Re: Removing IE7/Restoring IE6

Jan Il

Feb 4, 2006, 5:33:24 PM2/4/06
Hi barrowhill :-)

Kelly's site has a fix which changes the IsInstalled flag value to 0. =
This enables reinstallation of IE.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/reg...s/ieinstall.reg

Just download and double-click, then proceed to reinstal IE.

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE [DTS/AumHa]
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> I'm not sure if this is right forum but I decided to download and try IE7
> beta 2 on XP test machine. Installed, I thought Ok, but get error message
> connecting to Internet - Procedure entry point failure. Decided to revert
> IE6. Couldn't find in Add/Remove though every article assured I would.
> So,
> decide to repair of XP. Fine no problem. Followed KB 318378 and tried to
> reinstall IE6. Says internet Tools not the correct files for OS and newer
> version already insatalled so set up can't continue.
>
> How do I get back to IE6 and get rid of IE7????? Have Opera and Firefox
> on
> PC so access to internet not a problem.

barrowhill

Feb 4, 2006, 6:04:26 PM2/4/06
Jan,

Thanks for prompt response. Unformtunately link gives page not found
message (?) I've gone to kelly's corner but location of "fix" not easily
found. Could you repost link.

Jan Il

Feb 4, 2006, 6:22:59 PM2/4/06
Hi barrowhill :-)

I am gettiing the same error page. Let me check and see what is going on.
It was recently working, but, the webmaster may have it off line for
updating.

I'll be back with our shortly.

Don Varnau

Feb 4, 2006, 6:23:15 PM2/4/06
Go to Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs.
Check "Show Updates" at the top. Look for Internet Explorer 7 in the list of
Microsoft updates.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"barrowhill" <barrowhill[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

barrowhill

Feb 4, 2006, 6:40:27 PM2/4/06
Don,

I did....Show updates definetly ticked. Double checked all displayed
updates and didn't see one for ie7. Thats when I decided to do an XP repair.
If you look now then no windows updates shown at all - I thought on repair
you didn't necessarilly lose any/all updates, this only if re-installing.
All other installed programs functioning OK

Jan Il

Feb 4, 2006, 6:51:48 PM2/4/06
Hi barrowhill :-)

Here are the manual steps for the fix:

First, go to Start>Run>type in regedit and hit enter
Click on File on the toolbar and click Export to back up your Registry.
Make sure you make a not of where it is saved in case you need to restore
it.

Then in the left panel go to:
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components
Scroll down to {89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
Click on it to view the contents
In the right side of the panel you should see IsInstalled. Double click on
that and when the box opens there will be a window in with a 1 in it.
Change that to 0 and click ok.

Then try reinstalling IE again.

Jan Il

Feb 4, 2006, 8:21:17 PM2/4/06
Hi barrowhill :-)

If you don't want to try the Registry youself, this link should work now for
the link to Kelly's website to download the fix. However, this is only if
you have already uninstalled the IE7 and are trying to reinstall IE6.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/ieinstall.reg

PA Bear

Feb 4, 2006, 10:02:45 PM2/4/06
From where did you download IE7 B2P?

Did you install it in the unsupported side-by-side configuration?

Have you tried using System Restore?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

barrowhill

Feb 5, 2006, 7:11:28 AM2/5/06
PA Bear

Downloaded from Microsoft ...\IE\ie7\ie7betaredirect.mspx. I don't
understand the side-by-side configuration. I can't remember being given a
choice (?)

barrowhill

Feb 5, 2006, 7:28:42 AM2/5/06
Jan,

Thanks. I've saved file on desktop. Not run as note need to have IE7
uninstalled. As indicated on "other" post, Ie7 installed and can't get reid
of. I found following file in C:\windows directory; $Ntuninstallie7bet2p$,
when I choose to view hidden files and folders. I went to spuninst folder
and tried to run spuninst.exe. I get error window saying it can't be
unistalled from this user account (?) I need to log onto account which was
used to install it. Now I'm puzzled!! I'm the only user and their are no
other accounts !!!!

