IE6 problems re KB908531 but unrelated to HP harware

winestain

Apr 16, 2006, 7:38:01 AM4/16/06
I am experiencing IE6 problems since updating with KB908531 but I have NO HP
hardware whatsoever.

I have WIN XP Home. My ISP is AOL. I get the following message when I log
on to AOL:

"DDE server window:rstrui.exe - Bad Image

The application or DDL C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshtml.DLL is not a valid
windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"
(ignore the quotes)

No pages will open on my AOL favourites, nor in IE favourites. My AOL
emails will open but with a "oops" message and no further copy.

Regards,

David DRX...@AOL.COM

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Apr 16, 2006, 7:58:07 AM4/16/06
Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security
update MS06-015
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165
"winestain" <wine...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Maurice N ~ MVP

Apr 16, 2006, 12:29:56 PM4/16/06
<kibbitz>

and http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-015.mspx which has been updated 4-15-2006

See also http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-015.mspx which was updated 4-15-2006

The 918165 article mentions Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software & Kerio personal firewall. If you have either, you're highly encouraged to read the articles.

If you have update 908531 AND you have Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software, then do see & I'd suggest you apply Freudi's registry patch
http://patch-info.de/WinXP/Downloads/KB908531_Share-To-Web.zip
Extract the ZIP file and afterwards double click the contained REG
file. Let it import into the registry.

</kibbitz>

If still stuck with a non-functional Internet Explorer, consider using Control Panel's Add or Remove programs, and remove update for 908351.

To remove windows update KB908531, do the following:

Go to Conrtol Panel, then select "Add or Remove Programs".

Be sure the "Change or Remove Programs" is active / highlighted (at top left of window).

Then look at "Show updates" checkbox (at top). Make sure it is selected (ticked).

Once the display is populated, scroll down to "Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531)". It should be near the bottom of the list.

Click on that item. You'll see a Remove button. Click on it if you wish to have it removed.

** Before you use Add-Remove Programs, be very sure you close all your open user programs (after saving any unsaved work). After this change takes effect, and IF this does not ask for a restart, then you should do a logoff and restart of Windows.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

winestain

Apr 16, 2006, 2:15:01 PM4/16/06
Thank you, Tom. However, I emphasise I have NO HP harware nor do I have
Kerio Firewall. I have carried out the procedures detailed in the support
link you suggested but still have the same problem and the same responses as
detailed in my original post. Any further suggestions bearing in mind the
following extracted from the last line or so of the support link:-
"Note: If other third-party COM controls or shell extensions are determined
to cause this issue, the same method must be used to add the appropriate
shell extension."

MayI add that at the same time as IE6 failed to work all trace of my System
Restore has disappeared!

Regards,

David. DRX...@AOL.COM

winestain

Jim

Apr 16, 2006, 10:24:01 PM4/16/06
I had the exact same problem and unistalled service pack 2 and now all is
well...just took all day figuring out what hacked my pc.

Good luck,

jim

Sandi Hardmeier - MVP

Apr 17, 2006, 2:59:07 AM4/17/06
It has been noted that NVIDIA software is also affected.

Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999
http://www.ie-vista.com
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org

"winestain" <wine...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

winestain

Apr 17, 2006, 3:49:01 AM4/17/06
Pardon me, Sandi, but what might that be and how would I know if I had such
software?

Regards,

David
DRX...@AOL.COM

Sandi Hardmeier - MVP

Apr 17, 2006, 3:57:41 AM4/17/06
Unfortunately I have not been able to clarify that. If you're using the
desktop management software I'd recommend uninstalling it.

Considering updates have apparently been released, I'd recommend you go to
the NVIDIA site and download any updates that apply to you.

Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999
http://www.ie-vista.com
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org

"winestain" <wine...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

rgray68

Apr 21, 2006, 7:08:01 PM4/21/06
Hello,

I had the same problem. I fixed mine by going into the command box and
running "chkdsk." Only did it check my hard drive, it deleted a ton of
corrupted files. As far as I can tell so far, everything I need is still
there.

Robin

Maurice N ~ MVP

Apr 22, 2006, 10:40:40 PM4/22/06
Hi Winestain,

My apologies for not checking here before this evening. Are you still having the same problem?

Assuming you still do:
I note from your pervious posts, you have Win Xp Home edition and IE6.
From your notes also, the copy of Rstrui.exe (a System Restore executable) is one issue. Also, Mshtml.dll
(btw, the mshtml.dll issue may truly be the root of your problem in IE).

