Why can't I access two secure web sites and what can I do???

Ernie

Jan 28, 2005, 11:29:04 AM1/28/05
I have tried for three weeks now to access two particular websites and I feel
the Internet Explorer Settings (Service PackTwo) may be wrong but I do not
know what I can do to correct this. I set everything to the default setting
in the IE settings for Internet Explorer. Now I tried other browsers like
Firefox from Mozilla and Netscape to and they all refused to connect to these
websites: www.disney.com and www.emusic.com. What can I do and can anyone
help me?

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

Jan 28, 2005, 1:43:13 PM1/28/05
"Ernie" <Er...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

From http://www.fjsmjs.com/IE/hosts.htm

There is a problem with Web accelerator programs. One of the things just
about all of these programs do is save time questioning the Domain Name
Server to find the IP address by putting the domain name and address on a
line in a file in C:\Windows called Hosts with no extension (not Hosts.sam,
which is just a sample file). This File may be hidden, so in Windows
Explorer go to View | Folder Options and, under Hidden Files, click the
radio button for "Show all files". IE then never does a DNS lookup,
trusting that file. This saves a miniscule amount of time until the IP
address is changed. Then IE cannot find the site any more.

Open HOSTS with Notepad and remove any lines referencing the problem Web
sites.

Uninstall the web accelerator. Then open Hosts with Notepad and remove the
line referring to that site. Better yet, if you are not on a network, rename
Hosts to Hosts.old. If you are on a network there may be other lines in
Hosts necessary to proper functioning of the network.

Also see this article:

Troubleshooting Browsing Error Messages in Microsoft Internet Explorer

http://support.microsoft.com/support/IE/ie5/topics/browse/iebrowseemts.asp

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Ernie

Jan 28, 2005, 7:13:03 PM1/28/05
Frank:

I appreciate the time you took for me but unfortunately none of this helped
me. It has boggled so many people who have tried to help me. I looked up
every file names HOSTS using search and opened all of them. They were either
a sample file, .SAM which is not able to be opened or blank with nothing in
it. The website
http://support.microsoft.com/support/IE/ie5/topics/browse/iebrowseemts.asp
is no longer available it says on the microsoft pahe. I uninstalled
NetAccelerator and even ran a registry and temp folders cleaner as normal.
Still I cannot access www.disney.com and www.emusic.com but I can access all
other sites. WHY? I am NOT on a network. I only have cable modem access which
is high speed broadband through Comcast. Any more help people?

Ernie Mink

Robert Aldwinckle

Feb 4, 2005, 2:45:54 PM2/4/05
"Ernie" <Er...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD6B9C0C-6B7D-454B...@microsoft.com...

> Frank:
>
> I appreciate the time you took for me but unfortunately none of this helped
> me. It has boggled so many people who have tried to help me. I looked up
> every file names HOSTS using search and opened all of them. They were either
> a sample file, .SAM which is not able to be opened or blank with nothing in
> it. The website
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/IE/ie5/topics/browse/iebrowseemts.asp
> is no longer available it says on the microsoft pahe.

That was just an old link to the IE5 FAQ.
Try what is probably the same thing in the IE6 FAQ.

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/2073/en-us/?sid=79&aid=3

(Support Home Page, Internet Explorer (Solution Center)
Connecting (Topic), More - Troubleshooting)

At least for the Disney site the following may apply:

<title>&quot;500 - Internet Server Error&quot; error message when you
use Internet Explorer and a cable modem or a DSL connection to try to
connect to an IIS site that is running on a Windows 2000 Professional-
based server</title>

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;886216&spid=2073&sid=global

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle