RE: Disable internet access in a limited user account

1 view

Michael

Dec 16, 2005, 1:47:02 PM12/16/05
In case anyone was interested you can indeed do this by simply telling IE to
work in a non-exesistant proxy server. (I used 10.0.0.1:5555). Then locking
out access to the Internet Options menu by adding a simple registry value
NoBrowserOptions to the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions
If the Restrictions key does not exist then create it.
A value of 1 disables the Internet Option menu. Since this must be done in
the user's account and the Limited User does not have access to the registry
you will need to use the RunAs feature by going to C:\%WindowsRoot% and right
clicking on the Regedit.exe file, selecting RunAs and signing on as a user
with administator privilages. Hope this helps some of you.--

-Michael

"Michael" wrote:

> Is there a reliable way to disable or restrict access to the internet via
> I.E.6 within a limited user account without effecting the access or an
> administrator account on the same box? I am using both Windows 2000 SP4 and
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> --
> -Michael

PhilDoc

Dec 30, 2005, 6:59:02 PM12/30/05
I did it a little differently. Open windows explorer and go to the program
file for internet explorer or any web browser on the computer. Right-click
on the folder. Open sharing and security. Select the security tab. Select
the user you wish to limit and deny all permissions. Click apply then OK.
When the user clicks the IE icon, nothing happens.