Therefore, I'll suggest you run XP's System File Checker.
From Start menu, choose Run menu, select RUN
then type in
"SFC /SCANNOW" without the double quotes.

Have your XP CD at hand and ready , in case you're prompted to insert it.

Please reply here with findings, and also state whether or not you have removed 908351 update.
If you have not, then please refrain from doing that now.

References for your review:

Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update MS06-015

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165 <<---- Revison 3.0 dated 20 April 2006

Microsoft Security Center Blog
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/default.aspx <<--- That's the main page. Make sure you read the latest notes on "this issue".

Stephen Toulouse made 2 posts there on last Friday 21 April 2006. He's provided some additional details on Nvidia graphics cards.

My suggestions:
If there's a severe problem, and you do have an Nvidia graphics card, see which version and date your driver has. It really helps to know your graphic card's model number. Then check for the latest driver at http://www.nvidia.com/page/home.html
Click on "Download Drivers". Just insure it is one for your specific model.

With due credit to Dmitry for bringing this to light in the Windows Update newsgroup:
If you have an Nvidia graphics card on your computer, see if the computer also has Nview Desktop context menu.
Get the "ShellEXView" utility from this link
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Install it & run it to find out whether you have NView Desktop context menu.

If you do see it listed in ShellEXView, then "disable" it. Then see if your problems stop.

Even if you do not have NView, or Nvidia graphics card, get ShellEXView and see what other 3rd-party shell extensions this system has.
You're likely to see WINZIP as one of them, as it is very common. I'd advise you look at others listed & make an inventory.
Quoting Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP
<q>
The latest version of ShellExView marks all the non-Microsoft extensions in Pink for easy identification. All other types of shell extensions that ShellExView utility cannot recognize are categorized as "System" type.

<q>

Also see http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=19125

--
Maurice N
MS-MVP Windows (Shell / User), Aumha.net VSOP , DTS-L

"winestain" wrote in message news:4017FC8E-681A-4B7F...@microsoft.com...

> Thank you, Maurice. However, I emphasise I have NO HP harware nor do I have
> Kerio Firewall. I have carried out the procedures you suggested but still
> have the same problem and the same responses as detailed in my original post.
> Any further suggestions bearing in mind the following extracted from the
> last line or so of the support link:-
> "Note: If other third-party COM controls or shell extensions are determined
> to cause this issue, the same method must be used to add the appropriate
> shell extension."
> MayI add that at the same time as IE6 failed to work all trace of my System
> Restore has disappeared!
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

winestain

Apr 23, 2006, 3:12:01 AM4/23/06
Thank you Maurice. I shall try your proposed remedies later today. My Sony
Vaio laptop XP Home came pre-loaded so I don't have a disc. I'll let you
know the outcome.

In the meantime I've been busy on my domestic PC reading the many and varied
threads both here and in the XP discussion group and I'm aware of the
intended re-issue of the Security Update on Tuesday 25th. It strikes me that
there is an imminent high risk of further mass confusion unless folks are
advised how to apply this SU in the light of measures they may have
implemented in the intervening period and I count myself amongst this group
which two of my local independent IT retailers suggest numbers tens of
thousands nationwide in UK.

Regards,

David DRX...@AOL.COM

Maurice N ~ MVP

Apr 23, 2006, 8:55:14 AM4/23/06
Hello David,

Apparently your reference to mass confusion is about the update of 25 April.

Q: If you have not applied security update 908531 yet, or if you have removed it previously, what happens on 25 April ?

A: A website visit by you to Windows / Microsoft Update or your Automatic Updates will result in a prompt for the modified version of this update.

Q: How do I know it /has/ been released by MS on 25 April ?

A: I am almost certain there will be an announcement on the MS Security Response Center Blog and on Technet.

MSRC Blog is at http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/default.aspx

Technet Security Center is at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx

You can also sign up for notifications on security updates from Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/notify.mspx

Finally, to quote Stephen Toulouse at Microsoft:
source http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/default.aspx
<QUOTE>
When the update is re-released, it's going to be very much targeted to people who are having the problem, or people who have not installed MS06-015 yet. That means if you have already installed MS06-015 and are not having the problem, there's no action here for you. Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Automatic Update will have detection logic built into them to only offer the revised update (which essentially includes the reg key fix) to those customers who either don't have MS06-015 or are having the problem.

</Quote>

HTH