the column fields in one folder without it
affecting every other folder.

By the way - in Hotmail - the sent items folder I created behaves correctly
and displays the TO column by default.

One solution would be to display both FROM and TO columns but this up
valuable real estate for other columns I require.

Thanks in advance for a solution.

Michael Santovec

Jun 3, 2008, 1:51:04 AM6/3/08
I'll deal with 2 of your issues.

1) On the columns, that seems to be a carry over from Outlook Express,
where the Outbox, Drafts and Sent Items use one set of column headings
and the Inbox and all user created folders use another set.

2) You are in luck: British English dictionary is built into WLM, but
it's hidden.

For English Spelling variations:

Edit in Notepad %programfiles%\Windows
Live\Mail\Proof\prf0009\2\spell.ini
and enter desired lang= and change Lex= if needed

lang=1033 ; US
lang=2057 ; UK
lang=4105 ; Canada
lang=3081 ; Australia

Lex=MSSP3EN.LEX for: US, UK and Canada
Lex=MSSP3ENA.LEX for: Australia - file may not be included in WLM.
Copy to
%programfiles%\Windows Live\Mail\Proof\prf0009\2\MSSP3ENA.LEX from
%programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof\MSSP3ENA.LEX or other
source

Tools, Options, Spelling will still show "English (United States)" with
any of the above selected, but it will check with the correct variation.

If you would like the correct variation listed as well as the ability to
switch between variations, do the following:
- COPY (do not Move or Rename or else WLM will get upset) the folder
%programfiles%\Windows Live\Mail\Proof\prf0009\2
to either
%programfiles%\Windows Live\Mail\Proof\prfxxxx\1
or
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
Live Mail\Proof\prfxxxx\1
where xxxx is the lang value in hexadecimal:
UK=prf0809, Canada=prf1009, Australia=prf0c09
- Make the appropriate spell.ini changes in the new folder as outlined
above.

Note: if copied to %userprofile% there will be an Uninstall option, but
not at %programfiles%

"Belfast" <Bel...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Belfast

Jun 3, 2008, 2:08:01 AM6/3/08
Thanks Michael.

On your point 1): If true then Drat! Never noticed on OE. Strange that the
Hotmail web displays correctly without me having to change the column headers
- seems to have the smarts built in. I suppose it is a very simple database
behind the client - not that I know anything about dbs'.

On your point 2): Thanks, but may be too much of a muppet to get this right.
Will give it a go... :~}

Cheers

Belfast

Jun 3, 2008, 2:16:01 AM6/3/08
It works! ta!

Michael Santovec

Jun 3, 2008, 9:59:48 PM6/3/08
At least we got one of your problems fixed.