Cannot access ebay and amazon web pages

Jenny

Jul 5, 2005, 10:33:01 AM7/5/05
Since about June 15 I have been unable to access ebay, papyal and amazon web
pages. I get The page cannot be displayed error message.
I have put these pages in my secure sites and still not able to open them.
How can I fix this problem?

AAH

Jul 5, 2005, 10:42:28 AM7/5/05
Same to me in case of both sites.

"Jenny" <Je...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

tedlincoln

Jul 5, 2005, 12:01:10 PM7/5/05
I've had the same problem accessing ebay and amazon. Anybody know
what's going on?

Message has been deleted

Emrys Davies

Jul 5, 2005, 12:06:55 PM7/5/05
"Jenny" <Je...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jenny,

This with courtesy of Frank Saunders MS-MVP

Check for a file named HOSTS with no extension (not Hosts.sam). It may
be a
hidden file. Open it with Notepad and remove any line referencing the
site.
Or, rename HOSTS to OLDHOSTS

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

tedlincoln

Jul 5, 2005, 12:39:17 PM7/5/05
Thank you Mr/Ms Davies. That worked good, "why' I don't know.

Emrys Davies

Jul 5, 2005, 12:55:48 PM7/5/05
"tedlincoln" <tedli...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Thank you Mr/Ms Davies. That worked good, "why' I don't know.

Pleased that it was helpful. Out of interest, what did you find when
you opened the HOST file?

This site may help you understand what actually happened.
http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

tedlincoln

Jul 5, 2005, 1:01:38 PM7/5/05
My system has several flavors of HOST file, upper case, lower case,
subscript #1, etc. I looked in all of them and deleted entries for
Amazon, ebay, and paypal.

Emrys Davies

Jul 5, 2005, 1:13:50 PM7/5/05

> My system has several flavors of HOST file, upper case, lower case,
> subscript #1, etc. I looked in all of them and deleted entries for
> Amazon, ebay, and paypal.

Interesting to see that it contained Amazon and Ebay.

I have renamed my HOST file to OLDHOSTS and it has caused me no
problems. You can either do that or peep into it if you get further
problems with internet access.

I wish you well.

Regards,
Emrys Davies (Mr)

AAH

Jul 5, 2005, 7:59:54 PM7/5/05
My Hosts file downloaded from
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
has quite a few entries
127.0.0.1 ie spy ad #amazon.com

"Emrys Davies" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Jenny

Jul 5, 2005, 8:52:05 PM7/5/05
I searched for HOSTS and found only imhosts.sam
What do I do now?

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

Jul 6, 2005, 12:49:07 AM7/6/05
"Jenny" <Je...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Windows version, including any Service Pack?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Jenny

Jul 6, 2005, 7:45:02 AM7/6/05
I dug manually in the system folder and found two versions of hosts file,
deleted references to the sites as suggested and all is working fine now!
Thanks for your help. Any suggestions as to how this occurred? I have
automatic updates set and am concerned these two thuings may be related as
the dates match.

Emrys Davies

Jul 6, 2005, 11:09:35 AM7/6/05

> I dug manually in the system folder and found two versions of hosts
file,
> deleted references to the sites as suggested and all is working fine
now!
> Thanks for your help. Any suggestions as to how this occurred?

Jenny,

This site may help you understand Hosts file.

RRR_News

Jul 6, 2005, 12:24:40 PM7/6/05
If you have installed any anti-spy or ad-blocking software, some include of list of sites that can be added to the HOSTS file.

Another thing could be that you may have or had spyware on your PC that altered your HOSTS file, even if you thought you remove it. For some, it takes manual file and or registry changes, in addition to what a removal program will do automatically.

--

Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

brl

Aug 7, 2005, 8:03:04 PM8/7/05
Ok...checked all the HOSTS files, nothing. Not sure when this started, but
so far only amazon is affected...most likely because we don't use ebay or the
others.

When I attempt to open www.amazon.com, I get diverted to
http:///?%20www.amazon.com, and 'page not found'. Added amazon to
trusted sites, tried to follow various ms troubleshooting dissertations, and
so
far no luck. Running IE6.0 SP2 on XP with SP2.

I've disabled pop-ups.

Any help would be appreciated...