outlook express trying to compact

Tom

Dec 20, 2004, 5:35:49 PM12/20/04
I am using Outlook express 6 with windows xp service pk 2 (all updates done)
It is asking to compact. I said cancel and went in went offline and
compacted each my folders individually. Outlook express keeps coming back
and asking to compact. Last time I let it compact it toasted most of my
saved files. I am still trying to recover them. How can I turn off that
message? Also after I extract the messages I set up a name exactly as it was
originally and try dragging them into that folder into Outlook express.
Rather than copying them into the folder, it opened up an outgoing message
box with them as attachments. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance and have a very Merry Christmas

Tom

PA Bear

Dec 20, 2004, 5:50:12 PM12/20/04
This is default behaviour in OE/WinXP SP2. You will be prompted to compact
all folders every one hundred (100) times you close OE.

In all likelihood, compacting your store didn't cause you to lose messages:

Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption and message loss. Disable it. It provides no additional
protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

Bruce Hagen

Dec 20, 2004, 5:51:04 PM12/20/04
If you turn off the message, it will compact after 100 closings of
OE without you knowing.

You can reset the counter to 0, (zero).

Go to: Start>Run>Regedit>OK and find this key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID for
Identity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0. In the right
hand pane and find *Compact Check Count* and set the value to 0,
(zero). This will reset the prompt, and you won't see it again for
another 100 closings.

However, if you do not compact your folders from time to time, you
stand a good chance of your .dbx files becoming corrupt and very
possibly lose your messages.

Or: Steve Cochran has added a button in his new version of OE Tool
that will not only Compact All Folders, but at the same time,
resets the "Compact Check Count" to zero whenever you compact
manually. You will see the prompt again if you do not compact
before 100 closings.

http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/

It is still advised to check Work Offline before you compact.

Please see this about compacting your folders:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

For your other problem, after you create the folder (with the
exact same name as the file) copy a message from anyplace into the
new folder. Now, when you drag the file to the folder it will ask
you if you want to overwrite - Click Yes.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - (IE/OE)

"Tom" <to...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

Dec 21, 2004, 9:30:42 AM12/21/04
"Tom" <to...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

Let it compact and don't touch the computer until it finishes.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com