barrowhill

Feb 5, 2006, 8:59:00 AM2/5/06
PA Bear,

I didn't complete answering your queries on previous post. Yes I did try
system restore, but unfortunately this was after I done an XP repair
installation. had only one system check point to restore to and this was
after IE7 installed. As a not I read
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/ie/releasenotes/default.aspx) that Reapair install
of XP does not work after IE7 install (?). Mine appeared to as I got no
indication that it didn't. Perhaps thts why I'm having problems getting rid
of it.

Don Varnau

Feb 5, 2006, 10:35:45 AM2/5/06
Regarding:

"can't be unistalled from this user account"

From Sandi H. Posted to internetexplorer.general...

Go to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer. Right
click on Internet Explorer and select New String Value. Name that value
InstalledByUser. The value of the new String should be your User account
name.

You should backup the registry or create a Restore Point first. Let us know
if you need help with the registry edit.

=

barrowhill

Feb 5, 2006, 11:46:22 AM2/5/06
Don,

Thanks for reply. I've done as suggested. Value Name and Value data set
and confirmed . We are getting there. Initially RUNDLL error window stating:

Error loading C:\windpws\system32\msfeeds.dll.
The specified procedure could not be found.

Clicking OK (?), file deletion continued and ended up with window stating
that IE7 successfully removed - Thankyou very much. Rebooted successfully,
clicked desktop IE icon and connected to internet. Great!!

Went to Windows Update site (had earlier done a repair install) . Advised
that I needed to upgrade some of the components to use the latest version of
windows update. Unhappily in failed to successfully install Windows
Installer 3.1 so can't progress further. Should I open new request for this
problem????

Jan Il

Feb 5, 2006, 12:57:51 PM2/5/06
Hi barrowhill :-)

No...do not open a new post. Continue to stay with this thread as it is
best to keep all the prior information and what has, and has not, been done
or advised to avoid repetition, or confusion.

Try the workaround in the information here and see if it will help with the
msfeeds.dll error:

# re: IE7 Beta 2 Preview Available
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/01/31/520812.aspx#521034

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE [DTS/AumHa]
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

barrowhill

Feb 5, 2006, 1:40:29 PM2/5/06
Jan,

Thanks for reply. Followed linked and performed actions.......Restarted PC,
connected update site but still can't install installer v3.1. Having removed
IE7 (c:\windows\$Ntuninstallie7bet2p$ folder (and hence contents) no longer
there, I decided to re-install IE6 from CD....here we go again!! IE and
tools files incorrect for OS, need to download and says have newer version of
IE installed. Now what version is this ????

PA Bear

Feb 5, 2006, 1:49:50 PM2/5/06
What lead you to (have to) do a Repair Install, BH?

barrowhill

Feb 5, 2006, 2:26:34 PM2/5/06
PA Bear,

Frustration and ignorance. Thought that would restore IE6. I guess, no, I
know now, I was wrong.

PA Bear

Feb 5, 2006, 2:31:09 PM2/5/06
If you were having problems that were being caused by hijackware,
/formatting/ and reinstalling Windows should have fixed it. It you did a
Repair Install, it probably wouldn't. Your current problem with
uninstalling IE7 B2P is most likely related to this.
--
~PA Bear

barrowhill

Feb 5, 2006, 3:11:27 PM2/5/06
WPA Bear,

I wasn't having problems with hijackware. well protected on that front.
Just had problems with installing/running IE7 Beta2. Not sure/confident it
is truly deleted but latest state is that that there are no reference to
IE7*.* on the machine. I can connect to the internet via IE desktop icon. I
assume this to be IE6. to be sure I've performed "repairs". 1) ran sfc
/scannow. this was OK, didn't require any files. 2) ran install of ie.inf.
Some file activity and assume repaired. Problem is now with windows
installer 3.1 in that I can't install it. I don't know why, but I thought
that I'd go to download centre and download IE6 SP1 and (re) install. It was
then I was informed that a newer version (IE7??) was detected and setup could
not continue. Went back and ran search for IE7*.* but nothing. I'm lost.

