Re: Outlook Express update KB911567

Jim Pickering

Apr 13, 2006, 5:15:13 PM4/13/06
Have you searched for all files ending with WAB ?

How about checking in the registry to see what file is indicated as your
default WAB file?
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER
\Software
\Microsoft
\WAB
\WAB4
\Wab File Name

Then navigate to that file using Explorer and double click it to see if it
opens correctly. If those work, then please post the "complete and exact"
text of any error message. There are many errors associated with the
Address Book and without the complete, exact text of the error, it's hard to
guess which one applies in this case. Some basic info about the operating
system you are using would also be helpful.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=F9F51EF1-4AE3-4D23-B2D8-1171988A62D6

"jd42" <jd...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I installed the latest OE security update, my address book
> disappeared.
> When I tried to reply to a message it told me the format of my address
> book
> was not valid. It also told me an error had occurred. When I tried to
> create a new message (CTRL-N) it told me an error had occurred. This
> happened whichever message I tried to reply to. It carried on happening
> after re-booting. When I removed the update, everything went back to
> normal,
> I was able to send and reply to messages again, and my address book
> reappeared.
>
> I am using Outlook Express v6 with XP2 Home with SP2. All other updates
> have been installed.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

jd42

Apr 13, 2006, 7:16:02 PM4/13/06
Thanks for your reply. The present situation is that I have removed the
update and everything is working again. I am a bit hesitant about
reinstalling it, in case next time it does something worse. I may try it
again after Easter and carry out your suggestions about WAB files.

Most of the error messages were surprisingly uninformative. When I tried to
reply to a message I got the message about the address book. If I clicked on
the message again it then just told me an error had occurred. I am not
particularly bothered about the address book which only has two obsolete
entries. What I was concerned about was not being able to reply to a message
or create a new message. At one point when I used CTRL-M to send and receive
messages I was told an error had occurred, but that went away when I
re-booted.

The reason for my post was to see if anyone else had the same problem, with
the aim of finding some common factors. I am using XP Home SP2 with all the
high-priority updates, and Norton Internet Security 2006.

Jim Pickering

Apr 13, 2006, 7:36:26 PM4/13/06
The problem may be as simple as the fact that you are using Norton for an
antivirus program. It's one of the most intrusive, problem causing programs
that "touch" Outlook Express so I would make sure that email scanning and
antispam protection are disabled in the program. You should also shut down
any antivirus program when installing updates to make sure the installation
of newer files is not corrupted by an antivirus program that fails to
recognize the newer files and "quarantines" them.

Good luck.

--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express

"jd42" <jd...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robert

Apr 14, 2006, 12:12:02 AM4/14/06
Hello,
I am also running Norton Internet Security 2006, I have tried to disable the
antispam features that it uses with outlook express and that didn't seem to
matter, I even disabled NIS 2006 thru the temporery way of disableing NIS2006.
I am also having the same problem as described. I unistalled updates
kb908531, kb9811562, kb912812, kb911567 since when unistalling one it says
other updates may not work right. After unistalling and rebooting system, I
was able to use outlook express again. I went ahead and tried to re-install
updates and again had the same faults.

My faults are as follows.
When you try to open an email it comes back with a error saying
"There was an error opening this message
An Error has occured"

When I try to open my address book it has an error that says
"Unable to open the address book.
The address book may not be installed properly"

I am using outlook express to connect with my hotmail only not sure if this
is any good information or not.

I have this update installed on a notebook without NIS2006 and it seems to
work just fine. I also have another computer with NIS2006 and will have to
configure outlook express and play to see if it will fault out and let you
know. This could be an issue with NIS but they will never want to fix it,
and blame microsoft.

PA Bear

Apr 14, 2006, 12:46:07 AM4/14/06
Did you also install any Office/Outlook updates?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Robert

Apr 14, 2006, 2:11:01 AM4/14/06
These are the updates below that were installed.

