Can't embed a sound into email

1 view

dav...@tampabay.rr.com

Oct 21, 2005, 11:30:23 PM10/21/05
I am trying to embed a sound into a email so that it will play when
the email is opened. I followed the directions in Help by going to
Format, Background, Sound. I browse to a small wma file on my hard
drive and click OK. When I try to send the email I get an error
message that says, "one or more of the attached pictures could not be
found." I don't understand this. I'm not trying to send a picture. Is
there some trick to this?
Please help.
Thanks, David40

Bruce Hagen

Oct 21, 2005, 11:42:58 PM10/21/05
AFAIK, WAV & MIDI are the only ones supported by OE.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

"kcon...@tampabay.rr.com" <dav...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

Heirloom

Oct 21, 2005, 11:48:05 PM10/21/05
Try using a .wav file and see if it works.............could be wrong, but, I
think .wma is strictly Windows Media Audio.
See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883355 . There are ways to convert
.wma to .wav,
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=.wma+to+.wav+convert+file . Of
course, to add the sound, you have to be using Rich Text [HTML] format.
Heirloom, old and too deaf to care

Kuay Tim

Oct 22, 2005, 12:15:26 AM10/22/05
Hi David,

Bruce is correct that only (.wav) and (.mid) files can be embedded. Other
sound file types could be used if linked to a Web folder -- not embedded. Of
course, with the use of any sound file with a message one should be aware of
the size of the file and the connection type of the recipient.

--
Tim K.
aka Kuay Tim

dav...@tampabay.rr.com

Oct 22, 2005, 12:31:01 AM10/22/05
You are all correct the wav file worked perfectly. You would think the
geniuses at Microsoft would say something about that little requirement in
the help file somewhere. The SOBs wanted to charge me 35 bucks to give me
the instructions that should have been included with the product.
Thanks very much to all of you.
David40

Heather

Oct 22, 2005, 12:42:14 AM10/22/05
Hey, oh Ancient One.....you are getting way ahead of me!! Think I will fly
down to Texas for lessons, lol.

XX Figgs

"Heirloom" <rolan...@XXcox.net> wrote in message

Bruce Hagen

Oct 22, 2005, 12:43:11 AM10/22/05
YW. I have never bought a computer, or an associated product, that came with
sufficient instructions. I guess that's why we're here.

I do have a 1,400 + page manual for WinXP, but it's a lot easier to ask here
than to read *War and Peace*. <grin>

--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express
~IB-CA~

"kcon...@tampabay.rr.com" <dav...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

Heather

Oct 22, 2005, 12:47:24 AM10/22/05
LOL!! I just remembered I had a 999+ one and perhaps I should open it and
read it!!

But it is a lot easier to ask on here, as you say.

Cheers.....Heather

"Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

Bruce Hagen

Oct 22, 2005, 12:55:59 AM10/22/05
I've had it more that a year, Figgs, and I've only read about 10 pages. <eg>

--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

"Heather" <fi...@invalid.nospam> wrote in message

Heirloom

Oct 22, 2005, 11:15:55 AM10/22/05
The following file formats are useable by OE:
Audio files .wav, .snd, .au, .aif, .aifc, .aiff
MIDI files .mid, .rmi, .midi
Real Media files .ra, .rm, .ram, .rmm

Heirloom, old and got it from the KB

"Kuay Tim" <Tim...@msn.com> wrote in message

Kuay Tim

Oct 22, 2005, 12:56:21 PM10/22/05
Thanks, Heirloom. The file type (.wma), which is not on the list, can be
used as background sound if linked to a file in a Web folder. This can be
tested by using the link here...

http://home.earthlink.net/~kuaytim/cowboy.wma

With a new Rich Text message choose Format> background sound. Paste the link
into the file location box. There will be warning that the file cannot be
found -- ignore this. The sound in the message can be tested using preview
without actually sending (when connected to the Internet). It could also be
sent to yourself for testing.

Note: The sound clip is 134KB in size.
Note 2: Sound files can be quickly become too large to be practically used
with a low speed Internet connection. Use of large files with e-mail is a
common complaint of users.

--
Tim K.
aka Kuay Tim

"Heirloom" <rolan...@XXcox.net> wrote in message

Steve Cochran

Oct 23, 2005, 9:02:36 AM10/23/05
You can also look at the file extension drop down box when you do Format |
Background | Sound and it lists those various file types.

steve

Kuay Tim

Oct 23, 2005, 9:46:53 AM10/23/05
Steve,

Of course, that's where the trouble begins, with the drop down box that
lists one or two file types that cannot be used as embedded background
sound. Unfortunately, these include two of the better compressed music file
types.

Reference: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883355
Heirloom pointed some of this out.

<quote>
The recipient who reads the MHTML-formatted e-mail message does not hear the
sound.

This problem occurs even if the *.wma or *.mp3 file name extensions appear
in the Files of type box.

--
Tim K.
aka Kuay Tim

"Steve Cochran" <scoc...@oehelp.com> wrote in message

Steve Cochran

Oct 24, 2005, 7:06:37 AM10/24/05
Hi Tim,

I never saw those in the drop down box. I guess they added the type but not
the functionality.

cheers,

steve