How to create English (UK) as an additional spellchecker in WLM

Bob Lucas

May 10, 2008, 7:46:03 AM5/10/08
After a lot of trial and error, I have discovered a way of including the English (United Kingdom) spellchecker as an ADDITIONAL language option, without losing the default English (United States) spellchecker.

1. The Language ID for English (US) is 1033 (or 0409 in hexadecimal).

2. The language ID for English (UK) is 2057 (or 0809 in hexadecimal).

3. With Windows XP and later, set the folder options to “Show hidden files and folders”.

4. All additional spellcheckers are installed in a folder called “Proof” in “%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail”, which includes a separate folder for each language. The name of each different language folder is “prf00xx” or prf0xxx, where “xx” or "xxx" is the hexadecimal code for each language.

5. In “%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail”, create a new folder named “prf0809” (hexadecimal for English (United Kingdom)) - and create a further sub-folder named “1”.

6. Then, open the folder “%programfiles%\Windows Live\ Mail\Proof\prf009\2”. This folder contains the basic spellchecker files for various versions of the English language. Copy the three files, mssp3en.lex; MSSpell3.DLL and spell.ini from “%programfiles%\Windows Live\ Mail\Proof\prf009\2” to “%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\prf0809\1” (i.e. one of the folders you created previously).

7. Then, right click on “spell,ini” (in “prf0809/1”) and change Lang=1033 to Lang=2057. Save “spell.ini”.

8 Finally, open Windows Live Mail and click on Tools / Options / Spelling. The updated list of installed spell checkers should include English (United Kingdom), in addition to English (United States). Set whichever version you prefer as the default spellchecker.

Urbane.Tiger

May 10, 2008, 8:26:00 AM5/10/08
good one bob

list of language ids can be found here -

still no Latin, still no Ancient Greek - been asking for about 20 years now.

--

TUT

"Bob Lucas" <b...@spoof.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Ildhund

May 10, 2008, 9:26:13 AM5/10/08
Thanks for that addition to the accumulated wisdom, Bob. I never
considered the possibility that anyone using British English would
ever *want* to spell the American way.
Still, your post got me thinking. I have an extra file in
..\Proof\prf009\2: MSSP3ENA.LEX. This turns out to be the Australian
dictionary, which is thus *not* included in mssp3en.lex like US and
Canadian (and possibly others). So, for all those Aussies out there,
*either*
if you would like to be able to choose between two flavours of
English on the fly, follow Bob's instructions below, except the
following:

2A. The Language ID for English (Australia) is 3081 (or
0C09 in hexadecimal).

5. In “%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail”, create a new folder named

prf0C09” (hexadecimal for English (AU)) - and create a further
sub-folder named “1”.

6A. If there is a file MSSP3ENA.LEX there, copy that one
over as well. Otherwise look for it amongst your Office (97-2003)
proofing tools (mine are in %commonprogramfiles%\Microsoft
Shared\Proof), or borrow it from your neighbour, and put it in the
'1' folder.

7. Then, right click on “spell,ini” (in “prf0C09/1”) and
change Lang=1033 to Lang=3081 *and* change lex=mssp3en.lex to
lex=mssp3ena.lex. Save “spell.ini”.

*or* if you're not bothered about other flavours than Oz, make sure
you have mssp3ena.lex (see 6A above) in “%programfiles%\Windows
Live\Mail\Proof\prf009\2, and edit spell.ini as in 7 above.

Beware:
(a) Office 2007 proofing tools won't work.
(b) Vista users will have to Run Notepad As Administrator to be able
to edit spell.ini.

Would a kind Aussie care to post back with the results of trying
this?
--
Noel

Urbane.Tiger

May 10, 2008, 10:41:44 AM5/10/08
Noel,

I will if you'll give me a Latin dictionary - but I'll be looking to have
Aussie, Pommie and Yankee dictionaries that way I'm bound to get it
right/rite/wright/write - be a few days tho - lots to do.

I got 7.2M indexable objects in 750K NTFS objects on my system.

Oh WDS4 does same as WDS3.1 - spits the dummy at about 60K and reverts
settings back to default - where there are a mere 6,216 objects

I'm finding locate32 useful, it only indexes NTFS object idents but at least
it does all 750K of them.

maybe I'll do my own - I know how the filters work so I can keep those, I
would probably use sqllite for the indexes

sorry bob - didn't mean to hijack your post, but seeing as Noel was here I
thought I'd have a natter.

c'Ya

--
TUT
__________________________________

"Ildhund" <jn...@removemsn.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Earle Horton

May 10, 2008, 11:40:25 AM5/10/08
Be good for a laugh to start using the Bri'ish spelling in discussion
groups. Do you suppose I could use this information to install the
Portuguese spell checker from Office 2003 in Windows Live Mail?