Office 2003 Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB914454) Wednesday,
April 12, 2006 Microsoft Update
Windows XP Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 for Windows XP
(KB911565) Wednesday, April 12, 2006 Microsoft Update
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562) Wednesday, April 12,
2006 Microsoft Update
Windows XP Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP
(KB912812) Wednesday, April 12, 2006 Microsoft Update
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531) Wednesday, April 12,
2006 Microsoft Update
Windows XP Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP
(KB911567) Wednesday, April 12, 2006 Microsoft Update

I have noticed that when I log into another user and setup an account in
outlook express It works just fine. So something under my user must be
corrupt. I am thinking about removing the accounts in outlook express and
reconfiguring it, to see what that does.

Another thing I need to try is to turn off the antispam in NIS2006 function
in my user and restarting the computer and see what that does. Seems like
NIS doesn't do much until you restart computer with some changes.

Denise

Apr 15, 2006, 3:57:01 PM4/15/06
I too am using Outlook Express 6, Windows XP Home, XP2, all updates
installed. I do not have Norton but McAfee.

After the update, I uninstalled and re-installed Outlook Express and the
updates with McAfee off. I still could not retrieve my address book; I
received an error message "The Address Book appears to be corrupt and could
not open"

I checked my registry and it correctly indicated my default WAB file.

I have since uninstalled KB911567 but I reallize that, at some point, this
update should be installed. What can I do to be able to use my address book
then?
--
Denise

Bruce Hagen

Apr 15, 2006, 4:04:10 PM4/15/06
MS is aware of the problem. Until there is a fix, keep it un-installed.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

"Denise" <Den...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jim Pickering

Apr 15, 2006, 6:17:32 PM4/15/06
Denise: What happens if you go to Start/Run and type:
WAB /a
Please note the space between the end of WAB and the slash.

Your default address book should open and you can review the info here about
how to create a new WAB file:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm

Also search your hard drive for any files that contain the following ~ To
do that, just click Start/Search and enter the tilde < ~ > into the search
criteria box. Let us know if you find any files with that symbol and what
the names are.

--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express

ANONYMOUS

Apr 15, 2006, 8:29:01 PM4/15/06
From Stephen Hui [MSFT]
<begin quoted>
We've determined that the majority of the issues people are having with
MS06-015 / KB908531 are due to a bad interaction between the security
update
and a software component included with various HP hardware devices,
including but not limited to printers, scanners, and cameras.

Here are two fixes which should fix problems caused by the interaction
with
the HP software:
------------------------------

Option 1 - Modify the registry

- (If you have multiple user accounts set up) Log onto the computer
using an
account with Administrator privileges

- Click the Start button, then click Run and type "regedit" at the
prompt,
without the quotes; this will start Registry Editor

- Locate the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell
Extensions\Cached key in Registry Editor

- Right click on the key and select New / DWORD Value

- Rename the resulting value "{A4DF5659-0801-4A60-9607-1C48695EFDA9}
{000214E6-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} 0x401", without the quotes

- Right click the value, select Modify, and type "1" into the Value Data
field

- Close Registry Editor
------------------------------

Option 2 - Kill the HP process

- Wait until Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, or whichever component
is
encountering problems is in an unresponsive state

- Click the Start button, then select Run and type "taskmgr" at the
prompt,
without the quotes; this will start Task Manager

- Locate any instances of hpgs2wnd.exe or hpgs2wnf.exe in Task Manager,
then
right click on them and select End Process

(Note: Option 2 this may disable some HP device-specific functionality
until
you restart your computer.)

If your computer is not currently unresponsive, you should only have to
do
Option 1 or Option 2, not both. If your computer is currently
unresponsive,
you should be fixed by doing Option 2.

I'm very sorry about the inconvenience this has caused you all;
hopefully
this will get things back on track. Please note that MS06-015 fixes a
critical security vulnerability, so it's very important that you
reinstall
it as soon as possible if you've uninstalled it. Please also keep in
mind
that disabling Auto Update will leave your computer unprotected even
after
we release security updates. I understand that this experience has been
very frustrating for many of you, but I really must still strongly
recommend
that you leave Auto Update enabled for your own safety.
<end quoted>
- - - - -

ANONYMOUS

Apr 15, 2006, 8:28:11 PM4/15/06

PA Bear

Apr 15, 2006, 10:08:23 PM4/15/06
That fix is now covered in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Dan

Apr 16, 2006, 12:07:01 AM4/16/06
That 'fix' didn't work for me.