Jan Il

Feb 5, 2006, 3:12:44 PM2/5/06
Hi barrowhill :-)

Take a look at the information PA Bear has posted for you down a ways here.
He may have information that will help with this stalmate.

barrowhill

Feb 5, 2006, 4:39:28 PM2/5/06
Jan,

I have. See last response to PA Bear. As it concludes, I'm lost.

Jan Il

Feb 5, 2006, 5:35:31 PM2/5/06
Hi barrowhill :-)

Well...now that you appear to have IE7 uninstalled, go ahead and run the fix
I told you not to run until you had deleted IE7. Go here
Enable Reinstallation of Internet Explorer or OE
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (line 114, one the right
side)

Then just download and double-click, then proceed to reinstal IE.

NOTE: For SP2 -
If you have SP2, you will first have to uninstall it. Then run the utility
as descripbed above.
Ieinstall.reg simply makes the registry edit that's called for in the 2nd
half of

Then visit the Windows Update to let it scan for any necessary updates.

PA Bear

Feb 5, 2006, 5:44:38 PM2/5/06
IE Help > About: What version of IE is shown here?

barrowhill

Feb 5, 2006, 6:24:16 PM2/5/06
Jan,

I was loathe to try it as if I tried to install IE6 from CD or from
download site always said newer version installed. IE/Help showed IE6 ....I
also felt that even if this was reporting incorrectly the fact that I
couldn't install Installer v3.1 meant I had something wrong here as well.

Good news is I've resolved all problems or I hope I have. Downloading all
outstanding updates currently (2315 GMT) .......................

Installer file.....checked version of msi.dll found to be v3.0.......
Compared with 3.1.... on another machine. Tried to overwite "old" with new
but it wouldn't have it always showed 3.0..... Tried to delete but auto
reinstalled (I'd disabled installer service through services console. Please
explain why if you know).

Next thought best to remover any (3.0/3.1) installer package on PC.
Add/Remove programs didn't show any package but fortunately have a little
program called Reg Supreme Pro which identified 3.1 as being installed. Used
this to remove it. Then downloaded 3.1 redistributable V2 from download site
and had successful (re) install.

Connect to Update site and voila! Now valid (non-corrupt) installer package.
This time able to identify all outstanding updates - just checked machine and
now fully updated. Looks like OK now.

Many thanks to you Jan and also Don and PA Bear for help and support on this

barrowhill

Feb 5, 2006, 6:26:28 PM2/5/06
PA Bear,

Please see my final response to Jan. All explained and again, many thanks

Jan Il

Feb 5, 2006, 6:31:57 PM2/5/06
Hi barrowhill :-)

You're very welcome! I'm truly very glad to hear you were able to resolve
your
problem. You did a great job! :-)

Thank you very much for posting back and letting us know what worked for
you, and for the benefit of other readers who might have a similar problem.

kalmike

Feb 10, 2006, 4:04:26 PM2/10/06
hello
I beleive you can find MSIE7 in the ADD/REMOVE if you click on the box that
says SHOW UPDATES

hope this helps

mike

barrowhill

Feb 11, 2006, 10:30:27 AM2/11/06
Mike,

Issue resolved. Please see rest of posts. I'd checked add/remove + Show
updates under control panel but on my system wasn't shown (?), hence the post.

barrowhill

Feb 19, 2006, 9:31:29 AM2/19/06
chdudley,

Go to Control Panel and click Add/remove icon. You SHOULD see it there.
Remove. In my case - see previous posts - it wasn't, so a bit of a nightmare
to get rid of. I have to concur, in present state, not worth it the hassle.