Cheers,

Earle

Michael Santovec

May 10, 2008, 3:43:41 PM5/10/08
Good work that's a keeper.

I'll add a few notes of my own that I've discovered about the proofing
folders.

1) You can put the optional spelling dictionaries in

%programfiles%\Windows Live\Mail\Proof

rather than

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live

Mail\Proof

WLM will recognize them in either place. The downloaded ones presumably
go to %userprofile% so that you don't have to be an administrator to
install.

The advantage of %programfiles% is that if you have multiple Windows
users, you only need one copy and don't need to replicate for new users.

The one difference between the 2 locations is that ones in %userprofile%
have the Uninstall button enabled and those in %programfiles% do not.

2) If you move your WLM Storage folder, it Copies everything under

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live

Mail\
to the new location. This includes copying the Proof folder. But it
does Not use the Proof folder at the new location, only the one at the
original location. Besides any downloaded dictionaries, this includes
your Custom dictionaries. So if you want to back up your custom
dictionaries, you must backup:

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live

Mail\Proof\lang*.lex

regardless of where you have moved the storage folder.

"Bob Lucas" <b...@spoof.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> After a lot of trial and error, I have discovered a way of including
> the English (United Kingdom) spellchecker as an ADDITIONAL language
> option, without losing the default English (United States)
> spellchecker.

etc.

Ildhund

May 10, 2008, 4:17:49 PM5/10/08
A comment and two questions:
(1) I don't have a Proof folder in my Store folder at its
non-standard location, and I'm sure I haven't deleted it. The one
containing extra proofing tools has always lived in Local Settings
(on XP).
(2) Have you worked out the significance of '1' or '2' (or possibly
'3') as the name of the subfolder to the prfxxxx folders?
(3) Do you or anyone else know whether mssp3ena.lex (the Australian
English lexicon) is standard issue with an English language version
of WLMail and/or Office (97-2003)? I have two (seemingly identical -
dated 16 November 2001) versions of it, an Office one whose name is
in small letters and the WLMail one whose name is in all caps.
--
Noel

"Michael Santovec" <michael_...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

...winston

May 10, 2008, 4:30:23 PM5/10/08
Nice!!
Wtg, Bob..

I've added this to my Windows Live Blog with an attribution to you.
http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!223.entry

If you are uncomfortable with the reference or use, please let me know, and I will remove it.

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

Ildhund

May 10, 2008, 4:36:02 PM5/10/08
No reason why not. That's more or less how I installed Danish and
Swedish. There was a long thread about Portuguese some time ago; it
worked for the OP there, except that the language showed as
Portuguese (Brazil) even though it was the home-grown variety.
--
Noel

"Earle Horton" <earleh_...@live.com> wrote in message

Michael Santovec

May 10, 2008, 10:56:12 PM5/10/08
1) Did you move the store folder before downloading any additional
dictionaries or adding any words to the custom dictionary? It's
possible the %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Proof folder doesn't get created until
needed. It appears that when you move the storage folder, WLM just
copies everything under the old location to the new. I didn't notice
until after the move when I deleted the old structure that the
previously download dictionary was no longer recognized as being
installed and that new custom dictionary files had been created in the
old location.

2) I did notice that WLM expects the %programfiles%\Windows
Live\Mail\Proof\prf0009\2 to be there. In playing with this I tried
renaming that to 1 to see if that would change the (United States) in
the English listing. When I restart WLM it decided that it needed to
reinstall itself. Made a bit of a mess.

3) mssp3ena.lex did not come with my WLM. I do have a copy at
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof\MSSP3ENA.LEX
dated 3/19/03. I'm guessing that it either came with my Office XP or
Works 6.0

"Ildhund" <jn...@removemsn.com> wrote in message

Edna Boxe

May 11, 2008, 1:45:41 PM5/11/08

"Bob Lucas" <b...@spoof.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Worked a treat although mine were found here: "C:\Program Files\Windows
Live\Mail\Proof", in “%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail” I found my custom dictionary.

Edna.

Bob Lucas

May 12, 2008, 2:01:13 PM5/12/08
I don't have any Portuguese spell chec LEX and DLL files, so I can't
test the following suggestion. However, I see no logical reason that
might prevent you from using the same procedure, if you want to install
the Portuguese spell checker (from Office 2003).

Try these language codes:

Portuguese (Portugal) = 2070 (Decimal) = 0816 (Hex)
Portuguese (Brazil) = 1046 (Decimal) = 0416 (Hex)

The same principle will probably apply for many languagues, provided:

a) You have access to the necesary spell check LEX and DLL files
(probably from Word 2000 or Word 2003)
and
b) You know the Decimal and Hexadecimal language codes

Earle Horton

May 12, 2008, 10:14:16 PM5/12/08
Obrigado,

Earle