Re: Stop the IE 7 get it now offer

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 20, 2008, 9:04:53 PM2/20/08
Is IE7 already installed or don't you want to install it?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

t848 wrote:
> How do I stop the IE7 get it now web page from comming up when I start my
> IE. It has taken over my home page.
> TB

Debiuk

Feb 20, 2008, 10:07:00 PM2/20/08
Hello,
I am having the same problem and have sent PA Bear an email about it because
I could't post on here until now. I use IE6 and do not want IE7. I would like
to get rid of the "Get It Now" offer so when I open my browser my homepage
opens again. I hope someone can help with this problem.
Thanks!!
Debi

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 21, 2008, 1:41:54 AM2/21/08
@Debi: Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan |
Uncheck/deselect IE7 then "hide" it | Install any other critical updates
offered.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

a.tho...@ntlworld.com

Feb 21, 2008, 9:37:01 PM2/21/08
Hello,

I have done what you said to do (Windows Updated) and I am still
getting that page overriding my homepage. I had previously hidden the
IE7 upgrade so I don't understand why it was showing again. In fact,
I went to the update site yesterday to check that very thing and the
upgrade to IE7 was not showing as an option but when I did the same
today it was showing, strange.

Anything you can suggest to help me get my homepage back will be
appreciated.

Thank you,
Debi

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 21, 2008, 11:31:12 PM2/21/08
[You made it! <wink> To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you
include all of previous message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank
you.]

1. IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically check
for IE updates (uncheck this option)

2. If you can't make your desired IE homepage "stick", one or more
options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party applications may
be disallowing the change (as well as the change in #1 above). These include
but are not limited to Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, Norton AntiVirus, McAfee
VirusScan and/or Antispyware, and Zone Alarm (Free and Pro).

3. Please confirm that IE7 is now/still "hidden" at Windows Update.
--
~PA Bear

<paste>

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> @Debi: Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan |
> Uncheck/deselect IE7 then "hide" it | Install any other critical updates
> offered.
>

> Debiuk wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am having the same problem and have sent PA Bear an email about it
>> because
>> I could't post on here until now. I use IE6 and do not want IE7. I would
>> like to get rid of the "Get It Now" offer so when I open my browser my
>> homepage opens again. I hope someone can help with this problem.

<snip>

syc...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2008, 1:12:22 AM3/22/08
On Feb 21, 11:31 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [You made it! <wink>  To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you
> include all of previous message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup.  Thank
> you.]
>
> 1. IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically check
> for IE updates (uncheck this option)
>
> 2. If you can't make your desired IE homepage "stick", one or more
> options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party applications may
> be disallowing the change (as well as the change in #1 above). These include
> but are not limited to Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
> SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, Norton AntiVirus, McAfee
> VirusScan and/or Antispyware, and Zone Alarm (Free and Pro).
>
> 3. Please confirm that IE7 is now/still "hidden" at Windows Update.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> a.thoms...@ntlworld.com wrote:
> > I have done what you said to do (Windows Updated) and I am still
> > getting that page overriding my homepage.  I had previously hidden the
> > IE7 upgrade so I don't understand why it was showing again.  In fact,
> > I went to the update site yesterday to check that very thing and the
> > upgrade to IE7 was not showing as an option but when I did the same
> > today it was showing, strange.
>
> > Anything you can suggest to help me get my homepage back will be
> > appreciated.
>
> <paste>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:> @Debi: Go tohttp://windowsupdate.microsoft.com| Select CUSTOM and scan |

> > Uncheck/deselect IE7 then "hide" it | Install any other critical updates
> > offered.
>
> > Debiuk wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> I am having the same problem and have sent PA Bear an email about it
> >> because
> >> I could't post on here until now. I use IE6 and do not want IE7. I would
> >> like to get rid of the "Get It Now" offer so when I open my browser my
> >> homepage opens again. I hope someone can help with this problem.
>
> <snip>

I am having the same issue. I select internet explorer and instead of
my homepage (google) popping up. A offer for the window explorer 7
download comes up. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx.
I had explorer 7 on my computer already. Why it continues to pop up I
do not know. I put it in the site not allowed field and it didn't
work. I did what was mentioned above and both those didn't work.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Mar 22, 2008, 10:42:47 AM3/22/08
<syc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I am having the same issue. I select internet explorer and instead of

my homepage (google) popping up. A offer for the window explorer 7
download comes up.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx.
I had explorer 7 on my computer already. Why it continues to pop up I
do not know. I put it in the site not allowed field and it didn't
work. I did what was mentioned above and both those didn't work.

------------------separator needed because of----------------------------
Google's use of Quoterd Printable

It might be a security program blocking the Registry change it needs to
make. A few, but not all, of the programs now doing this are:
Ad-aware's Ad-Watch
IBM Access Connections
Kaspersky
McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware
Norton AV
Spyware Blaster
Spybot> Tools> IE Tweaks
Spybot- Teatimer
Spysweeper
Spyware Doctor
Windows Defender
Zone Alarm (free) 6.5 Reported to be fixed in later versions.

In the case of Zone Alarm 6.5 or Norton 2007 it actually has to be
uninstalled. Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on until you
reinstall Zone Alarm.

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking and try the change.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com

syc...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2008, 2:54:01 PM3/22/08
On Mar 22, 9:42 am, "Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM"
> download comes up.http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx.
> Do not reply with email- Hide quoted text -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I changed the registry. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft
\Internet Explorer\Main]
"First Home Page"="http://www.google.com/"

Now it is fixed.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Mar 22, 2008, 7:46:29 PM3/22/08
<syc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Now it is fixed.

If it changes back after restarting the computer then it's a security
program.