I also don't own anything HP related.

Hope they are still looking into it.

Bruce Hagen

Apr 16, 2006, 12:10:58 AM4/16/06
For information about patch KB911567, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#14

This article also applies to missing Address Books after updating.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

"Dan" <D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Denise

Apr 16, 2006, 12:48:01 PM4/16/06
Stephen,
I disabled McAfee, re-installed the update, and edited the registry. I have
not HP active tasks. I still have the same problem.
"Address Book file appears to be corrupt and could not be opened."

When I open Outlook Express 6:
"Unable to open the Address Book. The Address Book may not be installed
properly."
and for my email messages:
"The was an error opening this message. An error has occurred."

I have since uninstalled the update once again.
--
Denise

Bruce Hagen

Apr 16, 2006, 12:59:16 PM4/16/06
MS was made aware of the problem shortly after it's release on 4/11. How
long it will take them to *fix* their fix, I do not know. Your only option
is to keep the patch uninstalled until the problem is rectified.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express
~IB-CA~

"Denise" <Den...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Roland Bierlein

Apr 16, 2006, 1:46:09 PM4/16/06
Buenas tardes: *Denise* escribió:

> I disabled McAfee, re-installed the update, and edited the registry. I have
> not HP active tasks. I still have the same problem.
> "Address Book file appears to be corrupt and could not be opened."

Denise, this is small wonder, since the quote from Stephen Hui, which
ANONYMOUS quoted below, does not refer to the OE update in question,
but to KB908531, an update for Windows XP, which also was released on
this tuesday. There is no relation between the problems nor the
solutions of those both patches.

> I have since uninstalled the update once again.

Unfortunately, this is the only solution to your problem currently known.

> "ANONYMOUS" wrote:
>
>> From Stephen Hui [MSFT]
>> <begin quoted>
>> We've determined that the majority of the issues people are having with
>> MS06-015 / KB908531 are due to a bad interaction between the security
>> update

[snip]

Saludos
Roland
--
Probleme mit OE? Hier gibt es die Lösungen: <http://oe-faq.de>!

"Fröhlich sein, Gutes tun - und die Spatzen pfeifen lassen." (D. Bosco)

Denise

Apr 16, 2006, 3:43:02 PM4/16/06
Jim,
When I open Outlook Express 6, I receive the error message: Unable to open
the Address Book. The address Book may not be installed properly.

I did as you instructed but I still received the error message: The Address
Book file appears to be corrupt and could not be opened.

When I click on Tools Address Book, I received the error message: The
Address Book failed to load. Outlook Express is incorrectly Configured,
please re-install.

I tried all the command line switches for wab.exe:

wab /a
Error message: The Address Book file appears to be corrupt and could not be
opened.

wab /Open
I chose the WAB file that I had made as a backup but it opened an empty
Address Book.

wab /New
I created a new WAB file and tried to import the WAB backup file I had made
but I received the error message: An error occurred during the import
process. The import process could not be completed.

wab c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Address Book.wab (my backup copy
on my desktop)
The Address Book opened without entries.

Here is the search result list of “~” files:
Owner.wa~
Owner.wab~
--
Denise

Jim Pickering

Apr 16, 2006, 4:58:11 PM4/16/06

> Here is the search result list of “~” files:
> Owner.wa~
> Owner.wab~
> --

Hi Denise:

Check the properties of those two files to find the most recent one (right
click on the file and select Properties), then rename them to from their
present names to 1.WAB and 2.WAB and double click on each to open them and
see if you can find the contacts in them that are missing. If so, you can
create a new WAB file and either copy/paste the contacts from 1.WAB or 2.WAB
into your newly created WAB file and make it the default address book to
use. Good luck.

big giuliano

Apr 18, 2006, 5:29:02 AM4/18/06
Same problem. I think it'due I have an alternate folder for Mail and Wab (I
changed it). And you?

At the moment I uninsalled security update, and it's OK. Any other suggestion?