mail button on internet explorer 6

maggie

Dec 29, 2002, 9:53:29 PM12/29/02
I finally got outlook express to work as my default
mail client. When I click on the mail button in Internet
Explorer it will open Outlook Express to read mail, but
it opens up CHOOSE A PROFILE in Microsoft Outlook when I
click on new message;send link; send page. Also when I
click on File > new message it opens up CHOOSE A
PROFILE. Is there something I need to change in the
registry to change this to outlook express?

Thanks

JethroUK

Dec 29, 2002, 10:23:43 PM12/29/02
i tried everything, only thing that worked for me was reinstall (which takes
about 10 mins):

To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP (works with Win2K too),
use the following registry key: (Start/Run/regedit)

1.. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
2.. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
3.. Quit Registry Editor, and then download and install Internet Explorer
6. For information about how o download and install Internet Explorer 6,
visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp
because ONLY Outlook Express will be installed it only takes few mins

--
"Stop following Jethro's uninformed, incomplete, and possibly dangerous
(IMHO) advice." - PA Bear

"maggie" <magg...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Dec 29, 2002, 11:34:42 PM12/29/02
Bah! Humbug! Reinstalling OE will not help.

Maggie, see this page of Steve Cochran's: http://www.oehelp.com/oelnk.aspx. Also make certain OE is the default Mail Client: http://www.oehelp.com/oedef.aspx.
--
HTH...Please post back to this thread (only),
advising what you tried and what did or didn't work.

~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

Jim Pickering

Dec 30, 2002, 12:00:15 AM12/30/02
Unable to reply to newsgroup.

Open Internet Explorer, click on Tools menu, Options, program Tab, set the
drop box for E-Mail to the client you choose for default. If no entry is
found, go to Start/Run, and type --with quotes--

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE" /REG

then set the client

or run the fixmapi tool discussed in the following article:

Messaging mail dialog on clicking the "Reply" link.
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q228/4/57.asp
--
Jim Pickering, MVP-Outlook Express
Please reply to newsgroup only.

maggie

Dec 30, 2002, 11:53:51 PM12/30/02
The links you gave me did not work. Sorry. I think you
understood my problem though. I do have outlook as my
default email client, finally. But the button on the
toolbar of Internet Explorer will not send a link or a
page from OE. OE opens when I click the read email on
the button but when I click Send Link Or Send Page it
opens to "Choose a Profile Microsoft Outlook" is only
one. I use XP and learned you can not uninstall and
reinstall IE anyway.
Thanks for you help.
>.

JethroUK

Dec 31, 2002, 5:24:50 AM12/31/02
the sites been down for few days now
the instructions i posted was snipped from MSKB "How to Reinstall or Repair
Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP".....
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q318378
....the snip was for OE only and takes about 10 mins...but that's not to say
there might better method